1 2
9 10
Post subject: Open Forum: Feature Requests
Jess
She/Her
Site Developer
If you'd like to see a feature added to the site or forums, please post your ideas here. I promise we will look every idea over. Don't be afraid to get your ideas out in the open!
I enjoyed NESVideoAgent's automatic screenshot system, and would be happy to see it return if possible. It was a good way to get a feel for what the gameplay was like before an encode becomes available.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Banned User, Former player
Every time I click on the "Mark all topics read" link inside a group, I automatically then click on the "TASVideos Forum Index" link in the next page to get to the main index page instead of the group page (where it redirects in a few seconds if nothing is done). This has been a minor nuisance for quite many years. I don't think it makes much sense to return to the group after all topics have been marked read. Could this be changed so that clicking on that link returns directly to the main forum index page (not even going through that intermediate page which informs you that all the topics have been marked read, because that's exactly what I just did)? Edit: Oh, and another thing: I don't know if it's a bug or a deliberate choice, but I have noticed that if you log out of the forum, it will mark all topics in all groups read. This can be a huge nuisance if you log out accidentally, making you lose track of everything that had been unread. Could this be fixed (iow. logging out does not mark everything as read, so that when you log in again, what was unread is retained).
Jess
She/Her
Site Developer
Warp wrote:
Every time I click on the "Mark all topics read" link inside a group, I automatically then click on the "TASVideos Forum Index" link in the next page to get to the main index page instead of the group page (where it redirects in a few seconds if nothing is done). This has been a minor nuisance for quite many years. I don't think it makes much sense to return to the group after all topics have been marked read. Could this be changed so that clicking on that link returns directly to the main forum index page (not even going through that intermediate page which informs you that all the topics have been marked read, because that's exactly what I just did)? Edit: Oh, and another thing: I don't know if it's a bug or a deliberate choice, but I have noticed that if you log out of the forum, it will mark all topics in all groups read. This can be a huge nuisance if you log out accidentally, making you lose track of everything that had been unread. Could this be fixed (iow. logging out does not mark everything as read, so that when you log in again, what was unread is retained).
I do believe this is a bug with the version of phpBB we are using. We're looking into upgrading to phpBB 3, but that's still a little ways off.
Skilled player (1636)
I'd love to see 'list all submissions by this player' inside the profile box, and, as a pipe dream, list all movies published. Right now, if you click on a profile, the circulum vitae only gives minimal information.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
DarkKobold wrote:
I'd love to see 'list all submissions by this player' inside the profile box, and, as a pipe dream, list all movies published. Right now, if you click on a profile, the circulum vitae only gives minimal information.
I've added links to the relevant lists to the profile.
Skilled player (1636)
In the search options: Search previous: Search topic title and message text Search message text only Why is there no Search Topic Title only? IIRC, this a PHP BB2 error, and unfixable. But, for a board where every topic title is named after a game, this would help.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Derakon wrote:
I enjoyed NESVideoAgent's automatic screenshot system, and would be happy to see it return if possible. It was a good way to get a feel for what the gameplay was like before an encode becomes available.
I actually concur with this. He also has better screenshot detection mechanisms than I do... seriously, I have no eye for entertainment or originality.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I would like a hub for player information. At the moment it seems like the forum profile is turning into that hub. I would like being able to get to the player profile when viewing a movie. At the moment, there is a link to the player's homepage, or if there the movie is made by a team, no link at all. See for example adelikat's list of movies: http://tasvideos.org/Movies-90up-143up-159up-222up-246up-252up-271up-277up-287up-313up-357up-359up-360up-396up-401up-425up-Obs.html The player homepage can be reached via the player profile instead.
Jess
She/Her
Site Developer
Sorry Truncated, I didn't see this post until now. I will see what we can do about the 'hub' for player information. If anything, we may just link to the user's forum profile.
Newbie TAS movies forum..Where Newcomers to TAS could have their first full TAS and some advice from more experienced TAS:ers,about which and what they could/should improve..My point is that newbies like me usually dont reach even near the published movies..Or often not even movies in Gruefood section...
Isn't that what the newbie corner is for? Or perhaps I'm not understanding your suggestion.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Im sorry..My englih skills again..Sometimes I dont remember how something translates from Finnish and I just wrote my suggestion..Well too loosely? "Where Newcomers to TAS could have their first full TASmovie published and some advice from more experienced TAS:ers,about which and what they could/should improve..My point is that newbies like me usually dont reach even near the published movies.We usually start as any with savestates and slowdown..Without a clue of the right settings etc..And yes,there is always a microstorage..But often these attemps of tas just are not commented in any way..Those are often seen in forum of that particular game between of chatting amongst more experienced TAS:ers,Talking new hard to pull tricks they have found..And as conversation speeds up..The page leaves 2 then 3,and finally so much back that..It`s forgotten..
Post subject: "name" parameter, and movie link
Editor, Active player (296)
Feature request: Make the "name" parameter on movies.cgi smarter. http://tasvideos.org/movies.cgi?name=solomon+key gives me 0 movies (and an error, but that's another topic). II know it accepts "solomon's", but I want it to be smarter and not require me to go through hoops to get what I want (i.e. exact spelling). Feature request 2: Make the movie name (or something else) clickable on multi-movie movie listings, and have it lead to the just-that-movie page. Now I have to read the movie id from the mouseover text, and enter it manually in the URL to get e.g. 1000M.html.
I was thinking that the hour of the registration to the forum could be removed from the info below the avatar (i.e. Joined: 2010-03-31 instead of Joined: 2010-03-31 23:16:38) because it's not really useful and it takes some pointless place. EDIT: To avoid having to consistently update wiki pages, you could also add a new option to movie modules which would force them to show the newest movie if the one indicated in the module's id has been obsoleted. For example: [module:displaymovie|id=1503|<new_great_option>] would display [1608] GB Super Mario Land by MUGG in 12:13.08 instead of [1503] GB Super Mario Land by MUGG in 12:13.15. Some modules (like those used in users' homepage list of of recommended movies) should not used this option of course.
Player (116)
How about a constantly updated wish-list pages in the Game resources section. This might help the newcomers pick games to TAS. The section should include games that HAVE NOT been done, but are suitable for TASing. This should be done for all systems, but might be smaller for some depending on how many games have been done.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
Senior Moderator
That's not really a forum feature, is it?
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Post subject: Re: "name" parameter, and movie link
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Bisqwit wrote:
Feature request 2: Make the movie name (or something else) clickable on multi-movie movie listings, and have it lead to the just-that-movie page. Now I have to read the movie id from the mouseover text, and enter it manually in the URL to get e.g. 1000M.html.
This feature has all ready been done with a "View publication" link that is in all movie modules.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
moozooh wrote:
That's not really a forum feature, is it?
Darkpsy also talked about site features. I guess the thread title (Open Forum [...]) has misled you.
Jess
She/Her
Site Developer
Yes, by "Open Forum", I mean everyone could submit and discuss site features they'd like to see.
When you're viewing an older version of a given page, the link "View Source" should show the source of the older version, and not of the newest one. (I think it can be done by adding &mode=source after &rev=xx in the link) Besides, it would be cool if a link to the actual page (or to the version of it which is being seen) was there in the "View source" page.
Skilled player (1636)
Is there a way to split this page into 2 pages, between forum rank/player rank? right now, it is sort of messy, and if you are curious who all of the skilled players are, you have to sift through the forum ranks. http://tasvideos.org/MostActivePosters.html
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
DarkKobold wrote:
[...]if you are curious who all of the skilled players are, you have to sift through the forum ranks.
If you want to do that, you could visit this list, which has the ability to sort on player points.
Skilled player (1636)
sgrunt wrote:
DarkKobold wrote:
[...]if you are curious who all of the skilled players are, you have to sift through the forum ranks.
If you want to do that, you could visit this list, which has the ability to sort on player points.
That is totally friggin awesome, thanks. Are there any html tricks to get it to load with setting of 'highest player points first'? i.e. if I wanted to link to that page, pre-sorted.
<TASVideoAgent> New reply by Flygon (Newbie: Desync during movie replay.): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/248045#248045 [a:1] <TASVideoAgent> New reply by Flygon (Newbie: Desync during movie replay.): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/248046#248046 [a:1] <TASVideoAgent> Post DELETED by Flygon (Newbie: Desync during movie replay.): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/248046#248046 <Flygon> TASVideos needs flood protection
This is pretty self explanatory. Flood protection on the forums would be nice. According to Grunt, there is a 10 second flood protection, but I don't think it's working too well.
1 2
9 10