1 2 3
8 9
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I think he's just using "TASBot" as a colloquialism here to refer to playing back a TAS.
Previous Name: boct1584
Experienced player (852)
Yeah feos, tasbot being an all-powerful ROB he can handle hardware playback as well as emulator :). Super Metroid would be an emulator run and I made that clear in the submission. Speaking of which I made the 3 submissions today as I had posted them before. You should be able to see them on the gamesdonequick page soon (once they are reviewed and move on to the public list)
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Should I post the battletoads script?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Experienced player (852)
I see the list is out for SGDQ 2017. All of my submissions were declined (TAS and otherwise), so there will be no TAS block at SGDQ 2017.
Banned User, Former player
link_7777 wrote:
so there will be no TAS block at SGDQ 2017.
That might be for the better, as has been suggested before. I just hope it doesn't start any nasty rumors.
Post subject: Volunteers are needed to identify TAS content for AGDQ 2018
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
The AGDQ 2018 games submission committee has asked us to submit TAS content. They have specifically asked us to focus on highly entertaining (and reasonably short or otherwise varied) content, and they have specifically asked us to avoid focusing on technical shenanigans for this event. Console verification is preferred where possible but not required meaning running TAS's in an emulator is acceptable for this event (although playing back videos is not acceptable). Good, practiced commentary is a must and having the authors of the run present is considered a bonus. As I've noted in a few places I cannot guarantee it will be possible for me to attend the event. Likewise, I have completely shifted my leadership role away from being "the guy in charge" to being more of a facilitator or guide, simply asking volunteers how things are going and helping them stay unblocked. This change is needed for a wide variety of reasons, ranging from how I feel I personally mishandled certain aspects of past events to the current amount of free time I am likely to have for the foreseeable future due to real life events. At this time I hope to be able to attend the event but I've asked Jaku to stand in for me if I cannot be there in person. With all that said, we have a limited amount of time to identify content that meets the game selection committee's requests as submissions start September 2nd and close September 13th. Can you, yes you dear reader, think of a run that would be a good fit based on past content already shown at GDQ events and based on length and entertainment? Again, I'm expecting we will not be doing console verification but we will attempt to do so wherever possible; I realize this may be an unpopular viewpoint and there will be some that will be very upset by this but it's the only reasonable way to allow us to show a wider variety of content than we have been able to show so far and the benefits outweigh the downsides in my opinion. So, what should we pitch? Reply here, come to #tasbot / http://chat.tasbot.net or something else but don't assume someone else will step up. Thanks to everyone in the past who has supported TAS at GDQ efforts!
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
dwangoAC wrote:
Can you, yes you dear reader, think of a run that would be a good fit based on past content already shown at GDQ events and based on length and entertainment? Again, I'm expecting we will not be doing console verification but we will attempt to do so wherever possible
link_7777 wrote:
Battletoads
A slightly modified version of the "2P warps" run has been console verified. For an emulator replay (unless it gets verified somehow), [3343] NES Rockman 4 Minus Infinity by Baddap1 in 34:52.44.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
There were some potential technical hitches with Hyper Princess Pitch, but I don't remember what those were. Anyone else? If those can be solved, that would be spectacular.
Previous Name: boct1584
Experienced player (601)
I second Super Monkey Ball.
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
Post subject: Re: Volunteers are needed to identify TAS content for AGDQ 2018
dwangoAC wrote:
(and reasonably short or otherwise varied)
On a somewhat of a tangent, I find it curious (even a bit odd) how both the GDQ people themselves, as well as the public, seem to be perfectly ok with having regular speedruns of a single game that take literally several hours, yet when it comes to TASes, it seems that anything that's more than a couple of minutes long apparently becomes quickly "boring". For example in the last SGDQ, the Earthbound run was 4 and a half hours long. The FF7 run was a whopping 7 hours 48 minutes long! Yet if a TAS goes on for 10 minutes, it somehow becomes boring. The chaotic nature of the human mind will never cease to amaze me.
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
Warp wrote:
dwangoAC wrote:
...Yet if a TAS goes on for 10 minutes, it somehow becomes boring. The chaotic nature of the human mind will never cease to amaze me.
This is because they want to do several different TAS's, i.e. we can do an hour long TAS or we can do a handful of ~15 minute TAS's but probably not both. If we want more time we'd probably be scheduled at an inconvenient time is my guess. There's always RPG Limit Break though...
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
Warp wrote:
dwangoAC wrote:
On a somewhat of a tangent, I find it curious (even a bit odd) how both the GDQ people themselves, as well as the public, seem to be perfectly ok with having regular speedruns of a single game that take literally several hours, yet when it comes to TASes, it seems that anything that's more than a couple of minutes long apparently becomes quickly "boring". For example in the last SGDQ, the Earthbound run was 4 and a half hours long. The FF7 run was a whopping 7 hours 48 minutes long! Yet if a TAS goes on for 10 minutes, it somehow becomes boring. The chaotic nature of the human mind will never cease to amaze me.
It's actually not too hard to see why. Beyond a few initial desync points early on (depending on the method of playback), there are no potential failure points in a TAS playback. You're just watching a movie play back, and it's not even really "live". Meanwhile, real-time speedruns still have the element of pressure on the runner to perform well, live, on the spot, with a single try, with all of the risks of failing something, having bad RNG, and so on. It's essentially a waste of "live" speedrunner's time to do non-live stuff that could be better spent on actual live speedruns. Remember that they already have to cram a lot of games into roughly a week's time. Imagine watching a GDQ, but instead of it being a live assembly of speedrunners, you're just watching a clip show of WR videos. Do you think anybody would be nearly as interested in watching a "live" "marathon" of that?
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
Seeing as TASVideos will be 15 years old next year (December) take this as more of a pitch for SGDQ18 than AGDQ18. The legacy TAS re-synced from Famtasia to Console: [668] NES Super Mario Bros. 3 "warps" by Morimoto in 11:03.95
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Active player (463)
This movie never stops to amaze me http://tasvideos.org/3502M.html In my opinion, this was one of the biggest "wtf-moments" in my life, never thought one would be able to rearrange a game like this.. As for the "Trip World" suggestion, i´m not sure about that repeating high-pitched pause sound.
2-do: Smurfs Nightmare, The (EU) GBC 10% fin : Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge improvement: submitted Mega Man II Improvement: submitted Mega Man IV Improvement: submitted Mega Man V Improvement: submitted future plan: -n-
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
[1546] NES Gimmick! "100%" by Aglar & Hotarubi in 07:44.45 I need to point out one major thing that I have against this TAS. It needs to be updated before we actually consider it due to the glitches and newer tech that was found for it last year (or was it a year before). [2317] SNES Kaizo Mario World 3 by ISM, Mister in 17:11.23 Human > Bot Basically for the whole "Hold on to your butts," deal. [2966] GB Trip World by MUGG in 05:10.91 What beeping? [2994] GC Super Monkey Ball "Expert through Master" by byrz, CyclopsDragon in 12:55.18 Yes, second the craziness known as Monkeys in Balls going Super Sonic all over the place. [3350] Arcade Osman by xy2_ in 06:36.77 How dare you not bias properly! The correct way to bias is to grab the most ridiculous TAS that you've ever made and request it. Like s-- Oh... half my TASes are because the game itself is ridiculous... Carry on.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor
Would it be worth it to submit some of those whacky MK TAS'es at GDQ?
Totally irrelevant link My consoles: PS2 (PS1 as bw\c), NDS Lite (GBA as bw/c), 3DS XL, Wii U (vWii theoretically), PS4 slim.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
I think we should focus on runs that don't break the game logic for casual viewers much, meaning no crazy end-level glitch setups and that sorts, so the focus for explanation can be on TASing not the game itself. Here are some recent runs that I find interessting, others suggested good run already aswell: [3002] NES Gremlins 2: The New Batch by Aglar in 06:55.58: Generally entertaining, optimization is for viewers clearly visible. [3153] NES Shadow of the Ninja (Japan) "1 player" by TASeditor in 09:30.41: I know it's my own, but it has variety and last stage. I would help to write the commentary. [3331] NES The Battle of Olympus by Arc & nesrocks in 09:55.37: A bit like Zelda II, but doesn't break exits. [2441] NES DuckTales by Aglar & MESHUGGAH in 07:04.73: It's nice to watch. [3055] SNES The Mask by BrunoVisnadi in 05:26.55: Fast paced platformer. [3126] GBA Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance "Maxim, all bosses" by gstick in 05:47.68: From all GBA Castlevania runs this is the only one that doesn't use game restart glitches and is of decent lenght.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Post subject: Re: xy's list.
Spikestuff wrote:
[1546] NES Gimmick! "100%" by Aglar & Hotarubi in 07:44.45 I need to point out one major thing that I have against this TAS. It needs to be updated before we actually consider it due to the glitches and newer tech that was found for it last year (or was it a year before).
Agreed. But even then, a human performs probably all the same tricks live, so it's not that unique anymore.
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3521)
This is a tough one. Highly entertaining runs are rare. We don't really have any fresh runs of the caliber of Brain Age or SMB 3 ACE. As a viewer I'd probably just tune out of any of the listed runs so far, (maybe except for Battletoads, but even that is more technically interesting then really entertaining.) I don't know, I'm tempted to say just sit this one out rather then submit something mediocre. Maybe the time would be better spent searching out new ideas.
Alyosha wrote:
maybe except for Battletoads, but even that is more technically interesting then really entertaining
I'm not making this up, look at the entertainment rating, and at the amount of the raters. I can talk about how good that movie is for hours, but I'd prefer facts to speak instead.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
<YaLTeR_> Could someone post this for me in the gdq planning thread please: #5624: pirohiko's PSX Crash Bandicoot: Warped "item glitch, gate clip" in 05:40.77
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
TASeditor wrote:
I think we should focus on runs that don't break the game logic for casual viewers much, meaning no crazy end-level glitch setups and that sorts, so the focus for explanation can be on TASing not the game itself.
I think at least one of the runs should be a glitchfest. Those are always popular with the live audience. Variety should be good. One run with minimal glitching (perhaps preferably because the game simply doesn't have exploitable bugs) but which really showcases the superhuman aspect of TASes. One run that's a total glitchfest. One run that's highly humorous. Something along those lines.
Fog
Experienced player (626)
I'm totally not a sellout here, but [3140] Wii Gummy Bears Minigolf by Fog in 12:27.13
1 2 3
8 9