A brief run-through of the classic Japanese Strategy game, Nobunaga's Ambition

Game objectives

• 17 Fiefs
  • 25 Seasons
  • No Wars!
  • Emulator used: BizHawk 1.10.1

Comments

This is my third submission of a Nobunaga's Ambition TAS. (Here is my first) (Here is my second)
This TAS improved upon my previous techniques and used granting to move through the game at a lightening pace. As requested, I tightened the inputs as much as possible, with a special note below, and rounded up or down numbers to reduce the number of inputs. Finally, I added subtitles to the top of the video to aid in understanding why each move was made.
Most of this TAS is about getting Assassination Power, or AP, as I call it. AP is the sum of a lord's Char and IQ, and must be greater than then enemy's for a successful assassination.
In the stats screen, I spend about 200 frames maximizing Char and IQ. This is far more efficient than using seasons (~800 frames each) later on to increase AP.
Luck is the next most important stat, as it must be greater than the enemy's luck-30. Health and Drive affect random events and AI, but only if they are low.
Fortunately, the random numbers are essentially sequential, so getting higher values for the first 3 stats did not affect the time to first turn at all.
However, I found doing this stat selection resulted in animated opening events, namely Fief 1 having a revolt, which takes a lot of time and occurs before I can turn off the animations. I found that the RNG is directly manipulated by waiting extra frames at the first button press (around frame 14). Waiting 2 frames at the beginning entirely prevented any opening events, saving over 800 frames, and sped the stat selection tremendously.
Most of my actions are straight-forward: assassinate when able, move men to the front, and keep the lord's fief filled with gold for bids. Sometimes, however, I had to make unusual moves to manipulate the RNG, such as moving 1 man so an assassination would happen faster, or waiting to assassinate until later to prevent counter attacks and manipulate AI behavior.
The most noticeable and slowest oddity was not granting Fiefs 13 and 12 when building to assassinate Fief 5 and 9. This was because granting them did not raise AP as quickly as doing it manually, and caused Luck to plummet as to prevent assassinations. Other permutations of granting and un-granting fiefs had similar affects to Luck and were slower.
Another was the no-bid on Fief 4. This was done because bids only occur when two or more lords can bid on the fief, and would have caused two battles to have been fought instead of one.
I was happy to discover the final move of granting a fief to military to prevent the final war, which saves 3 minutes or so. I tried to use the tactic earlier, but found it took longer to move men into position and then grant the fief to attack than to just build up AP and assassinate them.

Possible Improvements

Honestly, there isn't much left. This particular run might be faster with other permutations of turns to avoid some of the RNG manipulation moves, but I was unable to find them despite my best efforts.
Also I searched through permutations of the stats selection and opening frames, and found over 300 other combinations with similar “frames to first turn” values. I imagine some of them would yield faster solutions.
There is still the 50-fief version to go!

ars4326: Claimed for judging!
ars4326: Updated movie file. Previous time: 12:06.57 (43,666 frames). Current time: 12:06.37 (43,654 frames).
ars4326: Hello again, CogneatoSwitch. As already expressed by fellow forum members in the thread, outstanding job on coming back to this run and implementing some major improvements (especially in input optimizations)! The Fief granting strategy you mentioned in the prior submission really made a substantial difference here, also. And despite being a bit limited on entertainment value, it is certainly now publish-worthy. Congrats on your first published run!
Accepting for publication to the Vault!
Spikestuff: Publishing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4822: CogneatoSwitch's NES Nobunaga's Ambition in 12:06.37
Elipsis
He/Him
This is such a huge improvement over your first effort. I'm glad you stuck with this.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Oh cool, subs that explain what's going on. I noticed something within the input, I'll patch it up for you in a bit. Anyways, much, much better with the input this time. There we go. I'll publish this one when it gets Accepted. Anyways, creating a temp encode. Link to video
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (23)
Thank you for trimming the ending. I had left those frames in because the final "Thanks for playing" took a few frames to show up, which you included in the encoded video. I'm glad you like the subtitles! I spent 3 evenings upgrading my scripts to include a subtitle output so you can actually watch the granted fiefs increase the AP and compare it to the next target Fief. I'm so happy it's done! Now I just hope it gets accepted.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Another 10 minutes saved? Wow! Watching the encode, it's clear that you've put a lot more time and effort into the run this time around. The strategy, while... confusing, to say the least (haven't watched with the subtitles yet, though I plan to), is quite effective. I'm glad you kept at this! Your effort has definitely paid off in a publishable run.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Just fantastic work, CS. Congrats on what you've accomplished!
Very nice. Easy yes. Now get to work on Genghis Khan and Gemfire. :-D
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
CognetoSwitch, I've gotta go ahead and state here that you did an outstanding job in going back through your run and implementing these major time-saving changes (optimizations, strategies, etc.). This run is certainly publish-worthy. Which brings me to some additional feedback that I wanted to get in this thread before making an official judgment: Considering the fact that the sound is muted throughout, what do you all think about the run's entertainment value? Voter feedback (as of this post) is unanimously positive, as well.
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Skilled player (1404)
ars4326 wrote:
Considering the fact that the sound is muted throughout, what do you all think about the run's entertainment value? Voter feedback (as of this post) is unanimously positive, as well.
I greatly applaud the author's improvements and refinements in the crafting of this movie, but frankly, twelve minutes of "menus menus menus" cannot possibly hope to hold my interest, whether or not there is music. Certainly Vault material.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2952] NES Nobunaga's Ambition by CogneatoSwitch in 12:06.37