Former player
Masterjun wrote:
I like the current avatars.
ALAKTORN wrote:
They look like robots. Fits perfectly. You don’t need to know shit about the game to like them.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Post subject: no surprises here!
Former player
I think the avatars should be the various colors that you can color a dinosaur.
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
Former player
I took the liberty of designing a new avatar for TASVideoAgent. Here it is: . Here's a smaller version: .
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
^Perfect.
Post subject: Agent means...
Editor, Active player (296)
Now comes the story for the part "Agent" in TASVideoAgent's name. In 2000 or so when I networked my IRC bot, BisqBot, and gave regular IRC clients such as my own the possibility to deliver BisqBot's administrative actions, I began calling these regular IRC clients as "agents". Merriam-webster defines "agent" as "a person who acts on behalf of another", which is exactly what my IRC clients did. They acted on behalf of BisqBot. There were maybe five or eight at best, with half of them as attended regular IRC sessions and half of them unattended, "bots", despite containing with no other "bot" functionality in themselves than the agent script. These administrative actions that BisqBot would deliver would be things like opping and banning, which are bandwidth-limited per client in IRC. Delivering 10 actions through 3 outlets is faster than delivering them through 1 outlet. IRC was quite more hectic those days than it is today, and such architecture ended up being necessary at times. As people do know who talked on #nesvideos when the channel was still #nesvideos, BisqBot could sometimes respond queries asked on a channel even though he was not present himself. That's because the agent network delivered the queries to the robot, and the agent network delivered BisqBot's replies back to the channel, or privately to the person asking, through one of the agents. Similarly, he can still respond to .seen queries pertaining to events on #tasvideos, even when he's not on the channel, observing those events. The only reason it's possible is because I am still there, and my IRC client is still an agent of BisqBot. Almost precisely 11 years ago, I added a special IRC client on #nesvideos. The purpose of this IRC client was specifically to announce certain actions that happen on the NESVideos website. It was another unattended client, a finger of BisqBot. It was called NesVideoAgent. Like any other agent, NesVideoAgent contained no special code in itself. Rather, BisqBot was running a special script that read messages through a file, into which the PHP software running on the forums and website would write. Whenever something was written into that file, BisqBot would send a command for NesVideoAgent to announce that message on #nesvideos. In the event that NesVideoAgent could not be reached through the agent network, the message would be delivered through another agent, which would be either me, Bisqwit, or BisqBot himself. Eventually NesVideos was renamed into TASVideos, but NesVideoAgent's name stuck. In 2009 when the site was transferred into USA as the site's ownership changed, NesVideoAgent was shut down, and replaced with another bot, designed completely from scratch, without any involvement to BisqBot. In honor of a tradition, this bot was called TASVideoAgent, and it also adopted NesVideoAgent's forum account. And now you know.
Thanks for sharing that little slice of history, Bisqwit. It's often interesting to hear how things came to be.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Derakon wrote:
It's often interesting to hear how things came to be.
That's why I read the Bible every day.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Aqfaq wrote:
Derakon wrote:
It's often interesting to hear how things came to be.
That's why I read the Bible every day.
Because you can't finally learn its events?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Banned User, Former player
Maybe those pieces of history could be put into the wiki somewhere, for posterity, rather than being only buried deep inside the forum?
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Warp wrote:
Maybe those pieces of history could be put into the wiki somewhere, for posterity, rather than being only buried deep inside the forum?
Done! http://tasvideos.org/NesVideoAgent.html It now only lacks the avatar that was there.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
This avatar is a particular good argument for switching to APNG, webm etc.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
adelikat.tasvideos.org!
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.