Poor Sonic seems to be paralyzed! Oh, no! But Tails is there to help him get through all the trouble and beat Dr. Eggman! This challenge is all about Tails carrying Sonic all the way through the stages if possible. Too bad there are some impossible stages, but we'll do our best to make whatever's possible as entertaining as we, Razor_ua & Zenon, can.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
It’s definitely a good idea, but personally I would prefer to see it optimized.
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Former player
Razor_ua wrote:
Poor Sonic seems to be paralyzed! Oh, no! But Tails is there to help him get through all the trouble and beat Dr. Eggman! This challenge is all about Tails carrying Sonic all the way through the stages if possible. Too bad there are some impossible stages, but we'll do our best to make whatever's possible as entertaining as we, Razor_ua & Zenon, can.
... is that my answer? ... lol, you guys (razor_ua and zenon) do great TASes (very entertaining) but as said WST, sometimes, a bit more optimization may make it better to see.
~ [I]feeuzz
The only way to see an optimized run is for someone who knows a whole lot about optimization joins us. As for me, I find it very boring to optimize something. My personal taste and joy lies within creating ideas about ways to make the challenge possbile to complete. Searching for glitches and making the run entertaining.
You guys really need to realize that the run isn't suppose to be "fast". It's suppose to be entertaining. Although the post on this site is very irrelevant, that still doesn't mean that they have to optimize it. After all, I highly doubt they are going to publish the movie here on this site. So just sit back and enjoy.
If you want to see some of my TASes, http://www.youtube.com/ltrp300
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Kinda disappointed to hear that from an ex-TASer.
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Why is that?
Former player
What is happening here? Okay. Razor_ua and Zenon did a "Tool-Assisted Play", they used TAS Tools but not in order to do a speedrun, only to play. that's all.
~ [I]feeuzz
I get WST's side now. And to be completely honest, I'm for him. Posting a 'tool assisted speedrun' that isn't actually a speedrun has little to no reason to be posted on this website. I seriously think that their runs are entertaining, but they really aren't using the tools to speedrun. I guess the only reason why they post it here is to get attention. Pity. :/
I don't think it's a crime to use speedrun tools for other purposes. Our goal not to "speed run it like mad", but make entertaining video to watch. I think TASing is about being like movie producer. We want to show that's some what seems to be impossible is actually doable)
Patashu
He/Him
Razor_ua wrote:
I don't think it's a crime to use speedrun tools for other purposes. Our goal not to "speed run it like mad", but make entertaining video to watch. I think TASing is about being like movie producer. We want to show that's some what seems to be impossible is actually doable)
Pretty much this. TASing has a lot of applications, not just going as fast as absolutely possible but playarounds, showing off glitches, showing off idealized real time routes, etc
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Well, I didn’t want to start a holywar, I only wanted to highlight my position. I beleive that speed has significant role in degree of entertainment of any tool-assisted run. I didn’t want to say that this run is bad, I only suggested to try to make it faster. Will it make the run worse? Certainly it will not. But the run will become more enjoyable to watch, at least for TASers, whose eyes addicted to insane speeds, maybe even too much…
Editor, Player (44)
Tool Assisted Longplays definitely exist, and I guess that is one of those. Speed is a good way to make runs entertaining, but it's not the only way. I know I loved watching one of Miles' Metroid Prime series low%s (probably Prime 2); it wasn't any sort of speedrun (even though it was the record), it was just trying to prove that the category was possible at all. And it was still fun to watch, even though it wasn't very fast. Seeing it done fast would have been more impressive, though. (If beyond anyone's abilities at that point, and probably still nowadays.)
Editor, Player (68)
LTRP wrote:
I get WST's side now. And to be completely honest, I'm for him. Posting a 'tool assisted speedrun' that isn't actually a speedrun has little to no reason to be posted on this website. I seriously think that their runs are entertaining, but they really aren't using the tools to speedrun. I guess the only reason why they post it here is to get attention. Pity. :/
and the winner is...
true on twitch - lsnes windows builds 20230425 - the date this site is buried
The image on the header says "Tool Assisted Superplay". Not speedrun. It's basically the same thing, and at the same time they are quite the opposite. So we're doing runs which no human can ever do in their life. Proving impossible to be possible. TAS tools are helping us to plan every move to make it happen. I see nothing wrong, since as every other TASer we just make the impossible possible. Granted we have no time or knowledge to make those runs as optimized as possible, but many people still find it very fun and entertaining. As long as there are such people on this site, and I know there are, we will keep posting to make them at least a little bit more happy. I really don't think it's crime. We're not stealing spotlites from anyone, not submitting our unoptimized movies. We're just sharing our movies with people, who enjoy them.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
I’m trying to turn one of my Youtube «fans» to a TASer, lol. Maybe I will give him an idea to optimize this run, if I ever succeed with what I do…
Patahu wrote:
Pretty much this. TASing has a lot of applications, not just going as fast as absolutely possible but playarounds, showing off glitches, showing off idealized real time routes, etc
You guys are missing the point. Why upload it here if it's NOT a speedrun? I want one of you fellows to show me one run on this website that was published that wasn't actually a speedrun. Why can't they just post it on a forum that isn't dedicated for speedruns?
Experienced player (601)
I can recall several movies that do not aim for speed, here is one of the more popular ones: http://tasvideos.org/2990S.html Edit: Having said that, a TAS for this site is still expected to complete whatever goals it has as fast as possible with any speed tradeoffs made for a good reason (e.g. entertainment).
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Weatherton wrote:
I can recall several movies that do not aim for speed, here is one of the more popular ones: http://tasvideos.org/2990S.html
Creative one, used it as an example in my habrahabr.ru post :) Guys, we begin off topic…
skychase
He/Him
Imo, these runs are a great way to learn how to use the tas tools and to learn the tricks of a game that may become useful in a future speedrun, and they're usually entertaining so i don't see any problem. I learnd alot from the s2 ringless run attempts.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Zenon wrote:
which no human can ever do in their life
Say that to mike89 or fuzzerd ^^
If anybody here is making a Knuckles WIP, please take this video into consideration. It's a perfect(?) run made by Qwerty on the level Sandopolis Zone act 2.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
At least 2 mistakes in this run are already discussed on YSTC forum. But yes, the run is beautiful.
I found a new way of getting inside a wall in MG2 Link to video (at least I think it's new) Looks pretty useless but who knows :)
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Wow, I’ve just found this. Mike89 and wersterlobe playing S3K RTS :) Link to video It’s amazing. You guys (and also fuzzerd, TeeNTee314 and other realtime speedrunners) do a lot more crazy things than we, TASers… I can’t imagine how you do all those stuff in real time. (upd) and this one is great too, I never played that game, but I love it’s TAS by sparky. So amazing to see TASing tricks done in real time :) shooting to music at ~35:30 reminds me of the TAS :)