This is a better version of previous run I made before. 51 drawings on the Calculations X 100 mode were replaced by new ones. No change on Brain Age Check mode.

Spoiler warning

This submission text tells you what I draw. I recommend you not to read it before watching the movie!

Game objectives

• Emulator used: desmume-0.9.6
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Is a demonstration
  • Manipulates luck
  • Uses game restart sequence
Note: The replay is not quite deterministic. If the replay runs desync,
1, Save at frame 117 during playing the movie.
2, Load the savestate slot.
3, Play the movie from beggining again and it will run well.

About the game

Have you ever had an interest in art or wanted to learn how to draw? Well now you can with the Brain Age software for the Nintendo DS system. Brain Age is a fun, interactive, and portable training software that will teach you how to draw, much as you would learn in Calculations X 100.
Hehe, I told a lie. The real description is as follows.
Brain Age is a puzzle game to exercise your brain a little each day. It is inspired by the research of Professor Ryuta Kawashima. You will play a variety of puzzles to train your brain. Although there has been controversy over the scientific effectiveness of the game in keeping your brain active, the game got very popular.

About the run

This run shows you how you can abuse the number recognition program by secretly drawing the number answer in each picture. You can see random characters on Brain Age Check mode, and video game stuff on calculations X 100 mode. The latter mode, the run ignores the game time and fails to launch a rocket. This time, it takes 5 minutes to solve the entire math problem, and it is slower than the previous run. This is because the run aims to be as entertaining as possible.

Examples of how to abuse the recognition program

List of drawings

AnswerDrawingAppearance
10MarioSuper Mario Bros. (NES)
0LuigiSuper Mario Bros. (NES)
27KirbyKirby’s Adventure (NES)
32PikachuPokémon Red / Green (GB)
9National PokédexPokémon Red / Green (GB)
2Ray GunSuper Smash Bros. (N64)
12Fox McCloudStar Fox (SNES)
3Donkey KongDonkey Kong Country (SNES)
0Dungeon MapThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
18ControllerNintendo 64
1GulliverAnimal Crossing (N64)
14Haunted HouseSuper Mario World (SNES)
48Captain FalconF-ZERO (SNES)
13WandaMario & Wario (SNES)
6NessEarthBound (NES)
21Nintendo 64 SymbolNintendo 64
7AlphaCubivore: Survival of the Fittest (GC)
1Piranha PlantSuper Mario Bros. (NES)
6Mars DjinnGolden Sun (GBA)
11Dream LandSuper Smash Bros. (N64)
7JigglypuffPokémon Red / Green (GB)
15YoshiYoshi’s Story (N64)
3MedliThe Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC)
7ShellSuper Mario Bros. (NES)
5GenoSuper Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
24DaroachKirby: Squeak Squad (GBA)
8HookshotThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
30R. O. B.Stack-Up (NES)
14MushroomSuper Mario Bros. (NES)
9TetrisTetris (GB)
8Treasure BagPokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness (DS)
8LugiaPokémon Gold / Silver (GB)
9Game BoyGame Boy
72LinkThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
4RaphaelSuper Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES)
16GordoKirby’s Adventure (GB)
1OlimarPikmin (GC)
0BombchuThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
28GoombaSuper Mario Bros. (NES)
5NanaIce Climber (NES)
24BowserSuper Mario Bros. (NES)
8Deku ScrubThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
63GanondorfThe Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC)
3MewPokémon Red / Green (GB)
5RoyFire Emblem: The Binding Blade (GBA)
5Blue FalconF-ZERO (SNES)
6Game CubeGame Cube
12Poltergust 3000Luigi’s Mansion (GC)
27Marx SoulKirby Super Star Ultra (DS)
0Nintendo DS LiteNintendo DS Lite
6Princess PeachSuper Mario Bros. (NES)
6LaprasPokémon Red / Green (GB)
5PitKid Icarus (NES)
3Home-Run ContestSuper Smash Bros. Melee (GC)
10MewtwoPokémon Red / Green (GB)
9Stitchface VegetableSuper Smash Bros. Melee (GC)
7WarioSuper Mario Land 2 (GB)
10Tetris AttackTetris Attack (SNES)
48Chef KawasakiKirby Super Star (SNES)
14Sabure PrinceKaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (GB)
4RickKirby’s Dream Land 2 (GB)
8Wave BeamMetroid (NES)
5KururinKuru Kuru Kururin (GBA)
24Kanto RegionPokémon Red / Green (GB)
5MagikoopaSuper Mario World (SNES)
24SamusMetroid (NES)
6MagonWario World (GC)
35WiiWii
4ReznorSuper Mario World (SNES)
10Master SwordThe Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
0Star Fox EmblemStar Fox 64 (N64)
9Spike TopSuper Mario World (SNES)
13Super Happy TreeYoshi’s Story (N64)
9Fairy BowThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
2MarthFire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (NES)
6PichuPokémon Gold / Silver (GB)
27Hot WingsKirby’s Epic Yarn (Wii)
9Zora’s SapphireThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
30Pirate ShipYoshi’s Topsy-Turvy (GBA)
17ShiekThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
14CresseliaPokémon Diamond / Pearl (DS)
12ArmankSuper Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
6Cheep-CheepSuper Mario Bros. (NES)
4Minuet of ForestThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
8Falco LombardiStar Fox (SNES)
11Mr. SaturnEarthBound (NES)
0PotionPokémon Red / Green (GB)
4Mr. Game & WatchBall (G&W)
3AerodactylPokémon Red / Green (GB)
4SnivyPokémon Black / White (DS)
8DragoonKirby Air Ride (GC)
13ArwingStar Fox (SNES)
9Battle Against Master HandSuper Smash Bros. (N64)
21K. K. SliderAnimal Crossing (N64)
6Samurai GorohF-ZERO (SNES)
14Shine SpriteSuper Mario Sunshine (GC)
7HanenbowElectroplancton (DS)
2Hylian ShieldThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
4VinceArt Academy (DS)
45Ho-ohPokémon Gold / Silver (GB)

Professor Ryuta Kawashima’s message

Special thanks

• ISM, Kuromitsu, Magi, 890, 0xwas, and WaddleDX, for their runs.
  • Boombafunk, for telling me that the Minuet of Forest I drew was incorrect.
  • jlun2, for suggesting a title of the movie. It helped me come up with the branch name I used here.
  • Writers of Nico Nico Pedia, for their article
Hope you enjoy the movie, thank you!

Suggested screenshots

6702, 9246, 11318, 17692, 19928, and 20894

Flygon: Rigged up a YouTube module.

adelikat: Claimed for judging!

adelikat: There was a lot of divided opinions on this submission and while there were a lot of really good points, this one resonated the most with me. As such, I am accepting this an as improvement to the currently published movie.
(Further documentation of my decision here.)
sgrunt: I'll publish this shortly.

Skilled player (1530)
pepness wrote:
I must admit having more time to think about it that prolly the best deed of action would to simply edit the text under the entry for the origional entry to say something along the lines of
Brain Age is a puzzle game designed on the premise of exercising your brain. In this run, for example, the idea is to solve a series of simple mathematical puzzles. And yet, the answers given... are not exactly what you'd expect. You can also go *here* to see a longer version of this run where the author improved upon the quality of the picture sacrificing time for art and entertainment.
I agree with pepness if the new run should be rejected, but I really hope the run will be published and obsolete the old one. I have tried to make a lot of TASes that abuse word recognition program, besides Brain Age run. I wasn't able to find any game that recognize a detailed drawing as a correct answer. If many people want a quick paced run, then you can make a TAS of any game that you can abuse word recognition program. But other than Brain Age, there is nothing that can recognize a detailed drawing as a word. (At least it is almost impossible to make a run like Brain Age TAS with other famous game.) IMO, quick paced run should be done in another game.
I'm surprised there's any discussion about NOT obsoleting the old one, though I see where people are coming from. I find this one more technically impressive. I didn't mind waiting longer between images. I can't really add much to that--it's going to be one of those "personal preference" debates. I don't know if it's better to put something like this to a vote or for judges to just agree on something and go from there, but in a case like this I hope the opinion of the person who submitted both runs holds serious weight in the decision.
I will not use self-reference in my signature.
If we ask the opinion of anybody submitting a run, that person will (almost) always say yes for their run to be published (with the exception being joke april fools submissions). Note also that most people will not watch an obsolete run, even if it remains on the site, the same way that most people don't watch movies devoured by Tasvideos grue, even if they are also available. It looks like the order in which you watch these videos has an impact in the perception of the quality of the movie, but watchers seem to think that the shorter one looks more like a TAS. Can someone provide more feedback?
No.
DrJones wrote:
watchers seem to think that the shorter one looks more like a TAS.
I think people are saying that the shorter one is more entertaining, not that it looks more like a TAS. I would be surprised if anybody thought either run was not tool-assisted.
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
DrJones wrote:
If we ask the opinion of anybody submitting a run, that person will (almost) always say yes for their run to be published (with the exception being joke april fools submissions).
This is a given, but I can see where you thought I meant that. Specifically, I'd like his opinion on how the new or old run is preserved to have some weight--if, for example, he wanted the new run added to the description for the old run, or something along those lines.
I will not use self-reference in my signature.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Ryuto wrote:
but I really hope the run will be published and obsolete the old one. I have tried to make a lot of TASes that abuse word recognition program, besides Brain Age run. I wasn't able to find any game that recognize a detailed drawing as a correct answer. If many people want a quick paced run, then you can make a TAS of any game that you can abuse word recognition program. But other than Brain Age, there is nothing that can recognize a detailed drawing as a word. (At least it is almost impossible to make a run like Brain Age TAS with other famous game.) IMO, quick paced run should be done in another game.
Thank you for responding! Also, this opinion resonates with me the most (regardless of the fact that he is the author). It is worth considering strongly this version of Brain Age because it has the unique ability to go this overboard with the drawing. And I think that's what I enjoyed most about the crazy drawing this time around. Knowing that it is abusing the number recognition to over the top absurd limits.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Experienced player (699)
What is the difference between having this run and me TASing Mario Paint and drawing 80 detailed pictures?
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
I think that this awesome movie should obsolete the old one for the reason stated by the author.
andrewg wrote:
What is the difference between having this run and me TASing Mario Paint and drawing 80 detailed pictures?
Mario Paint is about painting, while Brain Age isn't.
AzumaK wrote: I swear my 1 year old daughter's favorite TASVideo is your R4MI run :3 xxNKxx wrote: ok thanks handsome feos :D Help improving TASVideos!
Banned User, Former player
andrewg wrote:
You are not fooling the game into giving you a perfect score.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1734] DS Brain Age "playaround" by Ryuto in 06:33.66
I think it would be interesting to show an alternate version of this that draws the number first and then the rest of the lines, to demonstrate how it's seeing the numbers. Or perhaps an alternate encode that pauses to show the hidden numbers.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
You know what would be awesome? Draw characters and things MLP-related.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
PikachuMan wrote:
You know what would be awesome? Draw characters and things MLP-related.
I'm against this. Even though I should be for. I'm against it.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Guga
He/Him
...why specifically MLP...?
Guga wrote:
Because it appeals the fanbase and irritates the rest. It's a win-win situation.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Warp wrote:
Guga wrote:
Because it appeals the fanbase and irritates the rest. It's a win-win situation.
2 Seasons too late. Anyways I would still be against it. Can we all shut up now. Please and thank you.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Skilled player (1404)
Nnnnyeah, I think TASVideos had its fill of pony related artwork. If you wanna do it and upload it to your own Youtube channel, though, go ahead. You might even make the front page of EqD.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Yes vote for a pony run of this :3
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
All memes are allowed... except this particular one. I'll perhaps never understand.
Editor
For me, this kind of TAS should be seen as 90% proof of concept and 10% payload. That is, it doesn't matter what stuff Ryuto drew, what matters is that it wasn't numbers, but it still worked. What would a pony run prove?
Lex
It would attempt to prove that Ryuto is a really awesome artist. That's already been proven though.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
thatguy wrote:
What would a pony run prove?
Nothing but something “special” for a significant part of TASvideos audience
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Skilled player (1404)
You mean the select few of us who foul up the IRC channel every so often?
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.