A simple run of the first level of Super Mario Bros. There are some imperfections, but I'm pretty proud of the decent strategies I was able to come up with. Note that although you can technically count it as a speedrun, my main motive was not to beat any records but just see what I could do with the TAS editor. If this is taken down, I completely understand, as it definitely isn't breaking any records.
NOTE: This was run with a plain old Super Mario Bros. ROM, meaning there was no other game (e.g. Duck Hunt, World Class Track Meet) packaged with it. Neither was it running with a Game Genie ROM. If you are experiencing desync, check that you are using a plain/unaltered ROM. I used FCEUX 2.2.2 and I have mapped the default keyboard layout to both P1 and P2 controller inputs. I didn't use a BIOS. I don't believe I abuse any programming errors.
Super Mario Bros. is a famous and iconic game where you move around as a character named Mario, jump to collect coins and contents in bricks, and kill enemies by stomping on them (among other things). In short, it's a very nice game for its time with intriguing graphics, sound, and gameplay. (that's a very brief description)
The purpose of this run was mostly to be entertaining, play around with the TAS editor, and try to be as fast as possible at the same time. The hardest part for me was the underground section because there's a section of blocks in between you and the pipe, and it's big enough where you can't just jump over it. So you have to perform multiple jumps, but they have to be extremely precise to efficiently get in the small space between the barrier and the pipe. This was challenging to pull off in a decent fashion, even in TAS. Although the run is short, I find it entertaining.
Possibly decent strategies I used in the movie:
- The part at the beginning where I hit multiple blocks and perform multiple jumps.
- The part at the end where I use an interesting method to go up the stairs.
Flaws I noticed:
- Having to wait for Mario to slide down the pipe entry before hitting the ground and being able to enter (underground section).
Things inspired from other runs:
- The strategy of only slightly moving right when dropping down into the underground section.
: Hello thegoldfish, and welcome to TASVideos. I'm cancelling your submission, as it does not comply with the submission rules
and has some other issues:
- It does not clear the game. Clearing only a single level is not accepted.
- It misses tricks such as the flagpole glitch, and has other optimization issues. The published any% movie leaves 1-1 with the timer at 370, whereas yours does at 369. Movies must not lose to existing records.
Better luck next time!