Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
Link to video Why not?
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
Tompa wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5T166wc16A Why not?
Sweet, I dig this.
XkyRauh
He/Him
There was a Game Genie code that let you grab white blocks out of mid-air on every level, but it always crashed on Level 1-6 because of the moving platforms... I wonder if there's a way to do a run of THAT one! Haha
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
Would it be possible to do it on SMAS with uninitialized RAM without cheat codes?
Tompa
Any
You could do it in the All-Stars version simply by starting from a save file that has a frog suit in the inventory.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
Tompa wrote:
https://youtu.be/Z4fdjU_2vyc
Sick! I found the pyramid level to be especially entertaining with the frog suit. Also, what's that glitch at the end of the airship?
Tompa
Any
Tompa
Any
Link to video Edit: And World 5 while at it. Link to video
Tompa
Any
The silly TAS is now finished. Game-only will be uploaded tomorrow, here's the streamed version with commentary. Audio issues for unknown reasons caused bad quality, whatever. Link to video
So I am new to TASing and would like to cut my teeth on making a "no touch challenge" one inspired by the Game Grumps's recent playthough. Is there a particular version of the game that is optimal for TASing (JP vs US vs EU) and/or any information on making optimal TAS of Mario 3?
Tompa
Any
The fastest version is the standard US version, PRG0 or PRG1. The JP version has longer loading times for each level, making it a lot slower. And PAL runs at a lower framerate and is generally bad. There is some general information about the game found here: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/SuperMarioBros3.html Though some of the things are not up to date and a lot of info is lacking. In general, there isn't really a lot of explanations on how to TAS it optimally... I've been TASing the game for many years now, and still does on a daily basis. I guess I could produce some kind of TASing guide for the game, if I'm not lazy enough... I could however assist in various questions and such. A good place to start is to watch the current TASes of the game and try to replicate what you see to get a feel of it.
Post subject: Super Mario Bros. 3 Still working
Evan0512
He/Him
I had fixed some of the computers to make Super Mario Bros. 3. Thanks, I will make a movie of Super Mario Bros. 3, it was my first video. I do not want to glitch, so I will do 100% by at least 1:30:00. tasvideos.org/2835M.html I will do that. I will not do heavy glitch abuse and heavy luck manipulation. I will map the level and the level was not glitched.
Planned runs: Marble Madness (Arcade, Genesis J, GG/SMS) Proposed: Ecco the Dolphin (Genesis, GG/SMS, CD: regular, camera freeze) Ecco: The Tides of Time (Genesis, GG/SMS, CD; normal mode) Mario Kart DS (all cups, all missions) In progress: Grand Poo World 3 (all exits hard mode)
Is there a guide/info on how to manipulate hammer brother movement? I am trying to avoid them entirely.
Active player (463)
as far as i know is hammer movement RNG so just tryout some button presses before you finished the level and see what the outcome is.
2-do: Smurfs Nightmare, The (EU) GBC 10% fin : Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge improvement: submitted Mega Man II Improvement: submitted Mega Man IV Improvement: submitted Mega Man V Improvement: submitted future plan: -n-
Tompa
Any
I recently finished a TAS of romhack called The Final Kaizo. Here's the result: Link to video A run with commentary will soon be put up on Youtube by MitchFlowerPower, the person who made this hack. I'll edit the post once it is up. Live stream version with commentary: Link to video
Active player (463)
sick TAS tompa! :)
2-do: Smurfs Nightmare, The (EU) GBC 10% fin : Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge improvement: submitted Mega Man II Improvement: submitted Mega Man IV Improvement: submitted Mega Man V Improvement: submitted future plan: -n-
I improved 3 frames with 1-3, but after the fortress it looks desync with a simple TAS Editor movie editing. If we can save 3 frames up to 7-1 this will be an update plan. fm2
Tompa
Any
That is GREAT! I'm surprised I never thought of that, even though I have some memory that I tried it... I don't really care much for the glitched run, I know frames can be saved in 7-1 anyway. What I'm happy about is that this will finally make it possible to bypass the 14 frames needed to get the next good Boomerang Bro pattern in 8-Tank. This means that the Any% No Wrong Warp / "Warps" run will be 14 frames ahead after 8-Tank. Another three frames will be needed up to the Bowser fight. I do believe I found improvements to 8-1 and/or 8-2, so it will come down to how long it takes to manipulate the hands... I got work to do! Thanks, RAT926!
Post subject: New Super Mario Bros. 3 movie
Evan0512
He/Him
Please publish the 100% movie soon!
Planned runs: Marble Madness (Arcade, Genesis J, GG/SMS) Proposed: Ecco the Dolphin (Genesis, GG/SMS, CD: regular, camera freeze) Ecco: The Tides of Time (Genesis, GG/SMS, CD; normal mode) Mario Kart DS (all cups, all missions) In progress: Grand Poo World 3 (all exits hard mode)
Post subject: Movie comparison (NO GLITCHES)
Evan0512
He/Him
1-3 was further improved by 1 frame, and the world record of 2 frames was achieved overall. fm2 EDIT:A little more optimization made it possible to improve 5 frames. fm2 And another possibility of corner boosting was discovered in a new way. This may be useful somewhere. https://i.imgur.com/IdmbhB0.gif
Tompa
Any
I've known about that corner boost for quite some time. It's also used in both the warpless and 100% TASes a couple of times, not as much as it could have had however. Nice to see that another frame was saved in 1-3, as that was enough to get good HB RNG again. Evan: The 100% TAS has been published already. In fact, you even linked the publication there... I don't see the point of the "Longplay" you linked however, as it's just a basic playthrough and serves no purpose on this site.
Post subject: I don't know how
Evan0512
He/Him
I don't know how to wall jump.
Post subject: Re: I don't know how
Evan0512 wrote:
I don't know how to wall jump.
You can find that and many more useful tricks from SMB3 Resource page