Game objectives

• Aims for fastest time
  • Uses hardest difficulty
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death to save time
  • 2 players

About the run

Saving Frames : at least as possible:
  1. jumping : at some points jumping at the same time with both characters makes the game run slower
  2. hitting : I saved lot of time especially in the water levels by avoiding the fishes instead of beating them
  3. collecting stars : stars extended the counting process at the end of the levels
  4. hard punch from aterix: the hard punch from obelix is faster than asterix, so I used his punch as much I could instead of asterix

Improvements (1111 Frames)

1. The Village : running the second part at the upper path
  2. The Crossing : another method to jump faster over the rocks in the water
  3. The Cliff : optimize the jumping
  4. Countryside: no improvement
  5. London: no improvement
  6. London Tower: manipulate the last rugby player to be in the first cell of the top floor
  7. Rugby: optimize the kicking
  8. Swiss Frontier: no improvement
  9. The Lake: ducking instead of beating the eagles
  10. The Mountains: jumping not to high at the second jump-point and running at the lower path
  11. The Bank: using Obelix in the first room, manipulate the swing thing in the second room and using Obelix after the last ladder
  12. Piraeus: no improvement
  13. Countryside: no improvement
  14. Olympia: optimize the counting process
  15. The Games: using the fastest way (run ahead, run alongside or at the last moment) in each run with both characters, in every run was another method the fastest, not throwing the javelin is the fastest way and it is not necessary to win
  16. The Desert: using the magic potion with Obelix to avoid to be hit by the little stones and insects
  17. The Nile: optimize the counting process
  18. Desert Camp: optimize some punching parts
  19. The Palace: optimize the jumping and punching
  20. The Pirate Ship: no improvement
  21. The Pyrenees: killing Obelix at the point where Asterix can jump the rest of the stage because Obelix can´t appear while Asterix jumps all the time, so jumping with Asterix was faster than running with Obelix
  22. The Roman Camp: no improvement
  23. The Bullfight: normally the bull need 754 Frames to run from one side to the other, but jumping at the precise moment a glitch let Obelix float out and the bull don´t hit him. The screen does not move anymore and the bull need 552 Frames to run from one side to the other. Killing Asterix avoid a full bull run over the 754 Frames

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Setting to delayed, pending improvements being worked on.
Noxxa: Replaced movie file with an 1111-frame improvement, and reclaiming for judgment.
Noxxa: Good viewer response. Accepting to Moons.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5496: gordonX's SNES Astérix & Obélix "2 players" in 31:52.75
Experienced player (948)
hi, Playing this game with 2 players is more faster than a single player mode? I don't know if it's possible but maybe when you play those sports games in single player mode, you can won time in played just one character? You will done more entertainment with the javelin and the running if you finish just before your opponents. Sorry, it's just my opinion, not for destroy your run!
GAW sms... Totally destroyed
Former player
This game has a style that feels very close to the comics, I like it. I only ever played the GBC version, which has the same basic concept, but is a different game (also, it doesn't include Egypt). I don't know if using 2 players is faster or slower, but it did make the run more entertaining, in my opinion. Overall, I'll give this TAS a yes vote! I only have some questions about the Tower of London part: In the GBC version I'm familiar with, you never have to break all the doors of a floor and a TAS would just break the ones with the rugby players inside. This seems to work the same way here, but you still break all the doors (ignore me if breaking the extra doors wastes no frames). Also, was it not possible to manipulate the last rugby player to be in the first cell of the top floor?
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Player (136)
This looked quite optimized. It is significantly longer than the GBA version of this game, but there are many important differences between those versions, including damage physics and much better sound. Not sure how much can be done about the lag. Somewhat sad that the all these sports have to be done multiple times. I'll give it a yes. I would like to see a 2 players 100% (+ maybe maximum kills) TAS of this game, which also clears all the bonus rooms. This would also force the two players to use very different paths most of the time.
gordonX
He/Him
Player (35)
At first, thanks for the yes votes :) @zoboner: The single player mode is significantly faster, because of the summer sports games. In the single mode you only need to run 9 times for all disciplines, but with 2 player you need to run 12 times, so there is a lot of loss of time. I also made a single player run, but in my opinion the 2 player run is more entertaining and harder :)
You will done more entertainment with the javelin and the running if you finish just before your opponents.
Ok, I tried it and its not only more entertainment, I also save frames :/ perhaps because of luck manipulation. It looks like that I should optimize that part. I never thought that, thanks :) @andypanther
but you still break all the doors
I saw the GBA run and tried it, but in the Super NES version its unfortunately not possible, it would definitely save time but if you don't open all doors in a floor you can't go to the next floor.
Also, was it not possible to manipulate the last rugby player to be in the first cell of the top floor?
It is possible and I tried a lot that it happens, but that one time it happens a lot of other parts in the game changed. The end result was, that I lost more frames at the rest of the game instead of the manipulation of the last rugby player. But I need to optimized the sport games, so I will try that manipulation again :) I hope I can just change my submission :/ @partyboy1a I would also like to see a 2 players 100% run. At youtube exists a part from the first world and it looks interesting.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
gordonX wrote:
But I need to optimized the sport games, so I will try that manipulation again :) I hope I can just change my submission :/
Let me know when you finish this, and I can update the submission for you with the new version. I will set this submission to delayed for the duration.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Player (136)
nice improvements!
Experienced player (948)
very nice improvements, yes vote.
GAW sms... Totally destroyed
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3412] SNES Astérix & Obélix "2 players" by gordonX in 31:52.75