Submission Text Full Submission Page
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga takes place in the Beanbean Kingdom, where Mario and Luigi chase down the villains Cackletta and Fawful to retrieve Princess Peach's voice.
The objective of the movie is to beat the game fast without using any glitches.
Damage was taken to save time.

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Hello Lu64, and welcome to TASVideos.
For a first TAS this is a very good and ambitious effort, but as people more familiar with TASing the game have noted, there are several issues with routing and optimization; especially the mashing (mainly using autofire at various speeds) loses a lot of time over the course of the run, often visibly so. There are also other occasional flubs, including sometimes stopping movement for no good reason. Because of these issues, I'm rejecting this run.
If you want to try again, I recommend contacting other TASers who are more familiar with running through this game and cooperating with them. Also, be aware of the downsides of using autofire, considering how many frames it loses in this game.
Better luck next time!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Snodeca
She/Her
Player (128)
I don't really want to be mean but...How did you make the TAS? 8,000 rerecords seems VERY odd for this length. Especially for a Mario & Luigi game which tends to be pretty technical, both glitchless and glitched. For a comparison, I took 2184 rerecords for the first eleven minutes. I'll be watching this today or tomorrow probably (or Saturday at most). I'll use LiveSplit to compare to RTA World Record while I'm at it. I'm quite curious how this TAS was made. Gives me a comparison to my future TAS, I guess...?
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
TAS has very questionable mashing throughout as well as the mashing at the end where it's evident that the ending input passed a while back. I'll give it a watch through maybe when I can, but a flag I know that MUGG is quite serious about is that this was done on VBA which is very questionable at best for this game in particular.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Snodeca
She/Her
Player (128)
Extremely slow mashing at some points (for a TAS), takes you a second sometimes to just select an attack. Sometimes you have really weird movement, and at the beginning for example you randomly stopped. You didn't optimize the item-routing: you got Mushrooms in TOAD TOWN. Especially for a TAS, that is very bad. I'm watching the TAS, some parts sped up and some not. I noticed at some points you could have jumped up stairs but you didn't. A lot of it really felt slow and bad. Sorry, no vote. Could save at least 10 minutes to proper TASing alone. I estimate sub 3 hours is possible in Glitchless, and 3:15 is not exactly the best time. That being said, it still is the fastest recorded run, but it could be much better. Definitely a no vote. Edit: Another BIG thing: You used Auto-Fire for text. I can guarantee you, you lose at least a whole minute in the TAS because of that. Auto Firing is sub-optimal in this game with text, as goes: Frame 1 - A (Advance Text Bubble) Frame 2 - Frame 3 - Frame 4 - A (Finish Text Bubble) Pressing A on Frame 3 doesn't do anything, so by auto-firing, you: Frame 1 - A (Advance Text Bubble) Frame 2 - Frame 3 - A (Does nothing) Frame 4 - Frame 5 - A (Finish Text Bubble) As you can see, you are losing a frame each text bubble this way. There are some where auto-firing CAN work, but such a case is rare by my experiences. So, with that being said, you lose maybe over a minute because of this. Probably 2+ if I'm being realistic. Lastly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8FEaN9g0SQ (Straight from your TAS ^) Isn't this a skip? Abusing extremely fast mashing, in fact if you return here with this skip, the cutscene repeats but is glitched. So...Not as glitchless as you may think. :D Just thought I'd let you know this.
Active player (463)
if mugg sees this, he´ll be disappointed to hell and back
2-do: Smurfs Nightmare, The (EU) GBC 10% fin : Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge improvement: submitted Mega Man II Improvement: submitted Mega Man IV Improvement: submitted Mega Man V Improvement: submitted future plan: -n-
Editor, Expert player (2312)
I'm surprised this game has got TASers besides me. @Amy, I feel conflicted if that Peach skip should be allowed. It's not a true glitch, just an exploit with the text getting cleared faster than was thought possible by the devs. As a side note, MrShasta managed to trigger a similar bug in his glitchless run. Since it hasn't been decided in the RTA community, it's probably something that can be left up to the TASer if they want to include it or not. You said you reached 11 minutes into the game? I'd be interested seeing that WIP, maybe we can work together.
Snodeca
She/Her
Player (128)
MUGG wrote:
I'm surprised this game has got TASers besides me. @Amy, I feel conflicted if that Peach skip should be allowed. It's not a true glitch, just an exploit with the text getting cleared faster than was thought possible by the devs. As a side note, MrShasta managed to trigger a similar bug in his glitchless run. Since it hasn't been decided in the RTA community, it's probably something that can be left up to the TASer if they want to include it or not. You said you reached 11 minutes into the game? I'd be interested seeing that WIP, maybe we can work together.
I think SkyToast also worked on a Glitchless TAS, I think he finished up to Hoohooros maybe. Also, about the Peach one, when I was originally trying to do a (SUPER) rough route for a Glitchless TAS I was debating to myself whether or not I'd to the skip and ended up deciding not to do it. Lastly, I do wanna include that I did use VBA-Next myself in my own WIP but I'll upload it tomorrow morning my time, you'll probably see it in User files or something, in about 11 hours, 12 at most.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... om, nom, nom... nom nom
Snodeca
She/Her
Player (128)
Hi, I am sorry for necroing a 2 year old gruefood thread, but I uploaded an encode of the TAS on YouTube, although the colours are a bit messed up. I'm not going to bother to fix this because encoding and uploading took far too long. The video is here: Link to video I'd also like to comment on a couple notable things on this TAS: - autofire (as I once mentioned before) is slow, although what I initially wrote in one of the posts was quite wrong, autofire is only slow if there are two lines in a text box next to "you don't know if you hit the first possible frame or not", with a couple exceptions. It likely doesn't lose more than half a minute over the course of the run, though; - Sometimes you didn't even use autofire for going through text. You just mashed A at your own pace, which is visibly slower than the RTA world record. This obviously loses a shit ton of time (excuse my language); - routing was very bad (far too many mushrooms, collecting mushrooms when you have far more than enough and STILL going shopping for mushrooms, you needed at most 21 Mush damage against Cackletta, you had over 25 Mush damage against Popple & Birdo, still went shopping); - the above leads me to believe you didn't do any testing at all; - collected the Bros. Rock, which, while useful in RTA, sadly loses time in TAS (I have tested this, it had potential but getting Bros. Rock sadly takes far too long) - Very weird movement... - In the Winkle mini-game: you didn't get hit as much as you could, which loses time - In the Geno mini-game, you collected stars which slows down the timer and visibly loses time (I do not know by how much it loses each time) - The barrel mini-game, from an entertaining section, was very boring. I would have tried to at the very least get 50 points, as going for a high score here does not lose time. You didn't lose any time here, no, but it was boring, and visibly done in RTA. - While this still needs to be tested, killing Luigi in almost all the bosses may actually be faster, but I won't blame you for not getting Luigi to die as it may be close. - Last routing issue I can remember, was that in Stardust Fields you fought 4/4/3 enemies instead of 4/4/4 enemies. When I first noticed you went for 4/4/3 enemies, I thought you were going to go for 4/4/3/4, the last 4 being an encounter in Hoohoo Mountain, like in the new RTA route, however you did not. You are weak for the next few fights because of this. What I mean with 4/4/4 and whatnot is the amount of enemies you fight in battles, so 4 enemies three times. Those were the things I remembered at the top of my head from when I watched it. What it seems like to me is that this TAS follows the old RTA route (the new route gets the Greed Wallet), and the only rerecords were to not get hit in fights and to avoid all enemies. This TAS severely lacks in optimization and it was rightfully rejected. I would estimate an optimal TAS would be about 2:55:xx, on Bizhawk-mGBA. We'll see when I finish mine :shrug: Again, sorry for necroing a nearly two-year-old thread. And yes, I realize you won't see this, @Lu64.