Introduction

After working on this project a long time in January, and then taking a very, very long break, then getting back to the project literally today, working on it super hard all day, and finally finishing it up, I proudly present to you my TAS of "The Morning Adventure" for the Game Boy Advance. Though the game is, admittedly, not great...no, that's an overstatement. It's horrible. Though the game is horrible, especially for casual play, not to mention the never-ending level music, I found that the game really has a lot of interesting run strats and glitches. I usually deal with games that are bad or at least perceived as bad by the general public anyway, but I just found this particular game to actually have some potential for entertainment to viewers. Plus, the game is very short, which is a big plus.
(If you think YOU'RE sick of the same song playing over and over horribly throughout 90% of the run, just think about how I, the TASer, must feel...)

Movie information

• Time: 8:14.26
  • Frames: 29521
  • Rerecords: 6129

Goals

• Any% completion
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Genre: Platformer
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Eats more than a hundred tacos and Mañanitos

Ending

The run ends the frame when the last menu image of the credits is skipped (the one about McCann etc.) I decided to make this the ending, since I wanted to show off the Mañanito animation glitch at the end and because people can't see the full credits if the run ends the frame when the boss battle is over. People can always pause the game at each menu picture at the end if they want to read it.

Suggested description

Something along the lines of...
The Morning Adventure is an extremely rare Spanish video game that was advertisement for a snack food product in Spain known as Mañanitos which was manufactured by the company Bollycao, which is today no longer manufactured. The game entails the adventures of the product's mascot, "Mañanito Boy", through his home, the city, and his school. Ready Steady Yeti completes these adventures in just over 8 minutes, including the use of several minor-glitch shortcuts and the use of the Mañanitos, the sacred food, to increase his speed and jump height for limited periods.

Suggested screenshots

Frame: About 7851
Frame: About 14258

About this game

I feel I should explain a full answer to the question "What is this game?" since this game is so rare and so poorly marketed and more unheard-of than any actually licensed game I've ever seen. Though licensed by Nintendo, and yes, was an actual GBA cartridge, the game never actually left Spain. This is because the game is actually an advertisement for the Spanish snack food product known as "Mañanitos", which is no longer manufactured. Those of you from Spain MAY have heard of it.
  • [dead link removed]
The above link is an example of a snack food package containing a Mañanito (an invented diminutive of "mañana", the word for "morning"). I think it's some sort of biscuit or something. I believe it was somewhat popular in Spain throughout the 2000s (decade).
It continues to surprise me, and others too, that this actually became a GBA game. I mean, MCDONALD'S didn't get a GBA game, but somehow Mañanitos did.
Because the game never left Spain, the game only provides text in the Spanish language. There really isn't much text, and the stuff they say is pretty simple really, so it's easy to translate. Because it's a game solely meant to advertise for a food product, obviously it was rushed and wasn't very well done.

Gameplay

So, now I'll tell you about casual gameplay. There are 6 levels: 1.) Wake up your two siblings, 2.) Get the milk and the cereal into the kitchen shelves, 3.) Go through the city, 4.) Go through the school, 5.) Side-scroller level, ride your skateboard and dodge all those jerks in your way. 6.) Beat the giant boss battle, who is (apparently) a buff teenager who throws basketballs at you.
The game is a platformer, as mentioned above, with the exception of the side-scroller level. You can run left or right and jump, normally, in the platformer levels.
When you take damage, you are bounced back slightly. The number on the top left HUD represents how many lives you have left, and the hourglasses represent your health (out of 3). Throughout the entire run, death is never necessary, but I do get one-ups just for kicks.
Items in the game... There are tacos like everywhere (hey, if they're not tacos, I'm just saying what they look like!). Each time you collect 100 tacos, you get an extra life. The Mañanitos (the circular brown objects that kind of look like one of the fruits from Super Mario Sunshine) give you extra speed and extra jump height for a limited amount of time. If you hit an enemy or other damaging object, that limited time decreases greatly, but it does not damage your health. Two items that you pick up and lay down: the trampoline and the wooden board. The wooden board is intended to be used to increase your height so you can jump to higher spots when intended. The trampoline is intended to be bounced on, to get to really, really high locations. The trampolines suck.

Level-by-level, etc. commentary

Text and menuing

The only text in the game that can't be skipped are the first four menu screens (ending in Bit Management). After that, all the text and menuing can just be skipped, really easily. It doesn't need much explanation, really.

Wake up, sleepyheads!

The first level. The goal of the level is to go to the two rooms and wake up the two siblings (by moving up to the alarm clocks).
The way the first sibling in the run was INTENDED to be woken was by going all the way to a third room which isn't shown in this run, which has a wooden board. No Mañanitos in the first sibling's room, so you just have to use the wooden board to jump over that pile of blocks. IF you play it the intended way. I carry out a glitch that does take a bit of waiting around, but it does the trick. By bouncing off of the toy truck with just the right timing, I can jump over the block pile without the wooden board, keeping me from having to visit that extra room, saving a lot of time, like over 20 seconds possibly! That route is boss!
But still, why did the developers add CATS that you can KILL? I find this cruel, that I have to kill cats at times to save time. :( In the second level too.

Find the kitchen items

This took a lot of routing. I basically have to go out and grab each item individually and bring them back individually. I had to use the best route that would coordinate best with the enemies in different rooms (which is controlled by a thing similar to RNG; the enemies actually move while you're not even in the room they're in! What an outrage!). That was horrible to test and route and shit. Glad it's finally over.
Why do I go to such length to jump those spiders up that hill? That's a skip glitch. I do that to skip having to go up and use the Mañanito on that high platform, saving many seconds. Secondly, to go down, I take advantage of the speed from the hill by jumping as far as I possibly can, right before that electric bolt.
RIP innocent cats.
In this level, I also do a glitch where I do a normal fall while also killing a blimp.

The city

I use a glitch to use a bee to get up the large concrete platform, rather than waiting to use the balloons as intended. I had to run only to certain screen positions to make sure the height the bee changed to horizontal was enough to bounce on it. Took a lot of work to get this right.
This level is the first time the wooden boards appear, and the first time I use a glitch with them. Now I will admit I didn't discover this glitch; I found it in a longplay linked below. (Why they used the glitch in a LP I don't even know.) Basically, the frame before jumping off the wooden board, you press B so you can collect it while jumping in midair. This glitch causes sequence breaking in many parts of the run.
First, I use this glitch to get on top of the stop sign faster WITH the board so that I can then use the board to get to the Mañanito. But I then collect the wooden board yet again to use to get to the falling balloons far faster than intended. Fun.

School

The second room took a LOT of damage routing. You know, with all those gas leaks? Just saying.
I used the wooden board glitch yet again in this room to get to the Mañanito while still holding the board, getting back to the door faster.
After that gas leak room, I have to use the wooden board AND a Mañanito to get up the platform. I use the wooden board glitch here yet again. I had to test a lot to see what the best frame to drop the wooden board was. Meanwhile in this same room, I do another glitch just for kicks, because I can. I activate two of the bully enemy at the same time, clearly visible to viewers for like half a second. One is running away, and one is still there. This happens because I'm going too fast for the game to keep up with spots for the bully.
Now, in the gym, because of using the wooden board glitch, I don't have to go into the final room twice, the first time to get the wooden board in there. This saves a HECK of a lot of time. I just grab the Mañanito after setting the board down, so I can go up to the platform to get the trampoline.
Then go to the final room and use the trampoline as normal.

Side-scroller

The side-scroller physics are pretty different from the regular physics. You literally can't go any faster, any slower. I could have just kept taking damage and dying, and the side-scroller would've just kept moving. I didn't do this though, since I've been advised that "dying for entertainment" is not entertaining.
There's only one thing that you shouldn't do during the side-scroller in a speedrun at all costs; don't get a Mañanito. This is surprising, since in the platformer levels the Mañanitos are what give the player extra speed. Well it does give you speed in the side-scroller, but the speed is also useless since the side-scroller speed doesn't change. The problem with collecting a Mañanito is that, while the Mañanito collection animation happens, the side-scroller stops, which wastes time.
All of the enemies' locations are based on your locations at certain times.
No matter what, basically, don't collect Mañanitos, in my case don't take damage or die since that doesn't entertain viewers, and at the end of the side-scroller, make sure you are already all the way to the right side.

Final boss

There are several glitches you can use here, but I used the quickest and most efficient glitch. Basically, instead of collecting the Mañanitos and do simultaneous bounces on top of the basketballs thrown (like the developers intended), I use a glitch in which I jump on top of the boss's head right while he lands from jumping (but it has to be very precise). See, the developers didn't intend for you to get on top of his head without extra leverage, so this is indeed cool, and it allows for a MUCH faster defeat.
After the boss was defeated, I performed an entertainment glitch where I jump up adjacent the Mañanito above, and, while the concluding animation is going, the player actually gets into Mañanito mode. Pretty cool glitch.

Conclusion

I did enjoy creating this TAS, even though the game is not conventionally good. I actually stayed up all night tonight doing the latter half of the run, which explains my very tired and sort of rushed commentary. If you have questions for me, feel free to ask anywhere, including on TASVideos. I hope you enjoy my run, regardless of the quality of the game. It took a lot of work and testing, despite being such a short game.

feos: Replaced the movie with the one that cuts off the splash screens.
This is a nice movie, and a nice game, but the regular speed of the character ruins it for most of the viewers. And even though there are some cool tricks pulled off, since the game was only released in Spain, the majority of people haven't ever heard of it, so they won't notice these tricks, as they don't know how it's supposed to play normally. That also plays role in the lack of enjoyment, and the votes/posts showcase that.
Accepting for Vault.
Fog: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5618: Ready_Steady_Yeti's GBA The Morning Adventure in 08:13.02
Judge, Skilled player (1278)
This game turned out way worse than what I though. No vote. Sorry. By the way, apparently this game was only released in Spain. This makes it a rare game, so under some aspects, it could be considered an interesting title.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
I made it to the end of the video, so I give it a meh. It's not a good game by any stretch, but at least it's a novelty and a short movie. It's nice that you went out of your way to TAS this oddity, but I think the game makes for more of a vault submission.
Experienced player (947)
The character's speed is very slow but Ready Steady Yeti's make a good effort to finish this run quickly. It's a well opening to find the best possible improvements and make a perfect run. It's good for vault, so give my yes vote, because i'm a little entertained by the fact than the game is slow but that the run is short. It's a lukewarm yes.
GAW sms... Totally destroyed
Active player (434)
congrats for finishing such a horrible project
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Hopper262
He/They
The "tacos" are probably the Twinkie-like Bollycao snacks. Research indicates the brand's company was Panrico (now part of Bimbo). The "hourglasses" representing health look like milk bottles to me, especially the larger collectible sprites in the levels. Oh right, there's a TAS here too ;) I like obscure platformers, so it was fun for me personally, even if there's nothing terribly special about the game.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
In the youtube encode it looks like you loose a little bit of speed everytime you jump, and you collect what seems to be an unnecessary amount of these roll-looking thingies. Is that actually the case? Also, your life is measured in bottles (of milk?), not hourglasses. Looked decently well done, but there was no entertainment here for me. I voted no.
Editor, Player (120)
Warepire wrote:
In the youtube encode it looks like you loose a little bit of speed everytime you jump, and you collect what seems to be an unnecessary amount of these roll-looking thingies. Is that actually the case?
As far as jumping, no. Jumping and running have the same exact speed in any direction. You do not lose any frames from jumping alone, as with some other games I'm working with. If there was such a problem with jumping, I would mention it in the author's comments. Sabrina the Teenage Witch: Potion Commotion and Santa Claus Saves the Earth are examples of games where jumping while running is slightly slower than just running, but The Morning Adventure is not. It might've looked slower because admittedly the YouTube encode is total shit, and I can't wait until it gets an HD encode from a TASVideos encoder. As for the roll-looking things, they're like the coins in many 2-D Mario games, except they're like everywhere in the levels. They don't do anything for you as far as speed at all, but if they're in your way anyway they don't slow you down either, so I just collected extra ones sometimes because I could. Honestly, it's impossible not to collect those taco things, at least not without losing a lot of time in the process. If collecting extras made the run lose more entertainment value for you, I'm sorry, but there just wasn't much more for-kicks stuff to do in the run, so I sometimes just chose to collect, collect, collect. They're useful in casual gameplay because each time you collect 100 you get an extra life. I got 5 lives in this run, meaning I did that twice.
* http://tasvideos.org/ReadySteadyYeti.html - my user page on the TASVideos site * https://www.youtube.com/ReadySteadyYeti - my YouTube channel * My Discord username is "RSY#3799".
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Alright, thanks for the explanation.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
What is Mañanito animation glitch? If I end the movie at frame 29163, I still see the credits (and that's what I think should be the ending). What's after the credits if you press A looks like splash screens of the sponsors. I don't see any value in these screens, since they are (or some version of them is) already at the start of the game.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Editor, Player (120)
feos wrote:
What is Mañanito animation glitch? If I end the movie at frame 29163, I still see the credits (and that's what I think should be the ending). What's after the credits if you press A looks like splash screens of the sponsors. I don't see any value in these screens, since they are (or some version of them is) already at the start of the game.
The Mañanito animation glitch refers to the point at the end of the movie where I grab the Mañanito during the ending animation where the character does a victory jump, which I don't believe was intended to happen, so the Mañanito collection animation and the victory animation intertwine. I still want this to be in the movie, so can we just consider my ending best for the sake of the run please, or do I really have to go back and change that? (the end of the last A press to see The Morning Adventure's start screen again) Whether or some version of the same thing is at the beginning of the game too, the fact that it's different at the ending warrants it to be seen at the ending IMO, especially if there's such a good reason for it as I mentioned with the Mañanito animation glitch.
* http://tasvideos.org/ReadySteadyYeti.html - my user page on the TASVideos site * https://www.youtube.com/ReadySteadyYeti - my YouTube channel * My Discord username is "RSY#3799".
The main problem with these splash screens is that you skip the actual ending (credits) to show them once again. We don't want the credits to be skipped, because otherwise the viewer has a feeling that there's no real ending in the game, while there is. The second problem is that these screens are unrelated to the ending. They are the same 2 screens that are at the start, just grayed out. So they only mean that the game has been restarted. However, I think you might keep your final show-off, as the ending doesn't happen any sooner if you don't do it. Even the Vault allows speed/entertainemnt trade-offs (yet it doesn't quite like them). So I think you should stop the movie at the point where the bug you want to show happens with no further input, and let the game show the credits infinitely. The primary question about this run though, is it's tier. Personally, I like this game and think it's not bad at all. It has cool music, nice graphics, gameplay that forces you to move around and actually do stuff. I especially enjoyed the jumping combos. But that regular character speed... is just absurdly stupid. If he was moving like with that speedbooster item all the time, it'd be a clear moon. But for the entire run he always resets to the insanely slow pace once he leaves the room, and it constantly kills all the enjoyment. I had to vote Meh. Other voters mostly agree. Does anyone think this game is entertaining enough for moons?
So, since there are so many of them, please do me a huge favor and say something about the skips and glitches in your little note
We don't require the viewer to know the game. It happens all the time that those who know the game are greatly entertained by what happens in a TAS, and the unfamiliar people just don't get it. For example, I don't understand what's entertaining in RPGs or strategies, at all. But other people greatly enjoy them. The solution sometimes is the game's popularity. Popular games have higher chances to get better votes, because people know what's going on and enjoy that. This game was only released in Spain, so people barely know it. That means the majotity of its potential viewers have never heard of it. Hence, not knowing the internals, they won't be able to fully enjoy all the skips you've done. That leads to the feedback that's average or below average. We have to take feedback into account when we're considering a run for Moons, since the primary goal of the tier is to entertain. So it has to be subjective. And the global goal of the tiers is to promote. We usually don't promote what the majority of the viewers can't enjoy. Bottom line: while I find this game really nice, the normal running speed totally kills all the value it would have without it. I'm sad about it, no idea why they decided to slow him down that much. Certainly not the limitations, as there's a speedbooster, that works perfectly. Just a stupid decision of the developers.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Editor, Player (120)
feos wrote:
The main problem with these splash screens is that you skip the actual ending (credits) to show them once again. We don't want the credits to be skipped, because otherwise the viewer has a feeling that there's no real ending in the game, while there is. The second problem is that these screens are unrelated to the ending. They are the same 2 screens that are at the start, just grayed out. So they only mean that the game has been restarted. However, I think you might keep your final show-off, as the ending doesn't happen any sooner if you don't do it. Even the Vault allows speed/entertainemnt trade-offs (yet it doesn't quite like them). So I think you should stop the movie at the point where the bug you want to show happens with no further input, and let the game show the credits infinitely. The primary question about this run though, is it's tier. Personally, I like this game and think it's not bad at all. It has cool music, nice graphics, gameplay that forces you to move around and actually do stuff. I especially enjoyed the jumping combos. But that regular character speed... is just absurdly stupid. If he was moving like with that speedbooster item all the time, it'd be a clear moon. But for the entire run he always resets to the insanely slow pace once he leaves the room, and it constantly kills all the enjoyment. I had to vote Meh. Other voters mostly agree. Does anyone think this game is entertaining enough for moons?
So, since there are so many of them, please do me a huge favor and say something about the skips and glitches in your little note
We don't require the viewer to know the game. It happens all the time that those who know the game are greatly entertained by what happens in a TAS, and the unfamiliar people just don't get it. For example, I don't understand what's entertaining in RPGs or strategies, at all. But other people greatly enjoy them. The solution sometimes is the game's popularity. Popular games have higher chances to get better votes, because people know what's going on and enjoy that. This game was only released in Spain, so people barely know it. That means the majotity of its potential viewers have never heard of it. Hence, not knowing the internals, they won't be able to fully enjoy all the skips you've done. That leads to the feedback that's average or below average. We have to take feedback into account when we're considering a run for Moons, since the primary goal of the tier is to entertain. So it has to be subjective. And the global goal of the tiers is to promote. We usually don't promote what the majority of the viewers can't enjoy. Bottom line: while I find this game really nice, the normal running speed totally kills all the value it would have without it. I'm sad about it, no idea why they decided to slow him down that much. Certainly not the limitations, as there's a speedbooster, that works perfectly. Just a stupid decision of the developers.
Thank you, but see I don't like using speed/entertainment tradeoffs very much, personally. I would like to view it as an ending trick that doesn't affect speed at all. What if, instead of skipping the credits screen, we only skip the screen before it and let the last frame be the frame to skip the screen before credits? That way, people can see the credits, and I don't have to consider the ending glitch a S/ET? Is this compromise acceptable?
It won't necessarily be a trade off either way, as the ending is reached at the same time. I just think stopping the input as soon as you need to let the credits run is better, but that's personal preference, and you can have that A there that leads to the credits. Just let it be optimal.
Editor, Player (120)
http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/40837160150632707 Please delete the file afterwards. This is the new file. Please replace the old one on the submission with this one, and then please delete that "WIP" I just uploaded to the site afterwards.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3503] GBA The Morning Adventure by Ready Steady Yeti in 08:13.02
Editor, Player (120)
Now that this run has been published and I've seen all the feedback beforehand, I feel it's appropriate to give my opinion of the run. Though I am the author, I voted Yes. This is partially because I'm proud of this project and of the tricks/glitches it represents. I know that before I opposed the fact that a movie's author could vote on their own movie, but I've changed my mind and feel it is actually constructive, especially after their movie's publication. So I'm going to pretend that I never TASed this game in my life, and that I just played it a lot in my childhood or something and know a lot about it because of that. Okay, so, yes, the same music plays throughout 97% of the game. Yes, the character is slow a lot of times. Yes, the game was an advertisement for a product, literally, so that hints at the game's development value. But it's not all that bad. I've definitely seen far worse games than this, and, for an advertisement game, this is like gold compared to most of its sort. The casual gameplay is not incredibly annoying, the game is creative and there's a lot of exploration of different environments involved, and you are required to...you know...platform; actually do stuff, as feos said. This sort of adventure is one thing that makes the game interesting. So why is the TAS entertaining? Because of the jump combos. There are sequence-breaking tricks in every single level, which all look pretty cool IMO. The Mañanitos' speed makes things look a lot cooler when used. The game is being taken advantage of highly in the TAS. I think this is definitely a game where it is underrated because of the general viewers' lack of experience with the game, as has been mentioned many times. Those people who would know the game at least fairly well (at least enough to know where stuff is and what you have to do in each level), would probably have voted Yes as well, because the tricks show that the game's physics are being highly taken advantage of. Hopefully one day someone, or better yet some people, with actual long(ish)-term experience with The Morning Adventure, will see this TAS and be shocked by it. Of course, so few people actually know the game that this may or may not ever happen.