Submission Text Full Submission Page

Overview

The Terminator has grown to be one of my favorite Sega Genesis Games over the course of TASing it. This is my best TAS yet with faster and more optimized Gunshots in the 2nd(L.A. 1984) and 3rd(Police Station) levels and more interesting ways to manipulate enemies and such with tweaking.

Goals of the run

• Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses Programming Errors in the Game
  • Takes Damage to save time
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Plays on Hardest difficulty

Tweaking

This is used in many games. Here it can be used to manipulate enemies and where in the level they will spawn. In the last level it is used twice; Once to jump over the Terminator easier and the other is near the end to spawn it closer on the next ledge.

Screenshots

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. I'm not sure I got the right ROM though. (I tried Terminator 2 - Judgment Day (UE) [!].gen, which was the closest match to what you wrote.) Well, here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.
kchrules: Thats Terminator 2 Judgement Day not The Terminator.

Truncated: Rejected, again. See the previous submissions for rationale.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2002: kchrules's Genesis The Terminator in 05:57.82
Experienced player (822)
Truncated wrote:
I am rejecting this submission due to generally negative feedback. It seems that the choice of game isn't good.[/quote]
Truncated wrote:
I will reject this, again. ... This game is just lacking in possibility to do something interesting. Even with optimal gunfights, I doubt a movie of this game would be publishable. I advise that you find a better suited game, and better luck next time.[/quote]
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
mmbossman wrote:
Truncated wrote:
I am rejecting this submission due to generally negative feedback. It seems that the choice of game isn't good.
Truncated wrote:
I will reject this, again. ... This game is just lacking in possibility to do something interesting. Even with optimal gunfights, I doubt a movie of this game would be publishable. I advise that you find a better suited game, and better luck next time.[/quote][/quote] Did you even watch the movie? I bet not because you don't have a reason within the movie to vote no.
Currently working on: -Possibly the Wily Tower (Mega Man the Wily Wars)
Experienced player (822)
I did watch it, it was just as boring as the previous submissions. This game in a nutshell: Run slow, shoot, run slow, shoot, jump awkwardly, run slow, shoot some more, jump awkwardly. Repeat for 6 minutes. If the previous movies had been rejected for being unoptimized, I wouldn't fault you for submitting again. But they were rejected for it being a bad game to TAS, as was explained twice. So how you can claim that I "don't have a reason within the movie to vote no" absolutely baffles me.
mmbossman wrote:
I did watch it, it was just as boring as the previous submissions. This game in a nutshell: Run slow, shoot, run slow, shoot, jump awkwardly, run slow, shoot some more, jump awkwardly. Repeat for 6 minutes. If the previous movies had been rejected for being unoptimized, I wouldn't fault you for submitting again. But they were rejected for it being a bad game to TAS, as was explained twice. So how you can claim that I "don't have a reason within the movie to vote no" absolutely baffles me.
Oh sorry I thought you hadn't watched it.
I've never played this game before, but I think I know what's going on. In Level 1, Kyle Reese breaks into the Skynet compound and sends himself back to 1984. In Level 2, Kyle has just stolen some clothes from the department store and is being attacked by a whole bunch of police helicopters. That's not in the movie, but whatever. So, he's killing gang members, who presumably have it coming for living a life of crime, but why is he shooting police officers? Then he rescues Sarah from Arnie in the bar. In Level 3, he's breaking out of a huge police station, which for some reason has a lot of criminals running around in it, and again shooting police officers. I guess it's worth taking a few innocent lives to save the savior of humanity, but couldn't he try to avoid it? How many games are there where you're supposed to kill cops? Okay, so once again he rescues Sarah before Arnie can get to her. Why is this game all about Kyle? Okay, so Level 4 skips the exciting car chase (what?) and goes right to Arnie having his flesh barbecued off and he's chased them into the factory. Surely at this point the game is finally going to be about Sarah Connor after Kyle sacrifices himself. Nope. Kyle runs through the factory, and the limping Terminator keeps popping up everywhere. Why are there so many freaking Terminators? Okay, so there's a big exciting boss fight now, right? Nope, just avoid Arnie until you can find the helpless and cowering Sarah, and the press crushes the Terminator, presumably activated by Buddha. It wasn't Sarah, so some higher power must have decided to save her. So... did I enjoy watching this movie? Well, that's an obvious no. Sarah is an NPC in a game about a movie that is kind of about her. The levels are linear and seem to be very short, and it looks like you're just supposed to follow the path and occasionally stop to shoot bad guys, some of whom are good guys. Kyle never fights the Terminator at any point. I know he mostly fled from the Terminator in the movie -- firing shots to slow him down and doing enough damage to force Arnie to perform some home surgery on his eye -- but have you ever heard of an action video game without a boss fight? Other than the first level, every level ends when Kyle reaches Sarah. No big boss fight with Skynet or a Terminator in 2029, no big gun fight in the bar, no manufactured boss fight in the police station, and no duking it out in the factory. Just get from Point A to Point B and you win. Not even a boss fight in the final level. I'm just amazed by this design decision. This game is sometimes too faithful to the movie (no boss fights), and sometimes not faithful enough (Kyle wiping out the LAPD instead of Arnie). I didn't care for it. I think this game failed as a Terminator game, and the people who designed it should have to sit in a corner and think about what they've done.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
I noticed that you made a strange jump at the final ladder in the first level. Your character zipped upwards through the ground very fast. Could you have used this trick in some other ladders too, to speed up the climbing?
Post subject: Re: kchrules!
Aqfaq wrote:
I noticed that you made a strange jump at the final ladder in the first level. Your character zipped upwards through the ground very fast. Could you have used this trick in some other ladders too, to speed up the climbing?
Probably Not
Experienced player (822)
kchrules wrote:
Aqfaq wrote:
Probably Not
Meaning it's very hard to do? Or you don't know what causes it and haven't tested the other ladders for the same effect?
kchrules wrote:
Aqfaq wrote:
Probably Not
Probably Unoptimized!
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Post subject: Re: Spartacus!
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
mmbossman wrote:
kchrules wrote:
Aqfaq wrote:
Probably Not
Meaning it's very hard to do? Or you don't know what causes it and haven't tested the other ladders for the same effect?
I'd guess the latter.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
mmbossman wrote:
kchrules wrote:
Aqfaq wrote:
Probably Not
There has to be ALOT of solid ground around the ladder.