The Legend of Zelda: Outlands is probably the best, and most famous Legend of Zelda 1 hack. I can recommend it to anyone who liked the original version. It even features two quests... one even harder than the other. This movie completes both quests.
The patch can be downloaded here. You will need to patch "Legend of Zelda, The (U) (PRG0).nes".
A few people who watched it mentioned they would like to see a run which doesn't use any glitches. One of the reasons for this is that the run may be a little difficult to keep up with what's skipped, and what's happening without knowing the game. Of course, I would suggest to everyone to play the game themselves, as it is also a lot of fun... but that takes quite some time. I myself don't think a full run is a very good idea, since without glitches, the route will be very linear, and there are spots where you need to beat the same boss three times in a row and such. The main good thing about a glitchless run is that if shows of the entire game, which might give more appreciation and understanding for this movie. A walkthrough can do the job just as well, so I made both a walkthrough of the first, and second quest. Walkthrough first quest Walkthrough second quest Do note that it are merely walkthroughs, which don't aim for speed and don't use any glitches. Useless items, and also maps and compasses are collected. It should however give a good image of what a full run would look like, and give a better understanding about this run.
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses a game restart sequence
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
  • No predefined saves
  • Completes both quests
  • Genre: Action
  • Genre: Adventure

Glitch

I discovered a glitch which allowed Link to go half a tile inside a solid block from the bottom and the top, while working on the regular Zelda run. Since then, the glitch has been expanded, and it's now possible too to do it sideways, which allows fast left/right movement too. A short history on how is was discovered step by step can be found here. I could write a long paragraph on how it is exactly performed, but I suggest just looking at the input, and you know it right away, since it's not hard to perform or understand. The glitching is a lot more useful in this game than in the regular game. So far, no items can be skipped at either the first or the second quest of the regular game. At this hack, it's possible to skip several items, and there are more spots, both in the overworld and underworld, where the glitch is very useful. I'd like to thank Sleepz, Hanzou and Catastrophe for the time they spent on the glitch.

First Quest

Entering my name took 25 frames longer than having "A" as a name. A small prize to pay for the message that appears at the end of the TAS ;). The game starts off all the way at the left of the overworld. Glitching to the left takes Link to the right of the overworld. The spot I get to can't normally be reached without a raft. I'm ending up in a big dark part at the right of the room. It is made out of entrances, which warp me to the middle of this room (these entrances can't be reached without glitching). Link goes down one screen, uses the glitch a few times to get through the rockformations, and the glitches again to the left, leading to being at the left of the overworld. I needed to go one room down, since the wall at the left side is one block thick here, which is needed if you want to walk through the wall. I go up again, and now you see I'm at the other side of the river (from where Link started). This place can't normally be reached without having the power bracelet and ladder. This is where 150 rupees are found, which are needed later in the run. Getting money in this game is generally pretty hard, since there is no gambling, and only one spot where you get 150 rupees at once. The maximum you can get at other places is 50 rupees. After getting the 150 rupees, I reset with up+A.
Onto level 1. The glitching was useful several times here. Notice how Link has to walk into the screen a little to do the glitch. The wooden sword it located in level 1, and it obviously can't be skipped, so I collect it here. I stay a little longer at level 1 to collect an extra key. Then a reset to exit the level.
The next thing that is needed it are the silver arrows. They are needed to kill 'Ganon' after all and can be found in level 5. Somewhere along the way bombs are collected. I glitch past the bridge. Normally a ladder would be required here. No power bracelet is needed to push the gravestone for entering level 5, luckily :). Inside the level, the glitch is used a few times to avoid killing all enemies in the room. After a while, I reach a room with 8 enemies, which look slightly different here, but are the same as bunnies in the first quest. All need to be hit 10 times, so 80 hits need to be dealt in this room! All of that for just another key. The dark rooms in this game are truly dark. You don't even see the walls at the side, so it's a little hard to see where exactly you are. The scrolling also looks weird, since the screen is just black, and you don't see it moving. After these dark rooms, there is a room with darknuts and bunnies. The main aim is to kill the bunnies as fast as possible, since they take the longest. I had some problems with making it in time to collect that bomb (which disappears after a while). In the end, I was just in time for it by a close margin. To kill the boss in the next room, the flute is normally needed, but luckily the solid blocks are arranged in a way that it can be bypassed. The corridor in the next room just appears after a while (which I can't remember happening in the regular game). The glitch is used to get right where the staircase appears. Finally, the silver arrows :) When I exit the level, you get to see what a triforce looks like in this game (it's a fairy). For this dungeon, it was located right next to the start.
Right after the dungeon, I glitch myself to an area which can only be reached with the raft normally. The bow is bought here (luckily Link has just enough money). Now with the silver arrows and bow, and sword, Link is ready to face Ganon.
After resetting, I do the same thing again as at the start of the run, and the spot where I get to happens to be right next to level 9. ' At level 9, if you walk up, you will get to the seal, where all triforces (or fairies) are needed. To the right is a dead end. To the left normally too, but the blocks are diagonal, so Link can glitch through them. This successfully gets Link in a place that can only be reached with all triforce parts, and thus they are skipped. The thing I pick up next is the key which can be used many times... although I just pick it up because it's in the way, I don't open any locked doors with it. Next up is a room with 8 enemies that eat your shield. It was pretty hard to manipulate all 8 of them to move in the way I wanted. Then there is a long way with bombing, taking damage and glitching. There even is a room with 8 blue wizzrobes, thankfully I didn't need to kill them. I don't know if it's possible to reach the staircase I use to get to Ganon without glitching or not... either way, I used it. Right before Ganon there is a wizzrobe room. Ganon is pretty straightforward. First quest isn't completed after Ganon... two more rooms untill the end. One of them shows some nice use of the silver arrows. Then the first quest is completed.

Second Quest

For those who didn't like getting to places that you aren't supposed to... the second quest has a lot less of this. The levels in the second quest aren't numbered from 1 to 9, instead, they spell out OUTLANDSC (so U is the second dungeon, and C the ninth). C stands for "challenge". First off Link goes to level U to get some meat. The meat is obtained without any weapons, which wouldn't normally be possible. You would at least need either boomerang, bombs or candle. I think the intention of the creator was to visit level O first where you can get the boomerang. I also use the glitch to get a key. After getting the meat, there is a up+A reset with a save to start over again.
Now that we have meat, Link goes to level O. After getting some keys, the boomerang is obtained. There is even a room where you have to kill all 'bats' with the boomerang, which is pretty neat. It was actually pretty hard to get the room like that. Then meat is used, and Link can obtain the ladder. Enough of this level... back to level U!
With the ladder, Link can reach new places in level U, like the place where Zelda had hidden the flute. The glitch is used to get here faster. After getting the flute, RESET.
Note that since I saved, I switching weapons before the save wouldn't have made a difference. This is only possible the you 'continue' not when you 'save'. Glitching is used again to get somewhere at the right in the overworld, and even though the glitching passes areas that could normally not be reached... the part where I get in the end can be reached without glitching. Here the flute is used to get money. Note that it takes long for the creature to spawn (the one that gives me money), this cannot be avoided. After getting the money, I reset.
Now I walk to level T to finally get my sword. There are also bombs ready to pick up :). It is important to note that everything I did till now was in the right order of what the creator intended, so indeed the sword is in the third level. Flute was needed to get enter this level. After getting the sword, I exit the level to buy the bow again.
Since the silver arrows are in the last level this time, we are ready to head there. Level C is located near the spot where you get when you do the glitch at the start again, so that's convenient. This time the flute is needed to enter it. The seal is bypassed again, by doing the glitch in the second room. Link makes, and glitches, his way to the room where the infinite key is located (this would normally take quite a bit longer without the glitch). After it is obtained, Link moves on to a wizzrobe room. It was pretty hard, since I could only use two bombs. In the end, the entire second quest will be completed with only 4 bombs. After the wizzrobe room, Zelda wants to kill me, and after that, Link can pick up the silver arrow. Then RESET. Fully equiped, Link heads for Ganon, and kills him... game complete? Far from it. The hardest part is yet to come. Before reaching the end of the game, one of the hardest bosses of the game needs to be beats no less than three times! The last one was particularly hard, since there were bullets coming from the corners of the room too, which could cause lag. Most of it was avoided. It was also hard to know where you were, since everything was black in that room (there were quite some blocks blocking your way). In the end, Link saves the day once again.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes!

Truncated: The hack is not accepted at this site. In my opinion it shouldn't be either since it is not well made. About a third of the votes for this submission was no, which comparatively is a large amount, and I agree that it's not very entertaining. For these reasons I am rejecting this submission.

mmbossman: This submission has been given another chance at publication. If you feel it should be published, instead of returning to the grue, please post WHY in the thread. Similarly, if you do NOT think this movie should be published, post WHY.

mmbossman: The prime issue I see with this submission is the feeling that because it's a hack, all the glitching is really just a product of the hack, and not the original game engine. This is not the case, as several of the same glitches can be seen in the 2nd quest movie. This is probably why Truncated described this hack as "sloppy" originally; There was not a published demonstration of these glitches to confirm that they were possible in the original game. Just like any other glitched movie here, the glitching only becomes more impressive after the viewer has played the game, and although I have never played this hack, I still found the movie mildly amusing. After looking through Baxter's detailed explanation of the hack, and considering the positive tone of the people responding after this was revived, I believe that it should become part of our collection. I would also recommend that the description for the movie contain a link to the post linked above, to further inform the viewer about how much is really going on.

ShinyDoofy: Processed, about to publish.

upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
Vatchern wrote:
Baxter wrote:
moozooh wrote:
In other words, if the game is unfamiliar to you, you usually ignore it. If the game is a hack, you're openly negative about it.
Have to agree with moozooh here. I've never heard you say: "Another Gens submission, *sigh*.".
I never say such a thing about a gens submission naturally because gens runs are always accepted here as normal TAS's. HACKS were usually not accepted here, and most arent. lets keep it this way.
The point is that it's rather arbitrary to dislike all hacks. It makes no more sense than disliking any game made after 1994. Or any game made for Sega Genesis.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Player (84)
upthorn wrote:
The point is that it's rather arbitrary to dislike all hacks. It makes no more sense than disliking any game made after 1994. Or any game made for Sega Genesis.
This does make sense, hence why HACKS were banned from this site from the start.
upthorn
He/Him
Vatchern wrote:
upthorn wrote:
This does make sense, hence why HACKS were banned from this site from the start.
Funny how you don't provide any supporting statements that it makes any sense. Like explaining how maybe.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Player (84)
upthorn wrote:
Vatchern wrote:
upthorn wrote:
Funny how you don't provide any supporting statements that it makes any sense. Like explaining how maybe.
I dont understand why it needs to be explained. I just dislike all HACKS. I only like games that I can go to the store and be able to BUY. It's my opinion. HACKS are stupid pathetic attempts and people trying to be creative. There is only one HACK I dont think is completely stupid and that is a HACK for Rockman1, based on using glitching skills in order to beat the game and knowledge. I still wouldn't want a TAS for it, as it would be un-entertaining. (no offence to the creator). Also, It does also make sense for me not to like any Gens system game, because I hated the gens controllers, and I dislike the graphics(no offence to any gens fan or author of tas). I am a Nintendo fan. But, since Gens is real, im not going to write rants on submissions of them. but HACKS are not real.
upthorn
He/Him
Vatchern wrote:
I only like games that I can go to the store and be able to BUY.
So I guess you don't like any NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy color, SMS, atari2600, sega master system, sega genesis, turbografx 16, Sega Saturn, or Nintendo 64. You can't walk into any store and buy those games any more. I also guess you don't like any flash games, or any games like cave story or within a deep forest which were released for free online, and nobody's ever charged any money for. I'd also like to point out, by replacing key nouns in your sentence, why your "hacks aren't real" arguement is poor:
Vatchern wrote:
I am a TSA fan. But, since Mikewuyama is real, im not going to write rants on his submissions. but TASes are not real.
Player (84)
Ok, So you are saying that NO store has older carts for sale? I guess it sucks where you are, because there are stores here that are dedicated for that. I am walk in and buy NES, SNES, N64 and all that. Also, I can still buy carts off Ebay, ever heard of that? its a site where you can bid on items, such as, collectable games, such as NES/SNES/N64 carts. Its a real nice website/online STORE. you should check it out. Also, no, i dont play java/flash games that often, nor have i for years. I never heard of cave story or within a deep forest either. sorry. Replaceing nouns is not a good way to to state a case.
upthorn
He/Him
Vatchern wrote:
Replaceing nouns is not a good way to to state a case.
I was trying to show you that your logic is the same as the logic that was/is used by SDA people in order to insult and decry TASing. The reasoning in question being: "That's made in a different way, so it doesn't count! It's not real! I hate it!"
Player (84)
If that is their opinion so be it. I can understand why speedrunners dislike TAS's because I am a speedrunner myself. I can see why they call them "fake" and " not real". I can compare my hatred for Hacks, in a sunglasses manner. People who buy Oakleys. They like them, they are real. And I can garentee they dislike the "fake" oakleys you can buy for $15.
Player (87)
Vatchern wrote:
I can compare my hatred for Hacks, in a sunglasses manner. People who buy Oakleys. They like them, they are real. And I can garentee they dislike the "fake" oakleys you can buy for $15.
People who spending their time caring about such things are foolish and trivial.
print reduce(lambda x,p:p/2*x/p+2*10**1000,range(6643,1,-2))
Active player (410)
Xkeeper wrote:
There are a few people who really hate hacks, generally with silly reasons or plain wrong reasons
There is no silly or wrong reasons. An opinion is an opinion. I'm getting tired of this site because of some people like that. Their philosophy is "He doesn't agree with me then he is stubborn, egotistical, etc..."
Former player
Xkeeper wrote:
There are a few people who really hate hacks, generally with silly reasons or plain wrong reasons
There are a few people who really hate good runs, generally with silly reasons or plain wrong reasons
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Senior Moderator
There are a few people who really make useless comments, generally with silly reasons or plain wrong reasons
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Former player
Hey, if Xkeeper is so adamant about his opinion being expressed on the SM64 run, then why not let Vatchern express his? Seems hypocritical to me.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Banned User, Former player
laughing_gas wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
There are a few people who really hate good runs, generally with silly reasons or plain wrong reasons
I mean reasons that are not even remotely valid, like "I just don't like it, without having watched it, read about it, or generally experienced it in any way." Do not try and insert your own meaning into my posts. I am getting very tired of this. Someone, for example, disliked the Super Demo World because of the title (it contained "demo"), and had to be informed repeatedly that it was a demonstration of a hack's capabilities and not an demonstration of an unfinished game. These are the reasons I mean. You are trying to twist my statements, making it look like I try and claim other things. To take your meaning: "I dislike this movie because it's Mario. I don't care about the run at all and haven't watched it, but I will vote no regardless because I think Mario sucks." This is a dumb reason. And for the goddamn final time, the site asks one simple question: DID YOU LIKE WATCHING THIS MOVIE? (VOTE AFTER WATCHING!) I put it in giant, bold, underlined, red text to drive the point home, because all of you seem to be missing it. An opinion based on the movie itself, and wether it was entertaining or not, is what matters. An opinion based on what you think of the the game is not. (Do not confuse this with "bad game providing no entertainment is not a good opinion" or any other mangling of this. It means that your opinion of a game should not be your sole deciding factor in your vote.) You people are beginning to hate anybody who has a valid, differing opinion, because it goes against the "majority". This is getting out of hand and it needs to be stopped before everyone who thinks differently from the hive mind is scared out of voting for fear of being exiled from the community. On that note, the migration from caring about entertaining, fun-to-watch videos to "lowest frame count" is making me sick. Movies that were fun to watch because of slower, still-inhuman-but-incredible movies are replaced with ones that do less interesting things to save time.
Perma-banned
Xkeeper wrote:
On that note, the migration from caring about entertaining, fun-to-watch videos to "lowest frame count" is making me sick. Movies that were fun to watch because of slower, still-inhuman-but-incredible movies are replaced with ones that do less interesting things to save time.
Yes. Agreed wholeheartedly. If you can minimize frames without making your video kind of boring (like this; a good example of a good kind of it is the Super Metroid TAS') then it's cool. Stuff like this, while I think is decent enough to publish, is not optimal in terms of sheer entertainment.
Former player
Xkeeper wrote:
DID YOU LIKE WATCHING THIS MOVIE? (VOTE AFTER WATCHING!)
i voted yes for, "should i go to sleep now?" e: to clarify, I haven't watched it.
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
Former player
AND WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH PEOPLE MISSPELLING LOSE AND LOOSE AM I RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Zoey Ridin' High <Fabian_> I prett much never drunk
Banned User, Former player
Fabian wrote:
AND WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH PEOPLE MISSPELLING LOSE AND LOOSE AM I RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cough Yes, I know I've violated this myself a few times, but I try and stay civil and actually contribute something, and I've been working on it. This is just getting old.
Perma-banned
Former player
Xkeeper wrote:
Fabian wrote:
cough Yes, I know I've violated this myself a few times, but I try and stay civil and actually contribute something, and I've been working on it. This is just getting old.
cough cough Anyway happy to hear you'we working on it. gl
Zoey Ridin' High <Fabian_> I prett much never drunk
Post subject: Returned to "new" status
Experienced player (822)
As you can see, this movie has been returned from the grue for another shot at publication. Please post what you think about the movie, and why it should be published, or why it should remain rejected. Poll votes will not be considered, only responses in the thread. This submission will remain on the workbench for one month to gather further opinions, then a second judging decision will be made.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Skilled player (1402)
Some of the old comments seemed to indicate it's hard to keep up with what's going on in the TAS without some kind of general overview of the game. Hopefully, this post will solve that issue. Dacicus made very great and detailed maps for both the first quest: [URL=http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7416/q1overworld.png][/URL] and the second quest: [URL=http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7007/q2overworld.png][/URL] Dacicus also made some very detailed maps of all the levels that are visited in the TAS: Q1 Level1 Q1 Level 5 Q1 Level 9 Q2 Level 1 or O Q2 Level 2 or U Q2 Level 3 or T Q2 Level 9 or C (This is how the maps fit together: Levels 1-6, Levels 7-9, Levels D-A-U-N-S-T, Levels O-L-C.) I made a complete walkthrough of the first quest and a walkthrough of the second quest. In these walkthroughs, nearly all items, heart containers, maps and compasses are collected. In the actual TAS however, a lot of items are skipped by using the glitch (which is also used in the current Zelda "Second Quest" TAS). The route might seem complicated, but it's actually very simple. I painted the TAS route in Dacicus' overworld maps: First Quest * Get 150 rupees (to buy the bow later on) * Go to Level 1 to collect the sword, then go to Level 5 to collect the silver arrow, then go to the shop to buy the bow (sword, silver arrow and bow are the three things needed to beat Ganon * Go to level 9 (collecting the triforce pieces in each level is not needed because the barrier in level 9 can be bypassed using the glitch) Second Quest * Go to level U to collect meat (meat is needed to get the ladder in level O) * Go to level O to get boomerang and ladder (boomerang is needed to get to the ladder, the ladder is needed to get the recorder) * Go to level U to get the recorder (the recorder is needed to get 150 rupees for the bow, and to gain access to level T) * Get 150 rupees (to buy the bow later on) * Go to Level T to collect the sword, then go to the shop to buy the bow (these are both needed to defeat Ganon) * Go to Level C (once again, collecting the triforce pieces in each level is not needed because the barrier in level C can be bypassed using the glitch... the final element for defeating Ganon, the silver arrows are found in Level C) General notes: * The starting position is near the bottom left. At every new image, Link starts from this position. * The blue line shows Link's normal walking route. * The pink dashed line starts where Link exits a side of the screen using the glitch, and points with an arrow to where Link enters the screen again. * Screen's are numbered like this:
01 02 03 ... 14 15 16
17 18 19 ... 30 31 32
If you glitch to the left at a room at the far left side of the world map, for instance room 17, you will end up in room 16. If you glitch to the right at room 16, you will end up at room 17... So note that Link moves moves one room up or down when glitching to the other side of the map. * The black areas at the bottom right of the map are tiles that will place Link somewhere near the center of the room again when being stepped on. This is indicated by a dotted line also. * The levels in the second quest spell OUTLANDSC, so Level O is Level 1, Level U is Level 2... Level C is level 9.
Banned User
I like hacks, there should be more hacks on the site. I hate Zelda, there should be less Zelda on the site. A good run, but meh.
Gone.
Former player
As per Baxter's request, here's an encode.
ShinyDoofy wrote:
thanks, i saw the two "walkthrough" (and their lag) then saw the run. the hack is really good and the Tas looks optimised but for me the warp glitch doesn't serve justice to the run / hack. sure totaly break a game is always cool but in this case you skip like 90% of the game, where is the interest of using a hack since you almost see nothing of its content ? i'm voting meh because the run was good but the use of a hack (in this case) isn't justified. if you do a glitchless run i'll be really happy to see it ( especialy the second quest )
Skilled player (1402)
Nicos wrote:
ShinyDoofy wrote:
thanks, i saw the two "walkthrough" (and their lag) then saw the run. the hack is really good and the Tas looks optimised but for me the warp glitch doesn't serve justice to the run / hack. sure totaly break a game is always cool but in this case you skip like 90% of the game, where is the interest of using a hack since you almost see nothing of its content ? i'm voting meh because the run was good but the use of a hack (in this case) isn't justified. if you do a glitchless run i'll be really happy to see it ( especialy the second quest )
This 18 minute TAS already was a lot of work... a version without the glitch of both quests would easily be over an hour, and an incredible amount of work... in the end, it would be uncertain if it would get published. This alone makes it very unprobable that there will ever be such a run. There are also spots in such a run that would be really boring. I remember a spot in the walkthrough where I have to kill the dragon with the multiple heads flying around at least three times in a row... I think such a run would have its dull moments also. I think it's good that this run isn't so overly long. I think the use of this hack is justified, since this TAS provides something really different than the published LoZ TASes, whereas the two other proposed additional Zelda runs for the site are a 100% run, and a swordless run, which are both nearly identical to the published TASes.