I received this submission in email from mr. Mana's friend, mr. Pom.
It was made using VirtuaNES 0.92, but I converted it to Famtasia format using blip's conversion utility.
The movie originally had a 72-frame wait at the startup screen and stopped the movie a little late, because the author believed that only the time between pressing Start and at the end matters. However, because we need to be able to calculate and compare times precisely, I updated the movie to eliminate these delays.
This required me to replay some parts of the movie due to changed enemy paths. The parts were:
  • 8-2: time=354
  • 8-3: time=296
  • 8-3: time=293
  • 8-3: time=279-275
  • 8-3: time=269-250
  • 8-4: time=315
Regardless of these changes, I still consider this Mana.'s work.
This is a full completion of SMB and aims for speed and entertainment. It does not have any other mathematical goal (such as best score).
Mr. Mana. is Japanese and not really skilled in English language, but he is registered at the nesvideos forums.

Hopefully someone can get a sub 5 minute video. Michael would know more than I would if that's possible with all of the glitches used now. I don't know a whole lot about creating these videos, but I'd assume Michael would be able to pump this out somewhat fast seeing how he only needs to change a few things and the length of time he's worked on SMB in the past.
ALRIGHTEE! If the battle is on and there was a lot of sloppiness, shall we take some bets on how fast this NEW run will be? Remember though, no one predicted Arc coulda nailed his new Metroid run 41 seconds faster.. closest was what... 17? So keep in mind, this is gonna get groovy. :) I predict a final time of 4:56 myself. But this is essentially pushing everything beyond belief... I'm probably so off it isn't even funny, but then again... ;) I'm putting faith in this "TOP SECRET". Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Former player
IMO the fact that he didn't collect all coins made the video even better. For example in 8-1 he jumps under the coins but over the large pits. This to me expresses way more skill to me than just jumping higher and collecting the coins. My vote is yes.
4:56 is stretching it too far I think. Personally, I'm looking toward either 4:59 or 5:00.
Former player
I just hope it can be done in under an hour.
ventuz
He/Him
Player (123)
Bladegash wrote:
I just hope it can be done in under an hour.
What you mean by "it"? It's a 5 min vid.
I liked that Mana hit the 1-up in 4-1, even though you can collect 2 coins there instead. I think it adds a little variety to an otherwise boring level. You might think about doing the same.
Maybe he means the creation of the run. If he means the run itself, then he just HAS to be joking.
Player (70)
I voted YES on this run because it was awesome to watch. How ever I can't wait until the improved version are out there.
Player (67)
Wow... improved SMB? Awesome! I'm going to wait for the AVI though...
Former player
I'd like an avi as well.
Former player
If the battle is on and there was a lot of sloppiness, shall we take some bets on how fast this NEW run will be? Yesterday I did the first two levels in my video, and I'll start working on it again soon. Luckily I didn't get any homework today so I'll probably get a lot done. I'll be able to tell you exactly how fast it will be when I'm done with 4-2 because I don't know of any ways to improve 8-1 to 8-4, so I can just check how much ahead of my old movie I am after 4-2 and subtract that from 5:03.73. As for predictions, I'll guess my run will be about a second faster than Mana's.
Editor, Active player (296)
Michael Fried wrote:
Luckily I didn't get any homework today so I'll probably get a lot done. I'll be able to tell you exactly how fast it will be when I'm done with 4-2 because I don't know of any ways to improve 8-1 to 8-4, so I can just check how much ahead of my old movie I am after 4-2 and subtract that from 5:03.73. As for predictions, I'll guess my run will be about a second faster than Mana's.
I hope you realize that Mana's movie, if it will be handled, is the 5:01.27 long version mentioned earlier in this thread. You're competing against that, not the one with a long intro screen wait.
Former player
I hope you realize that Mana's movie, if it will be handled, is the 5:01.27 long version mentioned earlier in this thread. You're competing against that, not the one with a long intro screen wait. I know that, when I said 1 second faster I was including the delays that you already took out, so I'm expecting it to be somewhere in the low 5:00s, maybe even 4:59 if I'm lucky. Anyway, I just finished 4-1, so I just need to do one more level and then I'll know for sure how long it'll be.
Good luck.
Indeed. Below 5:00 would be amazing, to say the least. ^^
I upgraded this topic / submission to have the 5:01 version of the movie. In the process, the votes were lost. Doesn't matter. :)
As for the entertainment value of this movie (regarding coins and such), I don't think we should go too mechanical about it. This movie aims for fast time and it gets it.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [242] NES Super Mario Bros. "warps" by Mana. in 05:01.27