Post subject: test run WIP #1
Senior Moderator
So, as some of you may know, I'm currently working on a test run for my upcoming low% TAS. I'm fighting Torizo at the moment. Since the beginning is always similar in any type of run, I decided I'd show a bit of it so you could see the optimizations I was talking about all the time. Here's the first (not sure whether it will be the last) WIP of a test run: WIP #1: Landing site → Bombs. It's precisely half a second ahead of JXQ in ingame time, yet it contains some very small mistakes I've listed here (I didn't plan on releasing a WIP when I compiled that list, so it was timed by the full .smv; the offset is ~15350 frames). This is only a test run — the final run will certainly be faster and more clean. New and almost new tricks and strategies showcased: 1200—1300: so called "moozooh jump". Saves at least 4 frames and looks nicer due to not having to land. 4000—4100: contrary to the popular belief, mockballing straight to the platform at a right speed is faster than unmorphing and running. 4400—4450: "catnap jump". I improved it by clearing the top row of blocks in one shot. 4450—4500: morphing serves multiple purposes here. It pushes my hitbox down, it gives me more maneurability, and finally, it lets me land in a crouched position to shoot the door before I roll up to it. 6480: hopping cancels the turnaround animation and thus lets me shoot the door much faster. The drawback is that I have to wait until Samus drops down (I miss SMR's gravity!), so it only saves 2 frames here. 6780: missile accelerates slower than a regular shot, so it scares the pirate one frame later than usual, saving a frame. Other improvements come from better precision and jump timing. Enjoy.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
0 rerecords? EDIT: That being said, there's no movie info
Senior Moderator
P.JBoy wrote:
0 rerecords?
Yeah, that was played in single segment, I'm that good! Seriously, though, it's a side-effect of savestateifying it. The actual rerecord count is 5400 (relatively low, but I barely spent any rerecords on Ceres).
P.JBoy wrote:
EDIT: That being said, there's no movie info
See above.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
Woah, those pirate rooms were smoooth!
Senior Moderator
Thanks, those two rooms are the only ones I'm fully satisfied with, [almost] all the others need both speed and style improvements. If you find a speed improvement, feel free to edit the page and add it there.
Warp wrote:
Player (209)
Incredible WIP indeed. Obviously and noticeably faster than anything we have seen around Super Metroid before (not counting my WIP), even when watching at 100% speed! Great Job on the typical moozooh-run, keep it up!
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Tub
I don't have much to contribute, I just wanted to say: moozooh, that looks friggin awesome!
m00
nice wip moozooh, i liked "your" jump it makes the screen to move a bit ugly thats cool :p and... saturn, is your wip really really faster then moozoohs now :x? arr i need to see it ;_;!
Senior Moderator
evilchen wrote:
saturn, is your wip really really faster then moozoohs now :x?
It isn't. Saturn will likely have to redo it once again, since it turns out that I gained 23-24 frames on it in the segment shown here. Obviously, it isn't the limit (see the notes page), so he can improve my WIP by a few more frames if he does his best. :) Besides, he is much more experienced than me when it comes to figuring out the paths in complex rooms, so the real feats will come in the more distant future.
Warp wrote:
Senior Moderator
So, I've just beat my old single-segment record (00:59) on a new Snes9x 1.51. The new record is 00:57, and it's still full of suck and fail. If you want to see how SM looks and sounds on a new emulator, here's the movie file. (Will be hosted there until Microstorage starts accepting new SMVs.) The main reason I've brought it up, though, is to demonstrate the differences in emulation. Graphics: as you see, there's no more annoying line of pixels under the status bar, and that's perfect. The colors are a tiny bit more clean and natural (unless it's my imagination), and resemble ZSNES somewhat. Look especially close at some effects like Phantoon's death. It's MUCH better now. Sound: I didn't like the default sound, and never will: 32 KHz + interpolation = mufflefest. And there are still some sound quirks noticeable in several places, where the pitch of a sound is different, or when one of the channels sounds quiteter, if at all. The amount of these quirks is similar to that of 1.43's, they're just a bit different. Timing, etc.: I'm not sure why, but it feels as if there's more lag. There, however, isn't. Must be something with its intesity in certain spots (timed on powerbombs). Draygon's turrets attack faster, Ridley spews a lot of fireballs. Space/time beam doesn't work at all.
Warp wrote:
Post subject: Re: test run WIP #1
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
moozooh wrote:
WIP #1: Landing site → Bombs.
Which version of SNES9x did you use? Desyncs here... :/
Senior Moderator
1.43 rerecording v9, I believe. try to turn off the flags except WIP1 timing.
Warp wrote:
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Nope - Samus shoots that one stalactite (instead of the door), goes twice through the door and ends right of her ship at the wall of destructible stone.
Player (209)
It worked for me with Snes9xv1.43 improvement9 and following sync settings enabled: - WIP1 timing - Fake Mute Desync Workaround - Sync Samples With Sound CPU If that still isn't helping, then maybe you use a different ROM version of Super Metroid? Otherwise I can't see a reason why this shouldn't be in sync.
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Works for me in Snes9x 1.5.1, which I got specifically to view the run, which I won't comment on because I still haven't actually beat the game! Your WIP, however, is incredible. Keep it up!
Senior Moderator
Jweb Guru wrote:
Works for me in Snes9x 1.5.1
Wait wait wait wait. Is it my unassisted run that works there, or the WIP I made? (Or both?)
Warp wrote:
Unassisted. I have no idea whether the WIP does, though I suspect it doesn't. The WIP definitely works on 1.4.3, whatever the input-display corrected version is that I got to see JXQ's run.
Senior Moderator
Oh. I thought you managed to watch my WIP on 1.51.
Warp wrote:
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
I found the problem: cheats were enabled (the result can be seen here: link). I suspect it was because I used SNES9x v1.51 before (which has them enabled by default), but further testing seems to contradict that. I don't recall enabling them... :/ moozooh: The movie you PM'd me also desynced: link *g* Of course it works now. :)
If someone would like to try something that may only happen on a real Super Famicom (not Super Nintendo because I don't have the PAL version), he can ask me, I can try anything since I got the game ^^ (and I hope it doesn't hurt the cartridge, it's in excellent condition)
Good TASer needed! If anyone has the time needed and is willing to help me then please do. I've just read the Phantoon 2 rounding strategy and done it on console, but it's been said that there's a straight pattern that Phantoon always does making the strategy easier, that's at least on NTSC-version. What I would need is to someone test it on PAL-version and see if it works and if it does, then how. Maybe smv would help me realise how it all goes. The exact strategy is explained here: http://www.metroid2002.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2285&start=460 And if you're asking why I'm not trying this myself, I have tried but couldn't do it anyway. EDIT: To straighten things up, I did it on PAL-version on console, but not using that strategy explained at the M2K2. I think Phantoon might have some different patterns on PAL, and that pb shield loads up some longer possibly making that pattern actually not work, that's where I need a good TASer.
<Deign> .dice 1d1999191023443691 <BisqBot> Deign rolls a blackhole and destroys the planet.
Player (209)
I think I mentioned Phantoons exact acting patterns somewhere around a 3/4 year ago, but here again: Phantoon has straight patterns, but there are always like 4 different ones, and it gets decided which one to use from the very beginning already. The first set of patterns gets decided at the time you enter his room already, no matter what you do in the time before he appears the first time on screen. All the next ones get decided at the time you hit his eye. Sooner or later by 1 frame will already change his patterns. So yes, even if all his moves are fixed, they get still executed randomly depending on purely your acting. And since they all change in a unpredictable way during one single frame interval, there is basicly 0% chance for the player to force him to do exactly the pattern you wish without pure luck. I'm 99,9% sure that this patterns work same in both PAL and NTSC version, so it doesn't really matter which one you use.
Thanks Saturn, that helped me a lot. :) Too bad the 2 round kill is so much about luck.
<Deign> .dice 1d1999191023443691 <BisqBot> Deign rolls a blackhole and destroys the planet.
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/5560/10.smv thats my progress - iam just doing it for fun and iam far away from being perfect so >_< but a question: how am i able to get threw this room a hit does -60 energy
Senior Moderator
evilchen wrote:
how am i able to get threw this room a hit does -60 energy
Either by taking an additional etank, or by taking both an additional etank and an Ice beam. But if you're going to do it the hard way, you need to get more hp and take knockbacks only from the wavers on the way to the X-ray room, and trying to do the same on the way back (which will be harder). You know, I would rather consider taking the Ice beam in any case, since you wouldn't want to spend hours luck-manipulating metroids to give you only powerbomb refills.
Warp wrote: