Follow Jill and her giant bazookas on an epic adventure as she takes on giant snakes, tentacle plants and huge naked men!
  • Emulator used: Desmume 0.9.4+
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
This is a 2 minutes and 25 second improvement over my previous run. 50 seconds comes from using a gun and the rest from optimization and various small improvements, like holding the B button to make all the in-game text scroll twice as fast. I'm so stupid.
Suggested frame for screenshot: 69346

adelikat: The viewer response and quality is more than enough for publication. The delay of judgement has been over the issue of the PSX version vs the DS version. However, I will accept this submission and put off the debate until a PSX version is made. At that point the possibility of a cross platform obsoletion will be discussed.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2472: Fladdermus's DS Resident Evil - Deadly Silence in 28:44.68
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
FYI, you should cancel the old run now that you've submitted a new one.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Publisher
Sir VG wrote:
The old one has been canceled already, I thought?
N._Harmonik
She/Her
I still don't see why Rebirth mode wasn't used. Besides, I was fairly certain that you're supposed to use the first version, no matter what the game, (in this case, PlayStation) but judging by everyone's responses, I guess not.
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
Aww, I liked the knife-only run.
N. Harmonik wrote:
I was fairly certain that you're supposed to use the first version, no matter what the game, (in this case, PlayStation).
I think the map adds a lot to the run, even if we miss out on the wonderful dialogue.
Experienced player (822)
N. Harmonik wrote:
Besides, I was fairly certain that you're supposed to use the first version, no matter what the game, (in this case, PlayStation)
Did you happen to see this viewpoint anywhere in the rules/guidelines/etc.? I have looked to see if there were any documentation from years past regarding the issue, but haven't found any.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I don't believe it's set out anywhere in the rules; the precedent seems to be the SMS Wonderboy run (specifically note adelikat's acceptance in the submission text).
Could someone encode it?
"The life is like you create it"
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Aktan wrote:
Sir VG wrote:
The old one has been canceled already, I thought?
It was not at the time of posting. It is now.
I still don't see why Rebirth mode wasn't used. Besides, I was fairly certain that you're supposed to use the first version, no matter what the game, (in this case, PlayStation) but judging by everyone's responses, I guess not.
No, you don't have to. Now if somebody did a version of this game that was virtually identical and completed slower, unless there's good reason, then it would be rejected. I'm sure I can find an example somewhere...
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Tub
There are three versions to choose from: PSX: + original version DS: + map + no more door transition animations +/- skippable cutscenes (depending on your taste) - ugly gfx GC (REmake) + best gfx + extended areas and more things to do - no emulator available yet anything I missed?
m00
Yeah, for one the Gamecube remake is so different it would likely warrant a separate run for it anyway once Gamecube can eventually be TASed. I don't consider that version a factor as far as this run goes (even if it could be tased already). The PSX had three versions itself. Original, Director's Cut, and Director's Cut with Dual Shock. I'm not completely sure what all the differences were, but some important ones: 1) Original PS version had no auto aim. The other two PS versions do. That would of course have an effect (no auto aim could possibly be faster some places, though extremely doubtful it's faster overall). 2) Director's Cut version (I'm pretty sure) had different arrangement of where key items were placed, and enemies as well - it was like a harder mode. It also had some different view/angles for some of the rooms (doubt it's a factor in a tas though) and it had different music than the original version for some reason (which is generally thought inferior I believe but I'm not sure). 3) Director's Cut with Dual Shock: Has auto aim, just like other Director's Cut. Has same music as original version. I don't know whether it had the same arangement of enemies and items as the original version or the harder arrangement. It might possibly have had both to select from. I don't know all the facts, so non-Dual Shock director's cut version might have had both versions to choose from too. If you're not confused now congratulations :P Those are the sort of things that should probably be considered/looked into though. If anything, maybe a separate run of the PS harder mode would be justifiable. Anyway, overall the DS version probably has the most advantages for a regular run. One question I have, does rebirth mode in DS version have enough differences from regular to justify it's own separate run? Would that be better for a run than the PSX hard mode, if two separate runs for RE were allowed?
RE1 -Original Japanese version had auto aim. American version doesn't. -You have to be kidding. Auto-aim makes all the difference. You spin around and turn in half the time it takes to run to the other side of the room and face your enemy. Knife runs would also be otherwise impossible. I did see the Tyrant knifed without auto aim once, but without the extra added turning speed auto aim gives gives you, it's not possible to do a flawless Tyrant knife fight. Director's Cut (Black) -Adds Arrange mode. Arrange mode makes the enemies harder and swaps key items to different locations. -Adds auto aim. -Designed to load faster than vanilla RE1 -Same soundtrack as the original Director's Cut Dual Shock (Greatest Hits) -Different soundtrack -No difference in Arrange Modes between the two versions -Designed to load the fastest out of all the PlayStation versions. For the record, pretty much every Japanese version of every RE game has difficulty balances leaning towards an easier game. Example, Yawn (snake) takes 4 Acid Rounds compared to 5 in the American version. Not to mention you take much less damage. Deadly Silence -Slightly remixed soundtrack from the original -Classic Mode difficulty on par with Japanese PSX versions. -Arrange Mode nixed in favor of Rebirth mode, which contains the same enemy placement and difficulty (damage tables) as Arrange Mode -Enemy AI is changed slightly, mostly in part to new movement animations for the zombies. Dodging patterns are, as a result, different. One of the most prominent examples is that the zombie on the 2F East Stairway hobbles over. This is different from the PSX version in that you can run around it without getting bit (required for speed), or having to bait it out of the way. Conclusion, Director's Cut and Deadly Silence should have separate runs. You're welcome. =]
Experienced player (954)
Ill vote yes without watching this updated run, the author did his "homework" well i think and reduced the time of a allright run that i was already whilling to vote yes, it seem you listened to some tips in the other thread, glad to see that so ill encourage you doing more :p Will watch later tought heh ^^
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
sgrunt wrote:
I don't believe it's set out anywhere in the rules; the precedent seems to be the SMS Wonderboy run (specifically note adelikat's acceptance in the submission text).
I did indeed set that precedent. However, since then we have added a lot of new platforms, including those which will have a lot of games in common (such as PSX & Saturn). I hope we expand to even more soon (such as GameCube). As such, I think it might necessary to revise such a precedent. I have discussed this with other admin sometime during the platform explosion this year. Atm, we are basically taking it on a case by case basis. However, I want to be more open to having both the original and remake versions of things, than I was in the past.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Unfortunately, I can't yet watch this without an encode. I hope to eventually get desmume working on my system. However, in the meantime, I also want to congratulate Fladdermus on making a sizable improvement to an old run. Good job!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Senior Moderator
adelikat wrote:
As such, I think it might necessary to revise such a precedent.
That's easy*, instead of giving priority to original version, give it to a superior version. That should also make it compatible with pretty much every such decision already made, since the original versions have so far been superior to later installments in most/all ways, which holds true for most pre-1995 arcade-to-console conversions. By superiority, I mean these things first and foremost, in descending order of importance. 1. Suitability for speedrunning: amount of useful tricks/glitches, potential and known shortcuts, idle time & cutscenes. 2. Presentation factors: resolution, animation, overall sound quality. For one, if a certain port does everything the original does, and does it better, there is no reason to give priority to the latter. * — In principle, not necessarily in practice.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
When I try to watch it, I don't see any of the characters... So, I'm watching the little yellow dot move around on the map... I tried a bunch of different settings, but I can't get anything to show up. Its just the backgrounds on the bottom screen. Any help?
"I think we can put our differences behind us... for science, you monster."
Publisher
DemonStrate wrote:
When I try to watch it, I don't see any of the characters... So, I'm watching the little yellow dot move around on the map... I tried a bunch of different settings, but I can't get anything to show up. Its just the backgrounds on the bottom screen. Any help?
Change 3D render to software.
Aktan wrote:
DemonStrate wrote:
Change 3D render to software.
Ah. I changed it to SoftRasterizer and it works now. Thanks! I tried those settings before, but I was trying different emulators (regular 9.4, and 9.5), but I didn't try changing it once I got 9.4+. Thanks.
"I think we can put our differences behind us... for science, you monster."
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Looks good, but I'm stuck in the "wait for an encode" crowd for now...
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Active player (276)
Thanks for the encode, looks awesome. Definite yes from me :-)
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Notably improved from the last time yes vote. I still think we need to establish categories for this game, given the different platforms and versions.
Thanks for the encode! Gets a yes vote from me. Bosses dying almost before you realize the fight has started is always entertaining. :P Suggested screenshot: Around 4:39 in the encode. "Will you take the Bazooka?"
Stuffs. Yarr!
Scepheo wrote:
The chance of choosing the right door is 0, because laser-absorbing goats will brainwash you.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Thanks again, Aktan, for the encode! Really, much thanks to every one of the casual encoders these days. This run looked a lot better than the last one. I see now that when corners were taken wide, it was largely so that you still maintain maximum speed around the corner, rather than having to deal with slow acceleration from turning. Also, the bazooka did an awesome job with the bosses. Yes vote. As for a screenshot, I think that the time around 10:23 is pretty good. At that point, the game asks if you'll climb a ladder, but Jill is clearly facing the corner instead of the ladder. Alternately, I like near the beginning, there's a zombie that gets stabbed because he's in the way of a statue Jill is trying to push... that moment is pretty humorous to me.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.