1 2
11 12 13
18 19
Skilled player (1402)
Reminds me of this thread, that I made over 6 years ago. I still think a run where Kirby doesn't speed through the stages with items like UFO or wheel would be interesting, but I'm not quite sure if it would be publishable. As MUGG said though, altering memory would disqualify a run for publication right away, but it might still make an entertaining youtube movie.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
You could only submit it if you could make the changes into a hack and TAS on that, since a TAS movie file only contains the controller input. I like the idea, but I'm not sure it would be accepted. As noted in the Kirby's Adventure thread, Kirby games are about showing off different powers, which is why a lot of people don't like the currently published run (which keeps the UFO power for most of the run).
Having played through the entire game using Star Rod, here are my thoughts: Aside from the obvious issue of needing to hack/cheat to get the Star Rod ability to begin with, you must drop the ability midway through 4-2 & reacquire it again afterwards. This completely throws off the flow of a run. Which is a shame, as otherwise a Star Rod only run would be quite entertaining: - Kirby doesn't loose the Star Rod ability when taking damage, allowing for damage boosts. - Bosses are beaten so quickly that the game is almost all platforming action. - Star Rod Kirby jumps quite high (4.75 blocks instead of the normal 3), allowing you to leap over some obstacles that normally would require flying. This makes it easier to keep your "slide-off-the-edge-of-a-platform" momentum. - Kirby turns into Sonic the Hedgehog, being able to destroy enemies and many projectiles just by jumping into them. This allows for mass destruction without needing to slow down to attack. Spinning all the time just looks cool, as well.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
Aside from the obvious issue of needing to hack/cheat to get the Star Rod ability to begin with, you must drop the ability midway through 4-2 & reacquire it again afterwards. This completely throws off the flow of a run.
Can you get rid of the starrod and does it behave like an ability star? If the parts that require losing the ability involve a ladder (that means, starrod Kirby can't climb down?), why don't you try inhaling the star from underneath the upper ladder end?
MUGG wrote:
Aside from the obvious issue of needing to hack/cheat to get the Star Rod ability to begin with, you must drop the ability midway through 4-2 & reacquire it again afterwards. This completely throws off the flow of a run.
Can you get rid of the starrod and does it behave like an ability star? If the parts that require losing the ability involve a ladder (that means, starrod Kirby can't climb down?), why don't you try inhaling the star from underneath the upper ladder end?
You have to die to lose it. I've seen that ladder underwater. Thanks for the tip, though. I'm pretty sure starrod kirby can climb ladders. Started my TAS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDxHHFATPTY&feature=channel_video_title
TAS noob, go easy on me! I also make YouTube Poops at www.YouTube.com/LeStarmanDeluxe.
Skilled player (1402)
I don't know how much effort you are willing to spend on this, but your movie looked like a playthrough. I don't know if your goal is just providing a playthrough, or to provide a somewhat optimized TAS. To see what I mean with a somewhat optimized TAS, here is the movie I posted of world 1 in the thread I linked earlier: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1881649814/Baxter%2BKIRBYADV.fm2
My goal is doing what that video shows. I don't know what you would call it. It's fairly faster than normal gameplay and a lot more slick. Also it's in HD! Yay.. I finished Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBrBBfxJ5zM
TAS noob, go easy on me! I also make YouTube Poops at www.YouTube.com/LeStarmanDeluxe.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
It doesn't look slick at all. It looks very unoptimal.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
BLMNDEF wrote:
My goal is doing what that video shows. I don't know what you would call it. It's fairly faster than normal gameplay and a lot more slick.
If you want the TAS to be accepted here, you need to make it into a real hack. That could mean hacking the Star Rod ability to be permanent, and then hacking the Rod to shoot stars upward or hacking the level to remove one of those blocks in 4-2. Also, you really should try to reduce lag in levels by destroying enemies as they appear on screen and trying different routes. The run won't get accepted here unless it's optimal. Also, you should be using the (U)[!] ROM.
Post subject: Kirby's Adventure "glitched" ?
I stumbled across this video again today. The player reached the credits by performing a glitch in stage 6-1. I'm pretty sure he used either Nestopia or Nintendulator. Some years ago I though it was caused by bad emulation because I only managed to make FCEU freeze, and there was nothing more to it. Today I tried on FCEUX and got to the credits by pausing the game at the same frame it "freezes". I think it can be reproduced very reliably. I'm not sure if it works on a real console, but if it does wouldn't it classify for a TAS? ---------- fm2 Youtube
Wow, awesome! I've never seen this glitch before, but I'm going to try glitching to the credits on my NES right now and let you know if it works. Would a new movie using this glitch obsolete the current published run or be published alongside it as a new "glitched"/"stone glitch" run?
Be careful when trying on the real console. The author of the original video stated it can destroy your save files (and your game, but I doubt that). Since you can do that glitch only very late in the game, I do not know if a separate category is the right way to go, but that's not up to me... We should try to see if using other abilities on that spot glitch up the game too. Or if earlier places like this exist in the game. Maybe the only condition to be met is to have stone Kirby transform into stone while flying into a body of water from below..
I haven't had it destroy my save data yet. I've only gotten a screen freeze so far without pausing, and a solid pink frozen screen by rapidly pausing (manually, not autofiring). Since it appears to be a frame-precise trick, the easiest way to test this on an NES would be to play back a run up to and including the glitch to the NESbot. Hopefully someone with an NESbot has access to a Kirby's Adventure cartridge so they can test this out.
A pink screen and screen freeze is pretty good! That resembles what I'm getting on FCEUX. Just keep trying with rapid pausing, maybe you can get it to work eventually. Maybe feeding your NES a run is worth trying, but it might not work due to little inaccuracies in emulation. I wouldn't deem the glitch useless if Nesbot failed.
Well, I don't have an NESbot, but maybe someone who has one could test it out on that. I'm going to keep trying with rapid pausing.
In stage 4-6 I tested around by editing the level map. It's confirmed that the "glitch tile" in 6-1 is indeed only a water tile. All we have to do is have Stone Kirby transform into stone while flying into a body of water from below, like I suggested. There's no such place in the game where you can enter water from below, though. Flying into a body of water from the side seems to work too. I had a glitch happen a few years ago, in one of the earlier levels where a tile on the level map just changed, probably due to too much stuff going on. But I could never reproduce it... So the ideal idea for a TAS is to have such a lag glitch produce a water tile and use the credits glitch on it! EDIT: I've gotten this glitch to work a few times without pausing.
I just recorded a real-time run up to 6-1 and tried to splice in the input from your savestated run, but it froze the game. I tried moving the Start button press down a few frames and delayed entering the room, but I can't get your .fm2's result. My goal was to produce a run that would allow an NESbot to console verify the glitch. The currently published run didn't sync both times I converted it, so I made my own, but I can't seem to reproduce this glitch with my movie file. I haven't had any luck reproducing the glitch on the console either. With rapid pausing, I keep getting either a pink screen with glitched tiles and letters and Kirby's HUD (lives, health, current Copy Ability) or a whole screen of yellow glitched tiles, Kirbys, and Waddle Doos.
That my fm2 didn't work was to be expected since it doesn't start from power-up and you probably had a different savegame. The glitch is very sensitive.. JXQ's run can't be converted into a working fm2, and I don't know if nesbot would be able to sync a movie all the way till 6-1, let alone if the glitch even works as expected on the NES. So I'm not sure if I want to spend time on making a playthrough fm2 to 6-1. How many times did you try the glitch now, on NES?
About 10 times. I have an original NES controller so I can't autofire. I've been testing by entering the room, turning into Stone Kirby and breaking the block, then pressing B again, and then pausing and unpausing over and over.
It seems the glitch sometimes isn't as reliable as I thought, so going to the credits becomes a very rare thing (for console players). I don't think the glitch has been proven useless after only 10 tries. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/431039723/6-1sram.fm2 Is that what you were trying to make? Starts from reset, frame = 0 SRAM: first file, 6-1 completed (as JXQ's run up to that point). Other files are 0%. I got the game to run a glitched "world 1 intro" sequence (with Sword Kirby and a sword enemy), then I was in a random room in some level I don't know what world it's from.
MUGG wrote:
I don't think the glitch has been proven useless after only 10 tries.
I didn't say that.
MUGG wrote:
Is that what you were trying to make?
Yes. I was working with a 100% and two 17% files. I'll try it with your settings and your strategy.
MUGG wrote:
I got the game to run a glitched "world 1 intro" sequence (with Sword Kirby and a sword enemy), then I was in a random room in some level I don't know what world it's from.
What did the room look like? Was there a door you could go through? How did you get to the room anyway, through the stone glitch?
What did the room look like? Was there a door you could go through? How did you get to the room anyway, through the stone glitch?
Of course the stone glitch, yes. I was falling quite a bit of a distance, with some enemies. Then there was a row of breakable blocks. I know for sure it's a regular room somewhere in the game. What's more important is we know the game can glitch warp you to places and run the credits - at least I hope it can soon be verified to work on the NES. I'm trying more stuff now..
I know it's in Grape Garden or Yogurt Yard (I just went through that level an hour ago in my real-time run). I'll play through the levels to find out which level for sure. EDIT: Found it, it's Yogurt Yard, level 1, room 2 (5-1 r2).
Active player (422)
mugg, I decided to try out the glitch as shown in the video on my console, considering I have a controller with a turbo function on start. On the 15th attempt, the credits were triggered. Other attempts saw various sound and visual anomalies of various colors. One attempt reset the game. The point is, I can confirm this glitch works on the console proper exactly as shown in the video.
Thank you, Inzult! Well, there's your answer, MUGG. I guess a glitched run can start being made now.
1 2
11 12 13
18 19