Post subject: Frankenstein - The Monster Returns
Hi, I'm completely new to tool-assisted speedruns but it seems interesting. I was wondering if this game was TAS-worthy? I played the first level couple of times - tried without a weapon and with one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZouKCD20n0 What do you think? Should I keep playing this game which many also find bad and maybe boring? (I think its OK.)
Experienced player (699)
Looked alright. I'd like to see a bit more of the game though. I say keep TASing it, if it seems too boring after a while, just quit it. That happened when I tried TASing a few games. I realized there would be no way the runs would even get accepted. Who knows, maybe you'll find something interesting to exploit. :) EDIT: Oh, and after the first battle scene I THINK you could save a few frames by not walking directly up against the right side of the screen. Instead, walk left for a bit, then walk rightward at full speed (and get to the very edge of the screen right when it starts scrolling). I'm bad at explaining. Watch what i do in my TAS after the first battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh1f1HJuFME But definitely keep up with this!
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
andrewg wrote:
Looked alright. I'd like to see a bit more of the game though. I say keep TASing it, if it seems too boring after a while, just quit it. That happened when I tried TASing a few games. I realized there would be no way the runs would even get accepted. Who knows, maybe you'll find something interesting to exploit. :) EDIT: Oh, and after the first battle scene I THINK you could save a few frames by not walking directly up against the right side of the screen. Instead, walk left for a bit, then walk rightward at full speed (and get to the very edge of the screen right when it starts scrolling). I'm bad at explaining. Watch what i do in my TAS after the first battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh1f1HJuFME But definitely keep up with this!
Thanks for the advice. Yeah as I said I'm new to speedrunning so I don't really know the tricks. The thing I think sucks in this game is that you can't skip the cutscenes where bosses and Frankenstein boast about how great they are and how I have no chance of winning.
I'd like to see a TAS of this myself. It's one of the games the Angry Video Game Nerd reviewed during Halloween time a couple years back. And the video looks pretty well done to me thus far.
Experienced player (699)
Kitsune wrote:
I'd like to see a TAS of this myself. It's one of the games the Angry Video Game Nerd reviewed during Halloween time a couple years back. And the video looks pretty well done to me thus far.
Yea, I'd like to see more of this TAS too. Oh, I never saw that episode. I'll have to check it out.
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
I figured out that you can attack almost all the main bosses once before they start their speech. Got through the second level without picking the shootable fire weapon and tomorrow I'll try it with the weapon. I think the medusa boss will be faster with it. Maybe I'll upload some more video of my gameplay tomorrow also.
Poka wrote:
I figured out that you can attack almost all the main bosses once before they start their speech. Got through the second level without picking the shootable fire weapon and tomorrow I'll try it with the weapon. I think the medusa boss will be faster with it. Maybe I'll upload some more video of my gameplay tomorrow also.
Okay here are the first two levels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmT1vkgudw
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
I've made a quick TAS for fun of this game in 11:34. Link to video Input File (Bizhawk 1.7.4, QuickNes core.) I was on the edge about submitting this, but decided against it. The run's not entertaining enough for moons, and not well optimized enough for vaults, leaving it in the stateless limbo where it's only good as reference for a future improvement. Tricks used: 1.Double hit: With projectile weapons, you can make both the projectile and your weapon hit at the boss at the same time for extra damge. 2.Kicks do extra damage with precise positioning. Abusing both of these allow for the bosses to go down reasonably fast. Other than that, there's some small assorted tricks, but they don't really save any time. Despite all of this, the game's still a pretty slow slog. Better understanding of the game's randomness and more optimization will probably end up saving a few seconds. Also, here's some useful RAM addresses: 0085: Character X 0086: Character X 2nd byte 0089: Camera X 0087: Character Y 0607: Boss Health 0627: Frank's Head Health Enjoy or whatever.
Experienced player (703)
scrimpeh wrote:
I've made a quick TAS for fun of this game in 11:34.
37k rerecords *get in fetal position*
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand