Sonichu: The Unofficial Game
- Emulator used: BizHawk 1.11.6/1.11.7
- Takes damage to save time
- Abuses programming errors
- Heavy glitch abuse
- Heavily abuses the spindash
- Unofficial game
Hi everybody! After a couple of months of not TASing cuz of YT stuff and motivation, I bring you this new Pokémon Adventure TAS! This is an improvement of 1:10 (a minute and ten secs) over my original TAS of this game WAY back in 2014, 2 years ago... damn i feel old now...
Also this is the 3rd TAS I've made of a Pokémon bootleg game. Yeah, it's a yearly tradition at this point.
For the people unfamiliar with this game, this is an unlicensed GameBoy game released in the year 2000 by Yong Yong. This is actually a hack of another Yong Yong game called Sonic Adventure 7, which was a hack of Sonic 3D Blast 5, also released by Yong Yong.
This game has gained more notoriety thanks to JonTron's Bootleg Pokémon Games video.
This game is really bad, if you couldn't tell, thanks to some very bad and delayed controls, hitbox weirdness, it's bad music, the spindash being useless for casual play, and obviously stolen assets.
Tricks n' stuff
- Spindashing: You can't kill enemies with it. However you can go fast with this. This is extensively abused in every single stage. Important things to note are that your hitbox becomes larger, so I need to stay away from enemies a little bit. Also to note is when I stop to perform it. You need to stand still in order to do it (which is definitely NOT easy to do at all), and because of the ridicolously delayed controls it's not so easy to use either. But hey, that didn't stopped me from beating stages super fast!
- Taking damage: I abuse this a lot too, not as much as spindashing, but still. I use this to my advantage to do even more spindashes when I can. On spikes or lava, you can jump while getting hit a second time, this is seen only on stages 4/5.
- Walking (really): When you go forward, sometimes you won't stop moving even though you aren't holding any buttons. Other times you will stop moving for few frames not because you're standing still like an idiot, but because that's how the game works... really, the controls are that delayed. Other times when you jump and you want to turn around, the game will take like a second to turn you around. ye dis games bad.
- Going through enemies: not moving, but still moving can lead to this glitch happen. You can go through enemies for limited time, this is abused to turn around, take damage and do more spindashes.
- Managing Pokéballs: Get hit once, you'll ball count gets to 0, get hit twice, you die and lose a life. Managing these is integral for optimal damage boosting.
Stage by stage comments
This is where most of the new tricks come from. The lower route was still faster, and spindashing was really put into some use here.
Jumping on enemies is slower than avoiding them, that's why I do it only like twice through the whole stage.
Spindash abuse at it's finest. This one was tricky since theres many enemies I need to avoid jumping on.
This is the first instance of me using the spike jumping trick. This is also the the stage where you'll see me going through enemies the most, like stage 2.
This features lava, these are spikes, but also featuring fireballs. These things can screw you over, so I'm forced to slow down a bit to avoid getting hit by them.
- There's a glitch that lets you fall through platforms, maybe it can be used in stages 2 and 4. But It's unlikely that it will save time in stage 2. Wasn't able to do it in stage 4 either.
- When you jump, don't hold anything. When you land, you'll move again some frames earlier. Occasionally saves time, sometimes. The game's so fucking unstable it's not sync friendly at all.
- To Spikestuff, PikachuMan, jlun2 and arandomgameTASer for posting in the thread.
- To Mothrayas, for telling me to take my time to make these TAS things 2 years ago, it really made me improve TASing after all this time.
- To Samsara, for that WIP 2 years ago, and for trying to help me TAS this game.
<post something here>
What's next? Well finish my YT stuff, of course. Also finish Giana Sisters, an upcoming dumped bootleg featuring that grass Johto starter, and MAYBE do a little improvement of that one bootleg that got me started... i dunno bout that really.
PIKA! TNX 4 WATCHING! I hope you enjoyed! i hope...
: We've had similar fare for bootleg games accepted in the past, and this isn't really any worse. The gameplay looks somewhat interesting (even if the game is still terrible), but viewer feedback was mixed on it. Accepting for the Vault.