Submission Text Full Submission Page
da na na na,
snap snap,
da na na na,
snap snap,
da na na na, da na na na, da na na na,
snap snap.
They're creepy and they're kooky, Mysterious and spooky, They're all together ooky, The Addams Family.
lua script (thanks ThunderAxe31): Userfiles/Info/48040953679364406
encode with lua:
encode without lua:

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Bizhawk 2.2.1
  • defeat all bosses
  • have every family member (except for Morticia) present in the piano room before the hall of chains
  • have all heart upgrades
  • heavy glitch abuse

Comments

so obviously there's alot I have to say about this run. I started back in january where I asked GarbitheGlitcheress for help on this category. She said that she had made a movie of this category before but didnt think it was optimal enough for submission. I took that movie file to make it as optimal as I could possibly get it to. I added a bunch of skips, learned how speed actually works in this game, and overall made everything alot smoother. This wouldn't be possible without any of her help, so I thank her for that.
but for now, let's talk about the tech in this run.

Tech

Sword powerup

this is the most important item we will need in this run. This item you lose if you take damage, and the developers never intended that you would be able to reach any of the bosses in the game with it, so they didnt bother to nuke the sword's ability to kill bosses almost instantly. the sword seems to ignore i-frames after you do damage to a boss, which makes them die instantly.

speedshoes

the SNES run is used for this category because it allows you to stack 2 speedshoe powerups. Gomez runs at a max speed of 2 pixels per frame, when he grabs a set of speedshoes, that increases to 3 pixels per frame. You can then grab another set to get a maximum speed of 4 pixels per frame. not only does this make Gomez move extremely fast, but it also allows us to do Zips.

zips

when you jump at a wall at a specific angle while going either 3 or 4 pixels per frame, gomez will momentarily clip into the wall until the game corrects itself. what we can do here is as soon as gomez clips into the wall, press the oposite direction button. this makes gomez zip upwards until he reaches a ledge. in some rooms, you can zip up so high that you can end up on the bottom of the room, but the camera wouldnt correct itself. this can be seen when we enter the tree level. some areas dont allow you to zip up easily, so I didnt bother with them.

speed

to really optimize this game well, you need to understand how speed works.
the game has counters that determine when for example gomez will jump from a speed of 1 pixel per frame to 2 pixels per frame. the counters go like this:
  • countdown to 2 pixels: 8 frames
  • countdown to 3 pixels: 16 frames
  • countdown to 4 pixels: 24 frames
the thing to note here is if gomez for example is traveling at a speed of 1 pixel per frame, but not for 8 frames where he would jump to 2 pixels per frame, the counter doesnt reset itself. so you will have instances where as soon as gomez starts moving again, it would only take one frame to jump to 2 pixels per frame.
this is made useful when moving vertically, as you can move around to build up speed as soon as you can move horizontally again.

Note:

when doing the last portion of this run, which is where the any% would normally start, the runs wouldn't sync exactly to how the any% route went. I even tried copying the inputs from the any% movie and it wouldnt get past the first room of the hall of chains. so I took a bit of a different route for how I did zips.
the rest of the run should be self explanatory. although feel free to ask questions if you have them. me and Garbi will try to answer them as best as we can!

feos: Judging...
feos: Delayed while the improved version is being done.
EZGames69: Cancelling since improvements will take awhile.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
Nice to finally see an "All Bosses" TAS of this game here! I'm surprised how you finished this game in a few days after the release of furnace room progress. Yes vote. Back from January, I managed a way to reach the boss exit door from "The Crypt" (normally inacessible) through zipping, but since there are blocks on the boss room, a zip unfortunately doesn't bypass this. But could save a few minutes. And thanks for the encode. :) EDIT: On "The Old Tree", after the password screen, any reason why Gomez appears in mid-air instead on ground?
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Experienced player (852)
Great run! Really interesting to see the differences between this and the Pugsley version for the NES. Slightly different goals, but the 2x speed shoes just make for a run that cruises on any console
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3965)
Challenger wrote:
EDIT: On "The Old Tree", after the password screen, any reason why Gomez appears in mid-air instead on ground?
No idea, i believe it could be a default height for that particular room. I found that crouching slightly reduces the height, so I did that.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1637)
Great run EZ. Thanks for sharing your progress along the way. Yes vote!
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
I watched more closely, and noted some (or probably more) possible improvements for this run. I'm interested to implement this in your run. Probably I can finish in a few days. ;)
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
EZGames69
He/They
Challenger wrote:
I watched more closely, and noted some (or probably more) possible improvements for this run. I'm interested to implement this in your run. Probably I can finish in a few days. ;)
I appreciate your efforts and I’d be happy to include you as a co-author for this run.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
Challenger wrote:
Probably I can finish in a few days. ;)
And nearly a week has passed... I ended finding much more improvements than I expected. So, probably I'll finish this on next week or two. I saved more than 400 frames until now. ;)
Great run. Best room, the Gondola. Worst run, the trains. This game is surprisingly well done. Quite enjoyed it, and looking forward to the improvements!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Challenger wrote:
Challenger wrote:
Probably I can finish in a few days. ;)
And nearly a week has passed... I ended finding much more improvements than I expected. So, probably I'll finish this on next week or two. I saved more than 400 frames until now. ;)
How is it going?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
feos wrote:
How is it going?
Here's the current progress: 660 frames ahead but desync around 51550 frame. (but not final version yet) Actually I never expected a big improvement to this submission. Initially I planned to take a look for this game months ago, but totally forgot because of my involvement with one of remaining runs of the First 500 project. My apologies for the authors of this run.
Player (228)
Cool to hear! I appreciate you helping with the tas, and I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements :)
This branch can be considered full completion. In this game, you have to resque the family members to beat it, and you also have a single type of upgrade you can get. Each of these gets awarded to you upon beating the bosses. Using the glitch present in the any% movie also means it is a vaultable goal (not that this movie is going to be vaulted, just documenting the bookkeeping info).
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
EZGames69
He/They
feos wrote:
This branch can be considered full completion. In this game, you have to resque the family members to beat it, and you also have a single type of upgrade you can get. Each of these gets awarded to you upon beating the bosses. Using the glitch present in the any% movie also means it is a vaultable goal (not that this movie is going to be vaulted, just documenting the bookkeeping info).
I would like to add that all the game collectables do not respawn after you collect them, but resetting the game and putting in a password from where you left off respawns them. Passwords just save your lives count and the bosses you defeated. I originally thought that collecting them would be the true 100% but since there’s no way to permanently collect them, it really cant be counted as full completion.
Hi again, Challenger! Any updates with this movie?
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
feos wrote:
Hi again, Challenger! Any updates with this movie?
I was planning to post here yesterday, but I forgot this. I'm currently trying to improve the furnace level (almost half of the game). Actually I know that the gameplay isn't easy, but never expected a further improvement for this submission (thanks to TAStudio). Over 1000 frames saved until now. Most of the optimization includes better setup speed and a new tricky way to dodge traps (but not all) losing a pixel without affecting speed. I have the movie file, but I'm not on my computer now. I'll post later.
Is anything even left of the current submission? Sounds like it's worth a new submission rather than a quick movie replacement.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
feos wrote:
Is anything even left of the current submission? Sounds like it's worth a new submission rather than a quick movie replacement.
Other than optimizing turnarounds and traps/enemies to dodge carefully, probably nope. EDIT: Here's my current progress: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/949281194/addamsfamily-allbosses-improving-furnace.bk2 (but still needs more heavy optimization and a resync).
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
How you managed to navigate well during some of out of bounds (like the underground)? Do you used some kind of camera hack or RAM addresses were used? Sometimes (after improving even more), these oob zips doesn't work properly and results on desync. And another update: I'm 1253 frames ahead until now, but optimizing speed is sometimes tricky. To reach the final result, I'll need a long time (or probably some weeks?).
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
I think it should be better to cancel this submission then.
EZGames69
He/They
Challenger wrote:
How you managed to navigate well during some of out of bounds (like the underground)? Do you used some kind of camera hack
I wish. For places like the the first tree entrance, if you jump up and down, the camera will actually move downward eventually reaching the right spot where Gomez is. This allowed me to see where he was so i could memorize the area surrounding him. I’m not exactly sure if there’s an easier way to see Gomez off screen. I do wish there was a cam hack available or something.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... sweet!
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
After nearly 3 months, I finally finished the "update"! First of all, I knew before that EZGames was working on this game. I looked this game for some things at the time when the run has started, I updated and posted some "stuff". So, since I was interested with this game, he asked me about the project, but I totally forgot to ask him (and this game) because I was busy TASing some First 500 stuff during 4 months. Since this game isn't easy to optimize, I thought that the run would be finished with more weeks (at the time when the "fourth stage" was completed). It's my fault for the cancellation of the submission. So, since I should have contacted the authors before, my apologies for them. But for the other side, since I learned expericence with TAStudio during this year, I was able to learn this game even better, and this run also helped so much. Now about the update: almost 5000 frames were saved by redoing almost everything to optimize setup speeds to extreme (the speed mechanic looks "random" - but thanks to the addresses), and ? frames were saved due to a big new find! I'll submit the new run during this week. Please wait, because this project was tougher to finish.
feos wrote:
After this post was made, we had a community argument on what should be considered full completion in general, which resulted in this rules update: http://tasvideos.org/diff.exe?page=MovieRules&rev=337&prev=335 A few days later I added this clause, commenting that if a full completion objective is not optional, then it's just a fastest completion objective: http://tasvideos.org/diff.exe?page=MovieRules&rev=343&prev=342 I don't remember anymore if "all bosses" is defined in-game as an optional goal. If it isn't, and if beating all bosses is just an any% requirement imposed by the game, then we can only have this branch in Moons.
EZGames69
He/They
feos wrote:
I don't remember anymore if "all bosses" is defined in-game as an optional goal. If it isn't, and if beating all bosses is just an any% requirement imposed by the game, then we can only have this branch in Moons.
3 of the bosses are completely optional. You only need to defeat the bosses that have family members with them to open the final game stretch. But most players defeat the other bosses because they would give you more health, but you can still beat the game without them. If every boss was required to beat the game (without the door clip that is), it would definitely not be vault worthy. But since not every one is, it can be defined as 100%.