"Mega Man IV" in 34:55.45 also known as Rockman World 4 (ロックマンワールド4 in Japan) is the fourth installment in the handheld version of the Mega Man series. The game continues the quest of the protagonist, Mega Man, in a never-ending struggle with his long-time nemesis, Dr. Wily. Mega Man IV features the ability to purchase items with drops found throughout each stage. The Mega-Buster received an upgrade after Mega Man III, and Mega Man now gets knocked back by recoil when firing a fully charged shot. As with previous Game Boy releases, the game incorporates gameplay elements and bosses from two sequential Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) games: Mega Man 4 and Mega Man 5.
- Pressing UP on the D-Pad immediately ends a slide ( it also removes a Lagframe sometimes,often used in spots Megaman has to wait and Lag appears, e.g. Bossfights, or Midbosses ).
- shooting e.g. to the right locks megaman to the direction for several frames, which means you can´t slide to the left or turn around, to avoid this you have to jump. If you´re wondering why you want to turn around after you were shooting it´s really simple, normally Megaman has a 9 Frame cooldown after he has done a shot but turning around on the first frame possible and going back to the other side enables him to shoot earlier ( see the Big Metcannon fights on Wily Space Ship for an example - Megaman looks like he´s firing a machine gun :^D ).
- Rush Jet movement is fixed.
- In boss battles where I use the Buster, I alternate charged and non-charged shots, on Game Boy the boss invulnerability time is so short (30 frames) and the charge-up time is so long (90 frames) that it actually saves time to fire a small shot after every large shot!
- It is worth mentioning that after each Boss fight, the player has to stand in the middle! Boss bubbles don't have to leave the screen to activate the Get Weapon animation earlier.
- Knockback from the full charged Bustershot can be used a shortcut in Crystalman stage.
- Using the japanese Rom gives us: faster gamestart (~255frames) , magically less lag in some areas and even though it doesn´t matter that much faster textboxes.
Improvement by Stage:
- lots of small improvements ( subpixel, Lagmanagement )
- better Bossfight
- magically saved 1 frame in the stage loading \&(´ω´)
- better refill management, Lag and Subpixel optimizations
- just Lagmanagement and Subpixel
- 1 more Rushcoil in the Spike section
- better Bossfight ( -> better charging of Pharao )
Satellite / Ballade:
- usage of the Shot-cooldown-Trick to charge up Pharao earlier
- better fight against Ballade
- better Lagmanagement in the Stage
- better Bossfight ( using two full charged shots in the beginning of the Fight )
- magically saved 10 frame in the stage loading \&(´ω´)
- used the Knockback from the full charged buster to avoid a Diamond Joe \&(´ω´)
- skipping one pillar
- found out that you can get hit by two Crystalshots at the same time for double the damage ( 6 indstead of 3 ) therefore it´s faster to get 2 refills and get rid of the Lag in the whole fight by getting hit by only 1 Crystalshot and collect the rest afterwards.
- Lots of Lagmanagement and Subpixel
- Lagmanagement and Subpixel
- better way to pickup the Letter in the Stage
- lost 2 Frames in the fight due to Lag :(
Ballade #2 & Escape:
- less Lagframes in the Ballade Fight
- major improvement in the Lagsection figured out that you can skip some bombs, because the explosion hitbox moves in a circle, enables me to shortcut a little. Also less weapon changing!
Runway & Cranefight:
- better Pharao refill spot -> less Lag
Wily Eye #1:
- way better Lag + Rushjet management
- the Wily Eye fight is strange you´re able to move for 2-5 frames and get locked after that before the fight starts - it´s enough to make a slide closer to the Wily Eye, still saved a bunch of Lagframes in this fight
Wily Eye #2:
- better Route to the fight, less Lag, better movement
- figured out I could hit both Eyes cause they do not share the same invincible counter
- since I refilled Ringboomerang before the #2 Wily Eye I just needed to refill Pharao shot for the refights, luckily Napalman Fight is in the Top-Right and he´s weak to Pharao.
- I went clockwise and figured out that the global timer for the teleport out of a room is fixed after the Boss is dead, so I get hit on purpose to avoid Lag from the Refill pallet since it doesn´t stop the timer.
- removed some Lagframes here and there :)
- - resambles Frames gained
| Stage name|| Frames|| total|
| Pre Pharaoman (loading/gamestart)|| -257|| -257|
| Pharaoman Stage|| -154|| -411|
| Pharaoman Fight|| -66|| -477|
| Pre Ringman (loading)|| -1|| -478|
| Ringman Stage|| -141|| -619|
| Ringman Fight|| -34|| -653|
| Pre Toadman (loading)|| -2|| -655|
| Toadman Stage|| -27|| -682|
| Toadman Fight|| -1|| -683|
| Pre Brightman (loading)|| 0|| -683|
| Brightman Stage|| -273|| -956|
| Brightman Fight|| -46|| -1002|
| Satellite Fight / Cutscene|| -60|| -1062|
| Ballade #1 Fight|| -60|| -1122|
| Pre Chargeman (loading)|| 0|| -1122|
| Chargeman Stage|| -38|| -1160|
| Chargeman Fight|| -91|| -1251|
| Pre Crystalman (loading)|| -10|| -1261|
| Crystalman Stage|| -144|| -1405|
| Crystalman Fight|| -118|| -1523|
| Pre Napalman (loading)|| 0|| -1523|
| Napalman Stage|| -191|| -1714|
| Napalman Fight|| -19|| -1733|
| Pre Stoneman (loading)|| 0|| -1733|
| Stoneman Stage|| -104|| -1837|
| Stoneman Fight|| +2|| -1835|
| Ballade #2 Stage+Fight|| -44|| -1879|
| Escape|| -332|| -2211|
| Shopping (textboxes)|| -8|| -2219|
| Crane Fight (+runway Metcannons|| -49|| -2268|
| Stage before Wily eye #1 + Fight|| -282|| -2550|
| Stage before Wily eye #2 + Fight|| -115|| -2665|
| Refights|| -677|| -3342|
| Wily Cutscene / Refills|| -56|| -3398|
| Wily 1 Fight|| -14|| -3412|
| Wily 2 Fight|| -30|| -3442|
| Wily 3 Fight|| -16|| -3458|
| Total|| -3458|
Here is the Frametable for all the Stages + Cutscenes in comparsion.
Big thanks to the TAS Megaman GB Crew:
As screenshot I suggest:
: Mega Judging IV: GB Edition!
: I have to say, very nice work on the improvement Tremane! Optimization was solid and the audience response was positive.
Accepting as an improvement to the previous movie.