Super Metroid 14% (aka. glitchless/legit Low%) TAS v1.1 by Saturn

Recorded on Snes9x 1.43-improvement9 (but works on future versions of the Snes9x 1.43 series just fine as well)

Sync Settings

• WIP 1 Timing: ON
  • Left+Right/Up+Down: OFF
  • Volume Envelope Height Reading: OFF
  • Fake Mute desync workaround: ON
  • Sync samples with sound CPU: ON

Attributes of this run

• 14% mode (beats the game with the least amount of items possible in legal conditions)
  • aims for fastest possible time, both, real- and ingame time wise
  • takes damage to save time
  • very high luck manipulation (especially to get optimal refills)
  • abuses glitches (but not the major out of room ones the 6% TAS does)
  • Genre: Platformer
  • Total Frames: 153428
Addendum by Bisqwit: "legal conditions" as defined here: Forum/Posts/184660 and Forum/Posts/184775 according to the author.
Suggested screenshot:

About the Game

Super Metroid is a classic platformer with many advanced techniques and a very fine, subpixel-based move engine. The story is about a bounty hunter called Samus who has the goal to explore a foreign planet called Zebes to find and destroy Mother Brain, the evil leader of the galaxy who is breeding a mighty species called Metroids to abuse them for her own benefits. During the journey you will find alot of items such as new ammo, energy tanks, special upgrades that speed you up or allow to pass certain areas you would normally not be able to, and making your character strong enough to be ready for the upcoming showdown against Mother Brain.
Despite being 14 years old by now, it is considered as one of the best games ever made, and is still played by many people on a regular basis. Due to the many different move techniques, a high variety through the new upgrades, and alot of route possibilities, this game is a very common target for many types of speedruns and playthroughs.

Moviemaking & Comments

As promised in the Super Metroid thread, here is my first version of a 14% TAS. I mainly recorded it between July 19, 2007 and January 1 2008 (v1.0), with a small improvement added during the big Metroid escape in July 2008 (v1.1). It's a huge improvement to the previous run, beating it by gigantic 30517 frames (or ~8,5 minutes) of realtime, and achieving a record-time completion of 0:27 minutes on the game clock (or 27:59 to be more exactly), which is definitely the limit for a glitchless 14% run. On top of that I managed to avoid the pause screen / menu entrance completely except to execute the unavoidable Gravity Jump, getting a optimal realtime as well while making the run more entertaining to watch due to less interruptions.
During the making of the run I managed to develop some really cool techs never done before, most noticeably the "WS-Lake horizontal bomb jump" without collecting the Missile pack, and also many new strategies at bosses (especially on Ridley and Draygon) to still beat them very quickly, even with the very limited conditions in ammo and equipment. Finally the run uses a fully optimized route to avoid backtracking as much as possible.
All in all, the quality of the run is very high, and it's only improvable by at most 15 seconds in the early parts of the run (the late ones are pretty much flawless with a few tiny exceptions worth of single frames only). Ammo and energy management is excellent over the entire run, and in fact, the refill drops are so good in this one that I doubt they could be reproduced without sacrificing realtime by entering the menu to manipulate them, which would in any case result in possible slowdowns to compensate that.
Seeing that the 14% category got kind of obsoleted by the 6% NBMB one (although they can't really be compared to each other), I don't expect this to be published, despite the huge and ground breaking improvement. My intention with this submission is to just contribute a unique run that sets a eternal ingame completion record to this site for the many people who want to see it, especially for those who have problems downloading large video files due to slow connections. It's definitely not less entertaining than the 6% NBMB TAS overall, so maybe it's worth to at least include this submission to the description of it without necessary publishing, like it was done a couple of times before. There is also a concept demo section for runs that aim for special goals like this one, so it would eventually fit there as well.

Ice VS Speed

In a 14% run, you must either take the Ice Beam, or Speed Booster. Both items, as different as they are, have the same purpose: They are required to get past the pre-Botwoon room and through the Zebetites in Tourian. I collected the Ice Beam in this run because my tests have confirmed that it is at least 75 ingame seconds (and even more realtime sec) faster in the end, despite of the slower running speed and the missing shinesparks. The reason is that Ice Beam does 50% more damage than the normal beam you have to use when picking up Speed Booster, and therefore speeds up boss battles with much HP alot. In fact, the Mother Brain fight alone already compensates the entire losses of the lacking Speed Booster, with additional big time saver at Ridley and the Metroids (which you would have to slowly PB otherwise).

Thanks

• Terimakasih -- for his previous 0:35 run. He used a nearly same route, which helped alot in the decision to pick Ice over Speed Booster, giving me a pretty accurate estimation before even starting this run that the former will be a faster choice especially due to early Wrecked Ship.
  • Cpadolf -- for his new technique to escape the big Metroid even faster. It was the key to get the 0:27 time in this run.
  • Hero of the Day -- for his any% v1 in 0:25 run. It was of great help to me when comparing the Speed Booster gains and allowed me to estimate the rough completion time of this run already back at Ridley.
  • Moozooh -- for the Torizo Skip, and for motivating me to start this run parallelly to his own 14% one that would use the Speed Booster route. I actually hoped he would finish his one so that we would have TASes for both routes and a better comparison between them, but unfortunately it didn't want to happen.
And everybody else who has contributed something useful for SM-TASing.

Notes

For those interested, this run is also available on YouTube.
Enjoy!

mmbossman: I’m rejecting this run for the following reasons:
Primary reason - Quoting the Judge Guidelines: ‘’Keep the number of different branches per a game minimal.’’ This run is an attempt to resurrect a movie branch that is now obsolete, as there is already a true low% Super Metroid run published, and I see no need to resurrect a dead category. Considering that the previous 14% run was left unimproved for 4 years, while multiple other Super Metroid runs were improved (and added) several times, it shows that there is a lack of interest in the Super Metroid TAS community in this category, which can likely be correlated to a lower interest in this category from the TASvideos community in general. When compared to the three currently published "non-glitched" runs, this movie provides very little additional entertainment value for viewers who do not closely follow Super Metroid techniques and tricks.
Secondary reason - The goals of this run, along with the execution of those goals, are nebulous. The author has stated an obvious preference towards ‘’maximally optimized subpixel position’’ techniques in the latter half of his run, while rationalizing intentionally missed techniques in the first half of the run by saying they ‘’add up to the entertainment level of the run’’. I am not against entertainment tradeoffs at the expense of speed, however those exceptions should be made clear in the submission text, not explained away afterward (and especially not in the passive aggressive manner shown by the author). Additionally, very little attempt is made in the submission text to define what makes a run ‘’legit’’ in the authors mind, and the issue is further clouded by admitting to abusing other glitches. This lack of clear goals is the second reason this submission is rejected.

Saturn:
Dear mmbossman, the goals of this run are as clear as they can be: Completing the game with the minimal amount of items without skipping bosses and use major glitches. The explanation of "legal conditions" wasn't stated in the submission text because I expected it to be a obvious thing to anybody who knows at least a bit about Super Metroid (since those who don't, wouldn't even care to watch this run). Besides, it was explained in the discussion tread here, or here. You apparently still fail to realize that the 6% run you labeled as "true low%" skips 90% of the game and all bosses, so it can't be put into the classic low% category this run represents, that exists for almost any game.
Also, the clear majority of people have stated that they enjoyed the run and think the category is good. I'm not sure if ignoring all this people and just go by your own biased opinion is a good thing, especially for the TAS community as a whole, which because of that will miss a very unique and entertaining quality run that would only enrich this site due to the many people who would definitely be interested to see it. Too bad.

mmbossman: For my rebuttal to Saturn's complaints, see the following links: Link 1 Link 2 Link 3 Link 4

Saturn:
Since we're at it, mmbossman forgot Link 5, for a clear and detailed explanation to his "multiple goal problem". Didn't seem to arrive yet, but hey, it's not too late.

Bisqwit starts concentrating on a new spell.
Bisqwit holds up a diamond and whispers the magic words "herää".
Pieces of #2136: Saturn's SNES Super Metroid "glitchless low%" in 42:37.13 surface from various positions in the ground
and come together forming a living submission!
Eww! The pieces stink like grue excrement ― hardly surprising,
considering the circumstances in which they were deposited.
Bisqwit starts concentrating on a new spell.
Bisqwit empties a bag of fairy dust at #2136: Saturn's SNES Super Metroid "glitchless low%" in 42:37.13 and sings "wunderbaum, wunderbaum".
The foul smell of #2136: Saturn's SNES Super Metroid "glitchless low%" in 42:37.13 is neutralized!
Submission 2136 has been resurrected from the dead.

Bisqwit: Decision: Submission postponed until a time we can have arbitrary goal movies without making the site unmanageable.

adelikat: Decision: rejected until a time we can have arbitrary goal movies without making the site unmanageable

Nach: Since the above has now come to fruition, accepting.
feos: Processing.......

1 2
6 7 8
12 13
Experienced player (822)
Saturn wrote:
mmbossman wrote:
When coupled with the same amount running from room to room, plus more door transitions, I think that the 6% is more entertaining overall.
With what you are clearly in the minority as seen in the thread. Does it provide you the right to ignore the majority of the audience and just go by your personal tastes? I don't think this happened before here.
I did not reject it because I may have found it less entertaining than the 6% run; I was providing that as a counter example directed at a critique of one of my (many) reasons for rejection. The whole of my reasons are highlighted in red above, if you would like to provide arguments against them (as a whole), you are welcome.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Former player
Yo.. I didn't read everything, but methinks I read enough to input some not-so-bullshit bullshit. :o I think 14% should get its own catagorey. >_> Has different goals than the 6%. Stop making it complicated. The only reason this run should be rejected is because of all the known improvements.
Trained by Cpadolf. Mission: To Perfect. Hero says: Yeah bro, I almost went super saiyan once My SM-RBO Current Project(s): 1)I don't TAS anymore! Pay me!
Skilled player (1402)
Saturn wrote:
It could beat the game via a hacked sram trick with even 0% by triggering the Zebes escape sequence right at the beginning, and it still wouldn't count as a low%.
Hacked sram isn't allowed at this site.
Saturn wrote:
The classic low% beats the game just like any other any% / 100% does: without skipping bosses etc., and thus it's accepted as the official low% in the SM community. Ask anybody else there if you need a confirmation.
Oh, I believe you, but this is not the SM community. Here we are interested in what's the shortest input sequence to achieve a certain goal.
Saturn wrote:
If it would get rejected for a good reason not against the majority of the audience
In case you haven't noticed with some other TASes, it's not about the majority. It's about what arguments are used, and a good argument of a single person can be enough to reject a movie. I think you are slightly underestimating the amount of people not in favor of a fifth super metroid category (or at least, this being the fifth).
NameSpoofer wrote:
Has different goals than the 6%. Stop making it complicated.
You could also say that the 1 star SM64 movie was just had different goals than the 16 star movie, and the 0 star movie also. Another way of looking at it is that they were just clear improvements.
Former player
I change my mind. I don't want to be involved in this nonsense. It is being taken wayyy too seriously for my tastes.
Trained by Cpadolf. Mission: To Perfect. Hero says: Yeah bro, I almost went super saiyan once My SM-RBO Current Project(s): 1)I don't TAS anymore! Pay me!
Skilled player (1431)
Baxter wrote:
The classic low% beats the game just like any other any% / 100% does: without skipping bosses etc., and thus it's accepted as the official low% in the SM community. Ask anybody else there if you need a confirmation. Oh, I believe you
I actually think there are plenty of people in the SM community that thinks 6% is the true low. I can't really imagine many people at all besides the people who are strictly against OoB stuff who would disagree. Anyway, on the topic of the run being rejected because Saturn made it. Remember that the category got obsoleted before anyone even knew you where working on this run, and it wasn't because the old one was so improvable, it was because the 14% category got redundant after the 6% run was made. If this site ever gets a more lenient policy on multiple categories, then the 14% run would be a good addition in my opinion (as well as a RBO), but right now it would just be unfair to pretty much every other game on the site to have this category published.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
This TAS sure is amazing! The problem is that we have 4 amazing TASes on this game already. Oh well! Try improving one of the existing ones.
Voted NO for NO reason
Experienced player (822)
Saturn wrote:
mmbossman wrote:
The fact that you later decide to call this omissions "entertainment/speed tradeoffs" shows me that you could not make up your mind as to which goals you really wanted to follow, so you figured that a combination of both would suffice.
My 2 main goals were to get the lowest possible completion time on the game clock, while still beating the game without ever entering the pause screen except when unavoidable to increase entertainment and shorten the realtime count. Both of which I have succeeded.
If these were indeed your 2 primary goals then my "nebulous" labeling was an understatement, at best. I also noticed that nowhere in that description does it mention "low %", or "no OOB glitch". In which case I count 4 primary goals.
Player (209)
mmbossman wrote:
The whole of my reasons are highlighted in red above, if you would like to provide arguments against them (as a whole), you are welcome.
Ok here you go:
1) Poor and semi-arbitrary goal choice
As solid goal choice as it can be. Beating the game with lowest amount of items in legal conditions (without OOR glitching to skip bosses and most of the game). You are probably one of the ~5% of people here who can't recognize this as a solid goal. The majority sure does and stated it in this thread several times.
2) inability to reach those goals (due to the aforementioned entertainment/speed tradeoffs)
As stated before, fully reached both goals I had: "To get the lowest possible completion time on the game clock, while still beating it without ever entering the pause screen except when unavoidable to increase entertainment and shorten the realtime count".
4) an inability for this run to provide reasonably different material from those movie already published.
Says one who isn't involved in SM as much as most people who would watch this run. It in fact shows reasonably different material in "almost every single room" in the whole 2nd half of the run due to the lack of Speed Booster, which forces you to use "completely" different strategies that you won't see in any other run to pass them.
3) an abundance of Super Metroid material already published
This is the only valid point we have against this category, as Baxter and Cpadolf stated as well. The question is whether it's strong enough to kill the other 3.
LagDotCom wrote:
The problem is that we have 4 amazing TASes on this game already. Oh well! Try improving one of the existing ones.
Waste of time if the run already uses a optimal route and all the optimal techs. I'm much more for pulling completely new runs with tricks never done before. Has much more sense.
mmbossman wrote:
I also noticed that nowhere in that description does it mention "low %", or "no OOB glitch". In which case I count 4 primary goals.
And what is written in the very first line of my submission then, extra bolded and big?
submission wrote:
Super Metroid 14% (aka. glitchless/legit Low%) TAS v1.1 by Saturn
And as said, the fact that I didn't mention "no OOR-glitching", is because I assumed it to be a obvious thing to 99,9% of people once they read this:
submission wrote:
"14% mode (beats the game with the least amount of items possible in legal conditions)"
Seems like I was wrong, so next time I will probably point every little and obvious detail about it, no matter how ridiculous it would look. Would that be better?
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Experienced player (822)
Saturn wrote:
mmbossman wrote:
The whole of my reasons are highlighted in red above, if you would like to provide arguments against them (as a whole), you are welcome.
Ok here you go:
1) Poor and semi-arbitrary goal choice
As solid goal choice as it can be. Beating the game with lowest amount of items in legal conditions (without OOR glitching to skip bosses and most of the game). You are probably one of the ~5% of people here who can't recognize this as a solid goal. The majority sure does and stated it in this thread several times.
2) inability to reach those goals (due to the aforementioned entertainment/speed tradeoffs)
As stated before, fully reached both goals I had: "To get the lowest possible completion time on the game clock, while still beating it without ever entering the pause screen except when unavoidable to increase entertainment and shorten the realtime count".
You seem to have a difficult time counting: Goal 1): Low % Goal 2): No out of bounds glitch Goal 3): Lowest game clock Goal 4): No entering the pause screen except when unavoidable (whatever that means) Goal 5): Lowest real time count Wow, even I had problems counting earlier. I thought you only had 4 primary goals, when you clearly have 5.
For clarification: the game timer doesn't advance when paused, which means that if you've fixated on improving the in-game clock you may do things like pause at the top of a vertical shaft room to remove the high-jump boots. The "no pausing except when necessary" condition basically says that pauses made solely for purposes of improving the game clock (as opposed to ones to enable glitches, like the Gravity Jump, or special abilities, like the special charge beam abilities that are only available when only two beam weapons are equipped) are not in the game. To me this just highlights how silly it is for TASers to worry about the in-game clock in Super Metroid. The only reason people do so is because of the speedrunning community that existed before TASVideos came in existence which only had the in-game clock available. But for TASes, framecount is way more important. In any event, the discussion between mmbossman and Saturn does highlight how confusing these conditions are for anyone who's not actually involved in Super Metroid speedrunning/TASing. It's like its own little sub-community, and I'm not certain it's big enough to warrant yet another officially-published TAS.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Player (209)
Unbelievable. Seriously mmbossman, you show absolutely no clue when it comes to Super Metroid runs: How can somebody judge a game when he isn't even aware of the most elementary things about it? Here again: The run mode (this is not a goal, it's a run choice): - A 14%, or glichless/legit low%. (14% runs exist since 2003 or even earlier btw, so this name says everything to a at least a bit in SM speedrunning involved person aka. the majority of people who would watch this run) My goals to accomplish this particular run choice (14%): 1. Fastest realtime, accomplished by avoiding the pause screen (except when entering it would still be faster for realtime - gravity jump VS slow IBJ). Door entrances are the exception here, since optimizig them for realtime would look sloppy and barely save time anyway (aka. a slight realtime speed tradeoff for entertainment and ingame time in rare cases, which is obvious again). 2. Despite goal 1, I aimed for lowest game clock completion to set a TAS record for this category, and managed to get it without any sacrifices in it. And the other, obvious goals 99% of people who will watch the run will know after seeing the "14%" label: 3. No Boss skipping 4. because of goal 3 obvious again: No OOR glitching So yeah, it satisfies multiple goals if you want to see it like that. Where is the problem with that? To remind you, the other 2 runs (100% and realtime oriented any% by hero) published on this site have the exactly same goals to accomplish their run mode choice. But for some reason you didn't bring up that bullshit there and made the author think that he is writing to a 3 year old in the end. Strange, isn't it?
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Post subject: Re: #2136: Saturn's SNES Super Metroid in 42:37.13
Skilled player (1636)
NesVideoAgent wrote:
Seeing that the 14% category got kind of obsoleted by the 6% NBMB one (although they can't really be compared to each other), I don't expect this to be published
You saw this coming, yet you are still fighting. Strange. Also, kind of? It DID get obsoleted by the 6%
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Saturn wrote:
14% runs exist since 2003 or even earlier
Saturn wrote:
I'm much more for pulling completely new runs with tricks never done before.
Former player
Without reading any of the resulting posts from the submission rejection, why not just link to this submission in the 6% description along with something of the lines of "if you are interested in seeing the game beaten at the lowest % without using the x-ray glitch, you may wish to have a look at this video"?
Former player
FWIW, I think the whole "vague, multiple goals" argument is completely bogus and I've nearly always thought this since I joined this site, whenever it's come up. I mostly agree with Saturn tbh. Well actually, what I think is I think it boils down to whether or not you like/want multiple categories of a single game. That's the deal breaker for me, the other arguments are kinda bleh, on both sides. Personally, I think multiple categories are great and should be encouraged, so I'm in favor of publishing this. For those who don't think multiple categories are great, I think it's completely reasonable to want to reject it. Edit: And because it's Saturn's run and I love me a good meltdown, I don't mind this being rejected anyway.
Zoey Ridin' High <Fabian_> I prett much never drunk
You keep saying this word 'legal', Saturn. There's nothing 'illegal' about using the x-ray climb. There is in some Super Metroid speedrunning community that isn't TASvideos. If they love this video, whoopee. Show it to them, it doesn't belong here. You already have your own page with TASes on, right? Put it there. Publicise it. Do whatever you like, just don't whine when people with different goals decide not to endorse it.
Voted NO for NO reason
There's honestly been so much running around in circles and pointless stuff added to this thread. The members here are from what i've gathered thus far, intelligent, literate people. When Saturn makes mention of a "legal/legit" run, it's blatantly obvious to someone like me who isn't a hardcore follower of metroid to know what he's talking about. Playing "Legally" through the game, i.e taking out the intended bosses and mini bosses, as opposed to skipping the majority of the game going OoB isn't a hard concept to grasp. But it is being brought up repeatedly, mostly to have a go at him as it seems. I strongly doubt he's calling other runs "Illegal" Its just being used as a convenient term. Im my personal opinion, the run is different enough to warrant it's own category once again, the 6% glitchfest is miles different from conventional boss to boss approach. It'd be unlikely a random passer by who has never played/encountered metroid would stumble across the video and watch it, so it's pretty fair to assume the target audience are either interested in TAS's or the game itself. I would have thought they'd find more interest in watching the games bosses being demolished as fast as possible in the way they remembered playing the game instead of watching minutes of the X-ray Scope. At the same time, I think its unfair to claim Mmbossman rejected the submission out of any bias or feelings towards Saturn. The reasons he listed, whilst I may not agree with them all are totally understandable and well explained. If he was as impulsive and rash as to use his power in that way, he most likely wouldn't have became a judge in the first place. Sorry to spew random thoughts without any structure, just wanted to contribute after watching so long. I really do think it'd be a shame to let this TAS die though, it was the best Super Metroid run i've seen in a bloody long time and as much as people might not think the world of Saturn (Me included) He has talent. So far, i'd have to say I also agree with what Fabian put forward.
Experienced player (822)
Larkin wrote:
Playing "Legally" through the game, i.e taking out the intended bosses and mini bosses
Not to belabor the point, but many of the mini-bosses have been absent from this, and most other SM runs (Chozo Statue, Spore Spawn, etc.) I understand the concept of having to beat the 4 main bosses to access Mother Brain, but skipping all the mini-bosses doesn't seem very legal to me. Both the out of bounds glitch and skipping the chozo statue abuse oversights by the programmers, and are used to skip portions of the game. Calling one set of circumstances legal and one set not is very arbitrary to me. To Fabian, evilchen, etc: I based my decision by adhering to the guidelines I was given when I became a judge. I have no problem with someone starting a different site dedicated to SM TASes. But I did not feel that this TAS was appropriate to severely bend the guideline I quoted, and add a 5th (!) category to the Super Metroid family.
Skipping the mini bosses has precedent: Crocomire and Golden Torizo are entirely skippable without any kind of glitches or even oversights (unless easy walljumps and powerbombs count as oversights), and are both often skipped in ordinary speed runs. Even though it requires glitches to skip the Bomb Torizo and Spore Spawn, it's not all that remarkable. Not interested in joining the argument, but felt that deserved to be mentioned.
kwinse wrote:
Kejardon wrote:
Kriole wrote:
Samus is damaged by a Rinka in the opening.
That's a script action; no damage. ... it just dawned on me I know way too much about SM.
It took THAT to make you realize?
well i guess those any% runs count as one(for me they do) and they are also referred in each other, so at least it could be a concept demo showing a outdated categoery or something like that and that are just my opinions and thoughts i never want to criticise your decision as a judge!
Banned User, Former player
Fabian wrote:
Personally, I think multiple categories are great and should be encouraged, so I'm in favor of publishing this.
This is pretty much my opinion on publishing in general. I have never, ever, ever understood the whole stigma of THIS GAME HAS Y CATEGORIES WHEN IT SHOULD ONLY HAVE X REJECTED. I mean, shit, it isn't like the fucking world's going to end if a game has (heaven forbid) more than one category. Then again, my publishing guidelines would mostly fall to "Was it well-played? Yes/no" instead of some stupid combination of "Is this game popular? Is this game played well? Does this game have less than 2 categories? Has the author submitted any money to the site?" etc. That would allow for less well-known games instead of rejecting every game only 7 people know (heaven forbid we have a niche audience, oooh nooo). As much as I seem to clash with Fabian, at least I can agree that the idea of restricting categories based on some arbitrary bullshit is a pretty fucking stupid idea.
Perma-banned
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Xkeeper wrote:
I have never, ever, ever understood the whole stigma of THIS GAME HAS Y CATEGORIES WHEN IT SHOULD ONLY HAVE X REJECTED.
It is not about the number of categories per se. The question is about meaningful movie content. The case here was that the movie was considered not meaningful enough addition to the other movies.
Xkeeper wrote:
Then again, my publishing guidelines would mostly fall to "Was it well-played? Yes/no"
How is this idea consistent with your idea of accepting more categories? First you would need to define "well-played". If it means "perfect time", then only one category would be accepted. On the other hand, even if you broaden the meaning of "well-played", it would still be possible for somebody to submit a movie with a category choice Y. The category Y itself would include something, which was considered not "well-played". The category Y would then be rejected. Thus, you would still be limited with X categories.
Larkin wrote:
Im my personal opinion, the run is different enough to warrant it's own category once again, the 6% glitchfest is miles different from conventional boss to boss approach.
I don't quite understand why you selectively compare it to the 6% run only. The 14% run is not miles different from the three other movies, which all avoid using the same glitch.
Larkin wrote:
I would have thought they'd find more interest in watching the games bosses being demolished as fast as possible in the way they remembered playing the game instead of watching minutes of the X-ray Scope.
That's exactly what the three other movies already do. Also, "I would have thought they'd find more interest in watching the items being collected in the way they remembered playing the game instead of watching the items being avoided."
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
If it makes you feel any better Saturn, I would also have rejected this movie if I had judged it.
Player (209)
Aqfaq wrote:
Saturn wrote:
14% runs exist since 2003 or even earlier
Saturn wrote:
I'm much more for pulling completely new runs with tricks never done before.
But maybe the old 14% runs used different routes and older techs that got massively obsoleted by the new, never seen before ones in this run? Maybe that was enough of a reason to call this a "completely new run" even though the run mode was the same? Probably too hard to realize.
Larkin wrote:
When Saturn makes mention of a "legal/legit" run, it's blatantly obvious to someone like me who isn't a hardcore follower of metroid to know what he's talking about.
Thank you very much, man. I already started to assume that some people here indeed lack some sort of common sense. Glad to see that it's not necessarliy the case.
Larkin wrote:
I strongly doubt he's calling other runs "Illegal" Its just being used as a convenient term.
Absolutely correct. Just a short term to make the watcher clear what he can expect of the run.
Aqfaq wrote:
The question is about meaningful movie content. The case here was that the movie was considered not meaningful enough addition to the other movies.
By who, by one person who didn't even notice (as it seems) what's going on in the run due to not knowing the game very well by itself?
Aqfaq wrote:
The 14% run is not miles different from the three other movies, which all avoid using the same glitch.
Saturn 2 days ago wrote:
It in fact shows reasonably different material in "almost every single room" in the whole 2nd half of the run due to the lack of Speed Booster, which forces you to use "completely" different strategies that you won't see in any other run to pass them.
One must truly be blind to not see the huge difference this run has compared to the other 3 who also fight every boss. The "small only" SMW run has far less difference to the "96 exit" run by Fabian, and a much less solid goal than this run, (I think the run is great btw, and makes a good addition - this is only brought up for those who don't get the point with the 14% category), yet it got published in the main section. It wasn't necessarily more entertaining than the 96-exit run, but it showed new techs you won't see in any other Mario run due to the limited conditions, which is exactly the same case here as well. What makes that run different from this 14%, other than the likely lower overall tech quality and the fact that SMW has one category less than SM then? Nothing as you see.
Truncated wrote:
If it makes you feel any better Saturn, I would also have rejected this movie if I had judged it.
For no valid reason, against the audience, and the purpose of this site to show unique and entertaining quality runs as well?
1 2
6 7 8
12 13