It all started innocently enough with a funny idea in the forum. One thing lead to another and here it is.
This SMV will successfully play and beat both Mega Man X and Mega Man X2 in a reasonably fast manner. The rerecord count is probably slightly inflated because the emulator loved to desync on me.
Both games:
  • Does NOT aim for fastest time. Given the choice between showing off a bug and doing something as quickly as possible, I'll show the bug.
  • Finish both games at the same time. I succeed to within a 1 frame margin of error.
  • No death
  • Does NOT manipulate luck. Consider the Storm Eagle battles to be textbook examples of why anyone should use luck manipulation during a TAS.
X1:
  • Only takes necessary damage during the battle with Chill Penguin in order to make him attack the nearest wall rather than me.
  • Collects all capsule upgrades except the hadoken. Collects whatever heart tanks and sub tanks I feel are appropriate.
X2:
  • 100% run, mostly inspired by Blechy's run. Also gets Zero's parts.
  • Zero/Shouruken bug executed. Severe sigma taunting results.
  • Takes damage to save time, or where it otherwise would adversely affect X1.
Use Snes9x 1.43 FINAL for playback.
Making this movie wasn't as hard as I thought. Some source editting to snes9x to accept "joystick" input from a non-joystick source was the key to making the movie. The other issue was adding Frame Advance, Save State, Load State, and Next/Prev State to joypad buttons and analog sticks.
Using tee to split the real joypad input into two emulators, the rest fell into place. To guarantee emulator sync, the movie had to be constructed entirely using Frame Advance with a low CPU load (or snes9x running at SCHED_ISO priority).
As a final note, if you want to see both games side-by-side, I'm making an MKV available for bittorrent download. This is NOT to be considered the published movie - the quality is significantly lower, but still viewable. Clicky!

My SMV cleaner ate the last frame from the SMV. As a result, X1 will end playback with the last dialog box stuck on-screen. My bad.

Bisqwit: Replaced submission file with the updated one. This extends the movie's length by 1 frame, but will still read as 41:41. Let this be a lesson to DeHackEd.

Post-Publishing Comments

Here's a short list of tricks I used to abuse the games
  • There are times when the game will ignore certain buttons. Pressing Dash in the air without a usable midair dash will be ignored. Most motion will be ignored when firing the double X-Buster. Wall climbing ignores some frames as X kicks against the wall.
  • If one game lags, it ignores some input frames (usually 1)
  • When you slide down a wall, you face in the opposite direction of the button you hold to cling to the wall. If you release all directional buttons at this time, you will fall down with your back to the wall. This can be used to get X facing in oppositie directions.
  • X1 can switch weapons using L and R during some cutscenes, but X2 can only switch when you have full control of X.
  • You can't switch weapons if there are outstanding shots on screen. This includes some hit sprites and explosions.
There is a new bug list in the forum thread for this submission on the second page.

Former player
I still have no idea how you pulled that off. Everything fit together so nicely. Movie equals Very Yes.
Editor, Active player (296)
This movie will of course be published, but I hope that Dehacked does the AVI encoding, because I don't yet have tools to do it for dual movies. However, for creating the movie entry on the website, my help is needed because this one breaks the regular format.
Fihlvein
He/Him
Dehacked: When I try to download your torrent I get the message: "Rejected by tracker: Illegal client. Access Denied." I'm using the official release of BitTorrent: is this one banned also, huh?
ventuz
He/Him
Player (123)
not knowing how to shrink down snes9x (it says maximized, even if i click that shrink icon, still maximized), trying to get torrent link going, it wont download, whats happening now? I really want to see =/ *edit, i figured it out, got the snes9x screen to resize and move around with right click, but the problem is my computer doesnt keep both snes9x in same speed anyway, i'll need to see movie output anyway =/, mkv, avi or whatever*
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
Tracker fixed for being over-sensetive. *kick* When playing back X1, make sure you're using version 1.1, and that you do NOT use WIP1 timing. Same with X2. That's what snes9x 1.43 FINAL means.
O_o Yees
<Neclea>Gavin Ward <Sprint>WHAT? WHERE? <oldskoolgamer101>What a stupid name! oldskoolgamer101 was kicked from # soniccenter by Sprint [ says you , kimpy ]
Here's my main bug list. It's everything I used which are not described on this site, with descriptions. Many of these have not be used in previous speedruns (though some information about them might be found by googling). Shoot while charging This can only be done during "cutscenes" during which you lose control of X, like boss entry scenes where their HP guage charges. Release Y during the cutscenes. The exact frame you gain control of X, press Y. During cutscenes when the music changes (boss entry -> boss battle), the game will hang for a moment extending the window for pressing Y. It's very doable on a console. The killzone This is the name I've taken to calling it. When fighting Agile, he produces very large energy waves as attacks. The projectile itself spawns very far away from Agile -- creating a gap large enough for X to fit his body! This trick works with other bosses. In my X1 speedrun, I jumped around a bit during the Flame Mammoth battle while he was shooting fire. I was trying to emphesize the killzone, but it probably never got noticed. Killing the serpent in Octopus' level This makes more sense if you watch this segment with layer 1 off. The miniboss is right at the bottom of the screen where I shoot the cyclone, and gets killed by it. Zero damage hit against Boomer Kuwanger's spikes I think the trick is to hit the wall in the air moving a relatively low speeds. To pull it off on a console, approach the wall without touching it, then start inching your way towards the wall. You'll reach a point where you can't move further right yet you don't take damage. Without pressing a direction, jump with B, and while in the air hit B again. If you make a mistake approaching the spikes and take damage (non-lethal), you can use your invulnerability to reach the far right of the wall, and then try jumping. Standing on spikes after Shouryukening Agile This is probably a combination of Shouryuken invulnerability and event invulnerability. If you miss, X will land and do his Shouryuken recovery, but die the moment you'd regain control. Moving before the refight of Overdrive Ostrich Just try moving. The Overdrive Ostrich will appear the moment you stop moving. Just holding RIGHT while you beam in will be enough to set it off. Glowing while Shouryukening Wheel Gator Mike Uyama (X1 console speedrun fame) introduced me to the "negative edge" trick. Rather than pressing Y to activate the Shouryuken, release it. The glowing means I can use the second shot from the X-Buster upgrade. Zero/Shouryuken glitch Perform the Shouryuken to get yourself in the center of the C4 Sword battle room, and you won't move to the left side of the screen like you should. When Zero punches a hole in the ground, you'll fall in with his dialog box open. Vile/Zero bug style, collide its closing with the opening of Sigma's dialog. You can move around while he charges. If you're Shouryukening when he finishes charging his HP, your attack is cut short but you're left in an invulnerability state and the colour palettes for your charged shots are screwed up. I think that about covers it. Edit: Rewording/grammar
Amazing simply amazing :D. One smv two games, both completed fast:)
The best time you have is the time you share with other people.
Nice. The only thing I would like to see is encoding the two in mono, then using the left speaker for MMX and the right for MMX2, that way I could play with the sound.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [380] SNES Mega Man X & X2 by DeHackEd in 41:41.43
Holy crap, this is the coolest time attack I've seen for a long time, perhaps even the best. Certainly the most gimmicky. Congrats, making that must have been really hard.
Simply beautiful. Brought a tear to my eye.
Really nice :) Just one question though, when you are just "wasting time" on X1, isn't that enough time to get the "Fireball" (dunno what it's real name is, but I call it "Fireball") power-up? EDIT: Nevermind me, the second I pressed the submit button I just remembered that you need all Heart and Sub Tanks to be able to get it.
/Ragowit, isn't that enough?
I haven't really played the X games much, so I have to ask: Is the time spend messing around in X1 really not enough time to have collected all the other items? I mean, does it really take that long to get them?
I admit that it's a tough call. The sub tanks I'm missing are from Spark Mandrill's level (short backtrack or changing the route) and Flame Mammoth's (after climbing the wall in the big room, head hard left). Let's say I didnt' do all that silly backtracking. I still need to revisit Chill Penguin's level for his heart tank (circular dependency of item collection) which is no short order. I need Storm Eagle's heart tank, which at the time I would reach it, would have thrown X2 directly onto spikes or into a cramped area; I'd need to find a way to protect X2 while I make a huge jump and not waste quite so much time getting back up the platforms. I need Launch Octopus' heart tank which is out of the way. By the time I reach Boomer Kuwanger's heart tank, who knows where X2 would be. Actually collecting the Hadoken requires 4 suicides in a giant pit, so I'd need at least 4 lives (not a problem with the 1up-spewing bat), and riding the minecart has a set of motion laws all its own. That silly walking-off-the-edge gag won't work the whole time. The increased life meter means Vile has to smack me around longer during Sigma 1. In exchange, I take about 10 seconds off of most boss battles. The major exceptions are Rangda Bangda, Bospider (MASSIVE savings here), Sting Chameleon (making him come to ground level is unlikely, and also slow) and Final Sigma (immune to Hadoken). Is it worth it? At the time, I felt the answer was no.
Holy moly, that was awesome.
My favorite part was the final Sigma battle, though X2 had it easy then. :) People have already said to do all three X games. How about throwing a dissimilar game into the mix like super mario world? My screen is demanding some 4-way split screen action :)
This signature is much better than its previous version.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
We want 6 way split action. Megaman X Megaman X2 Megaman X3 Megaman 7 Super Metroid Super Mario World
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Player (84)
Thats a little too much there.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Perhaps, but I'm sure most of us would rather see a quad Megaman run, than a quad run with only 3 Megaman games and something totally different. DeHackEd is also a Megaman fan, so it's his decision, and he probably will do Megaman only. BTW, is now a bad time to suggest all 5 of the Megaman platform games for the SNES?
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Star? Getting the Hadoken would be hardcore. I had my hopes all up when he went back to Chill Penguin's stage. Is there any way to get the heart tank in Boomer Kuwanger's stage without using Boomer Kuwanger's weapon? If not, that might completely dash any hopes of seeing a Hadoken-Shoryuken run. You'd have to play almost the entire level over again.
Emulator Coder
Booda wrote:
Star?
That's an insult, it needs two stars.
Booda wrote:
Star? Getting the Hadoken would be hardcore. I had my hopes all up when he went back to Chill Penguin's stage. Is there any way to get the heart tank in Boomer Kuwanger's stage without using Boomer Kuwanger's weapon? If not, that might completely dash any hopes of seeing a Hadoken-Shoryuken run. You'd have to play almost the entire level over again.
I got it once with a trainer on the PC version. It'd take some mighty glitching to get it. I think I ALMOST got it ONCE on the PC version by using the glitch that let's you jump-dash off a wall and get some pretty good distance.
Overchare the Shotgun Ice and use the sled to climb up.
Nach wrote:
Perhaps, but I'm sure most of us would rather see a quad Megaman run, than a quad run with only 3 Megaman games and something totally different. DeHackEd is also a Megaman fan, so it's his decision, and he probably will do Megaman only. BTW, is now a bad time to suggest all 5 of the Megaman platform games for the SNES?
Personally I think seeing something involving multiple popular games with radically different gameplay would be a greater display of mastery. But yeah how about seeing X1 X2 X3 all beaten with hadoken, shoryuken, and gold armor+z-sabre :) There is no ceiling now to difficulty in this new "genre".
This signature is much better than its previous version.