Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
It's finally done! http://nvdata.pilif.ch/VBA-rerecording-new5.zip Or at least, I think it's done. I haven't been able to test it very extensively, so you'll probably still find problems with it, but it's certainly better than before. Please try it out and let me know how it goes. (I thought I'd make this a new topic since the other one was getting a little large and frequently off-topic.) To Bisqwit: This should meet all of your requirements for a VBA re-recording emulator. Let me know if it doesn't. The zip file should contain more than enough info, along with the full diff of the source changes.
Unable to start program, MFC71.DLL not found.
Arg, how can you not have that file? I mean, OK I'll try switching the build type and re-upload. In the meantime, try looking someplace like here.
Able to start program, program is awesome.
SWOOOOOOOM
caitsith2
He/Him
Player (46)
You rock. I like the interface on VBA, frame counter, Input display, and all of that stuff.
Active player (410)
Why left+right had been removed?
Active player (277)
It's an option under Joypad.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Active player (410)
Ah oh thx. Who wants more? Excellent job nitsuja.
Active player (277)
Although I notice that disallowing opposite directions doesn't make them both cancel out, as FCEU does, but instead chooses Left for Left+Right and Up for Up+Down.
Nice work. :) I hope that this means VBA recording is finalized and ready for the real thing. I hope someone will try to tackle Zelda: Minish Cap with it.
ARRGHH, I can`t open rom. :Ç
I am a Mega Man fan that hates Megaman X8.
ventuz
He/Him
Player (123)
nice, im having little problem with re-recording, sometime when i push re-recording from state 1, then it went zoom ahead 5~15 frames.
Player (84)
Hmm. When your making a movie, and you stop it to watch. is Re-Recording the same as it would be on the snes? just save/load the state? or is it different
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
I like what you've done to the interfaces. One minor bug I found so far is that when saving state while paused, the "wrote state" message doesn't appear until you frame advance. Also, I think the state save/load interface is good, but I got used to FCEU so it would take some getting used to. But excellent work, I hope we can see some games on this soon!
Bag of Magic Food: Would you rather have them cancel out? I thought having it choose one of the two was more user-friendly and standard, but maybe it isn't. julianch: You'll have to explain more, but I'm guessing you just have a corrupted ROM. ventuz: Sometimes loading the state is slow and it thinks it needs to adjust for the lost time by rendering the next frames quickly. This shouldn't be a problem if you load the state while the game is paused or going very slowly. Vatchern: Re-recording is the same as on Snes9x. You have to uncheck "read-only" to re-record instead of rewinding. If you open a movie in read-only mode, you can change it to non-read-only from the menu. There is another option, you can choose "continue recording from here" from the menu if you don't want to save+load to do it (hopefully that works, will test more). Also, if you want to re-record from the end of the movie or a specific frame, check "pause at frame" and when it pauses, hit save, load, unpause. TheAxeMan: Currently VBA isn't capable of drawing messages while paused, just like Snes9x, and adding that kind of functionality is a lot harder than it seems like it should be. Although it should be easier than adding it to Snes9x would be, so I'll give it a try. What about the save/load interface is different, is it that there are no prev/next slot commands? I can't figure out how to remove the dependency on MFC71.DLL, anyone know anything about this? I'm not loading or using that DLL anywhere, only the compiler itself uses it to compile... Should that file just be included with the emulator? I just realized that Rewind works pretty weirdly when lots of save states are used (it rewinds into all of your attempts that have already been undone), and the "watch from start" action somehow stopped working, both of these are non-essential extra features anyway but they should get fixed sometime...
Former player
I actually have the same problem Julianch had, I think. Basically, when I try to "Open ROM" no dialogue box pops up (and I checked to make sure the dialogue box opened with other versions of VBA.) I then tried to drag&drop a ROM into the emulator and my computer promptly froze (cold boot required). Note that the ROM is in a ZIP, however other versions of VBA have no problem loading the ROM inside. I was able to get a game loaded when I dropped+dragged the unzipped ROM onto the executable. I suspect it worked because the emulator opened up and loaded (as opposed to the ROM being unzipped) but I haven't tested that. I suppose the only other detail I can think to mention is that I'm using Win98SE. On that note, I decided to try it on my WinXP machine and the dialogue box came up fine. OS information, anyone? EDIT: I also should have mentioned that neither of my computers had MFC71.DLL, but only the WinXP machine complained about it. Installing the DLL onto the Win98SE machine didn't fix the problem.
Hmm, well all of this works fine for me, but I can only test on WinXP. I haven't changed the Open ROM dialog or unzip code at all. I'll see if I can get it to compile with a different compiler, maybe VS.NET is adding some stupid stuff in the build process. VBA seems to do a lot of special-case things with visual themes in dialogs, but none of that has been touched.
Active player (277)
nitsuja wrote:
Bag of Magic Food: Would you rather have them cancel out? I thought having it choose one of the two was more user-friendly and standard, but maybe it isn't.
Nah, you probably did the right thing. I mean, a lot of games just choose one over the other anyway. It's just harder for me to notice if I have the option turned on in such a game, heh.
caitsith2
He/Him
Player (46)
Found one game that glitches with left/right. Super Mario Advance 4, you face to the left, run right, at a fast speed, but no P meter build up. Also, there seems to be a way to scroll yourself off the screen and die. It involves left/right for one frame, then auto fire left.
Active player (277)
There seems to be a flaw in the use of borders during movies: VBA uses the border settings for the previously played movie rather than the current one. So if you watch a SGB movie immediately after watching a GB or GBC movie, it won't show the border unless you turn it on yourself; and if you watch a GB or GBC movie immediately after watching a SGB movie, there'll be a useless black border, even if you never turned it on.
Former player
The "Read-Only Mode" option under Tools->Play is broken. I used it a while ago and recorded a few rooms to find out none of it was saved.
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
There seems to be a flaw in the use of borders during movies: VBA uses the border settings for the previously played movie rather than the current one. So if you watch a SGB movie immediately after watching a GB or GBC movie, it won't show the border unless you turn it on yourself; and if you watch a GB or GBC movie immediately after watching a SGB movie, there'll be a useless black border, even if you never turned it on.
Hmm, you're right. This was working but then I had to fix something else (VBA handles borders really strangely so it would pause and resize the window several seconds into the movie unless it's overridden in a certain way), so I just have to, uh, fix the fix. Maybe I should add a "no border" checkbox to the play movie screen while I'm at it?
About read-only, can you give steps to duplicate this? I use it a lot and it works for me so far. (And in any case, just because it wasn't saved doesn't mean your progress is lost, just open the movie in non-read-only and load the last state you saved and it'll add it all back into the movie.)
Former player
I just clicked the option and it said "Your movie can now be editted" or something similar to that. It looked like it was recording but it wasn't. I already redid everything that was lost so it's not that bad. Good job so far though.
Active player (277)
Ooh, I found another bug. You know the Select+Start+A+B reset code that many games have? Well, in the first and third Mega Man games (any version), using that code causes VisualBoyAdvance to freeze completely. I don't know of any other games that have this problem, but I'll tell you if I find any.