(Link to video)
Iji is an action-packed strategic platform shooter with a detailed story, large levels with multiple paths, powerful bosses and lots of secrets. There are alternate gameplay events, dialogues and scenes depending on what you do, a wealth of extras and bonus features, and seven stats to upgrade through a leveling system. Iji herself has superhuman strength and abilities, and can crack Nanotechnology, use her enemies' most devastating weapons against them, and be a pacifist or a killer - the story adapts to how you play.
The aim of this TAS is to get as close to full completion as you can in a single playthrough.
A collectable is a unique item that you can pick up that directly influences in-game statistics aka can be tracked (if you are confused look at this table) and can be aquired within a single playhrough. This includes:
  • All posters, ribbons and supercharges
  • Yukabacera's scrambler
  • Trapmine
  • Banana gun
  • All armor and jump upgrades
Posters, ribbons and supercharges are all listed on the official items list in the game guide made by the developer himself. There is one of each in each sector. They are not required to beat the game but ribbons and posters are tracked in-game and are required for unlocking some of the later secrets. Most of them require certain nanoweapons to be collected.
Yukabacera’s scarmbler isn’t technically an item but you can collect it and it permanantly unlocks it and that’s why it’s included.
All jump upgrades are required to beat the game anyway but they fit in the category of collectables so that’s why they are included. All armor upgrades means maxing out armor, it doesn’t matter which ones you get (they stop spawning after you get two).
The reason that nano, armor and health pickups aren’t included even though they are listed as items on the official game guide is that firstly collecting all nano pickups in impossible due to the level cap and collecting health and armor pickups would be extremely tedious because you would have to damage yourself to collext them. Plus routing the game for minimal nano pickups is more entertaining than going to the max level every sector.
Nano overloads are also on the official list of items. There are none in sector 1, there is one in sectors 3, 4, 6, 8 and X; there are two is sectors 5, 7 and 9. Here is why they aren’t included:
  • They are quite inconsistantly placed. Some are on your path and take no extra time to collect (one is sector 2, 7 and 8 but there is also one in sector 8 you have to collect (there is no way around it)). Some take very little extra time (5-10 seconds) but some (like one in sector 2 and 5) which take 20+ seconds, most of them you have to go there and then backtrack the exact way you came from.
  • They don't do anything useful, they may even be harmful (in some cases you don't want to revive or you don't want to tech damage/reflect projectiles because you want to damage boost) but any harmful effects can be avoided with some rng manipulation.
  • After the effect runs out it's like you didn't collect them at all.
  • All in all they would add on an additional 2-3 minutes for nothing in return.
  • They aren't tracked in any way
The only other item you can get in a single playthrough is the Massacre (which you get for being a pacifist) but seeing as you cannot colect some posters or get the scrambler while being a pacifist it cannot be collected. I favour having more items collected over getting the massacre.
The Null driver is on the item list but it isn’t included because it would require beating the game several times.
This run is done on normal (easiest) difficulty. This is because most importantly doing this on ultimortal is impossible for obvious reasons but doing it on extreme is impossible too. In sector 6 you need 27 points for velocithor in order to get the poster. You are capped at level 18 and would have 6 supercharges max. This means a maximum number of 24 points. While it is true that doing the run on hard is possible, Iji is very much the same but longer. Because of the level cap you would have to just spend extra time collecting nano and killing enemies. Bosses would be the same except for Tor, which would have 1050 hp instead of 900, causing a more dragged out fight. Krotera would remain identical because of rng manipulation. The only change here is the amount of damage the turret heads deal to Krotera, but it isn't optimal to use those anyway. Asha 1 would just get nuked anyway. Proxima would be identical as the only change is the amount of damage done to proxima by lightning, which I don't use since I wouldn't get the supercharge. Iosa 1 would be the same fight just dragged out because lasers from the ceiling deal 35 instead of 40 dmg. Iosa 2 would be the same. While Asha 2 could attack faster, I can already use rng manipulation to shoot the buster gun almost all the time anyway, meaning that the fight wouldn't differ much. There would have to be more nanofield reboots, meaning wasting time on leveling up skills. The only difference would be that health pickups restore 1 hp instead of 2. This is insignificant and doesn't change the gameplay in any way. There is never a situation where you have to rely on health pickups.
For encoding purposes the credits version. When running and recording I got the best results with:
  • Multithreading Mode: Allow known threads only
  • Multimedia Timer Mode: Synchronous
  • Message Sync Mode: Asynchronous
  • Wait Sync Mode: Asynchronous
Also before you run the TAS, you need to:
  • Go into the settings and set Screen shaking to low, Show time to on, go to more... and set Gamma and Special effects to off/low.
  • Go into a game and exit whenever (this is to save these settings).
  • Exit out of the game
These settings are done to increase stability. Hourglass is known to crash a lot when playing Iji, these settings help reduce that a bit.

feos: Judging...
feos: Replacing the submission file with the version that reaches the credits. Reasons described in this post onward. In theory this is trivial input to append, but the way Hourhlass is designed makes it hard and annoying (increasingly so, every time you have to do it). Improvements will be compared by the time the final boss is beaten anyway.
feos: It's been a long ride, but we can finally have a solid full completion definition for this game.
The common agreement on what to collect and what not to collect boils down to this: collectables are items you can pick up that affect your stats and are tracked by the game, and that can be collected in a single playthrough.
I watched this movie while checking each item listed as required, and here what this movie gets:
  • All 10 posters: one per sector.
  • All 10 ribbons: one per sector.
  • All 10 supercharges: one per sector.
  • All 2 Jump upgrades: sectors 2 and 5.
  • 2 armor upgrades: sectors 3 and X.
    • The ones in sectors 7 through 9 are skipped, but the last one present maxes out the stat anyway. It was just a routing decision to collect it there. Getting the earliest ones right away would result in the same final stat, but would make death abuse harder.
  • Yukabacera’s scarmbler: sector 6.
  • Trapmine: sector 8.
  • Banana gun: sector 9.
    • It is right next to a poster, so it costs basically no time to collect.
As discussed in all the possible details in both threads, getting any other items doesn't make sense as a part of this goal, mostly because it's impossible to have all at once.
Accepting to Moons.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6401: Matslo123's Windows Iji "all collectables" in 42:04.17
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
  1. Small changes don't require resubmitting, especially when there's not feedback yet. We just replace the movie file like before.
  2. There's a special field for the game version, we don't put it into the game name field.
  3. Branch labels are lowercase.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (103)
Sorry, will keep in mind for the future.
28:10 - This fight is still glorious. It wasn't explicitly discussed before (unless I missed it) but I'm assuming getting maxed-out skills would have required a huge amount of farming, if it's even possible. So this surely inherits my "yes" from before with all the loud bangs and occasional whistles. That easter egg is still weird...
BTW every time I judge this game I find it really annoying to have to use 2 movies. Hourglass is not like any emulator, and it's unpleasantly hard to just keep sending inputs to it after the movie has ended. It can't pause at movie end, it doesn't display half of useful info that emulators display, and it crashes like crazy on top of that. So while verifying both movies every time is unpleasant, working on it to extend the movie (yet not too much!) is a real pain. I'd very much prefer switching to standard approach to ending a movie that just reaches the credits, shall we? This goes to both current (and all future) submissions of this game.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (103)
If you find that to be so much of a hassle then sure. If you are having issues with it crashing I suggest you use the settings that I say in my submission. But couldn't you just varify the credits movie and for timing end at the last frame of input before Tor. The noend and credits movies are both identical except for the very end.
Even verifying they are identical is a pain thanks to HG.
Player (103)
I know that this is unofficial software but Kataiser has made a tool for converting the .wtf files to files that clearly indicate which inputs are pressed when and for how long. I'm not saying anything about his iji tas mod, just this tool. It should be easy to compare the first x frames of two tases this way right? https://github.com/Kataiser/wtf-to-itf
This is called a workaround. If we can avoid the original problem, none of the workarounds is needed. The original problem is contradicting this rule:
Movie Rules wrote:
Extra input is trivial to execute for anyone replaying the movie
The official preference is also having the full file published:
Judge Guidelines wrote:
It is preferred to contain such input in the submitted movie
Player (103)
But exta input is trivial, all you have to do is press c, enter and esc.
Sorry for bringing this up so late but I'm still not convinced nano overloads should be avoided. In the previous thread I asked for opinions and got only one opinion other than the author's, and it consisted of general rhetorics and RTA rhetorics. The TAS-related point against them is that they cost a couple extra minutes. But nonetheless they are identical in accessibility to all other collectables. Now accessibility is the primary criterion here. You can't access all nano/health/armor/ammo by simply running into them if you're maxed out. Nano overloads you just freely pick up. And as noted by the author, their negative effects (regarding routing) can be manipulated away.
Matslo123 wrote:
Hourglass is what makes it so hard.
Player (103)
feos wrote:
Sorry for bringing this up so late but I'm still not convinced nano overloads should be avoided. In the previous thread I asked for opinions and got only one opinion other than the author's, and it consisted of general rhetorics and RTA rhetorics. The TAS-related point against them is that they cost a couple extra minutes. But nonetheless they are identical in accessibility to all other collectables. Now accessibility is the primary criterion here. You can't access all nano/health/armor/ammo by simply running into them if you're maxed out. Nano overloads you just freely pick up. And as noted by the author, their negative effects (regarding routing) can be manipulated away.
Matslo123 wrote:
Hourglass is what makes it so hard.
Saying that you need to get all nano overloads is like saying that you need to get all mushrooms, fireflowers and star powerups in Super Mario Bros. to complete 100%. At any given point there is no way of knowing how many you have collected. With the other collectables there is an easy way to know if it has been collected or not (ribbons and scrambler in menu, posters in poster viewer, supercharges by looking at level and points).
Player (36)
Svimmer wrote:
28:10 - This fight is still glorious. It wasn't explicitly discussed before (unless I missed it) but I'm assuming getting maxed-out skills would have required a huge amount of farming, if it's even possible. So this surely inherits my "yes" from before with all the loud bangs and occasional whistles. That easter egg is still weird...
AFAIK it's impossible to max out everything, the game limits the amount of experience you can get in a single level, and even if it didn't enemies do not respawn. In fact, each enemy has a name, and at the end of the game, you are treated to a list of every single person you killed.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Matslo123 wrote:
With the other collectables there is an easy way to know if it has been collected or not (ribbons and scrambler in menu, posters in poster viewer, supercharges by looking at level and points).
Please post detailed notes on how to check this for every collectable type. This aspect was probably intended to become a part of the collectable definition, but left unexamined.
Player (103)
feos wrote:
Matslo123 wrote:
With the other collectables there is an easy way to know if it has been collected or not (ribbons and scrambler in menu, posters in poster viewer, supercharges by looking at level and points).
Please post detailed notes on how to check this for every collectable type. This aspect was probably intended to become a part of the collectable definition, but left unexamined.
For the trapmine you can tell based on the ending. If Dan is present in the ending it means that you used the trapmine. The banana gun can be selected with 0 at any time, though I don't do this as it wastes time. And the jump/armor upgrades are visible on the stats portion of the screen. All of these collectables have some impact whereas nano overloads don't.
You're not addressing them all though. This information is required for this and any future verification, as well as for defining collectables as trackable in-game. Without having exact check steps the definition itself becomes muddy. In addition, if this will let us make the definition more objective, we won't have to rely on rhetorics or feelings (or vague analogies with other games).
The rules page has this on "full completion" runs: "Full completion can only consist of optional one-time, irreversible, or otherwise strictly limited accomplishments that can be objectively measured and maximized." The power-ups are not irreversible since they "reverse" themselves after time runs out, but they could be described as "strictly limited" I suppose. Even so it doesn't say it HAS TO include all such things. I still don't see it as some kind of must. TASes are the runs where entertainment is supposed to (?) be important. Do you think another TASer is going to come along in a few years and challenge the definition used for this run as it stands, because it didn't get those overloads? Is that REALLY going to happen in this case? I agree that such things should be agreed upon in general, a bit of an outsider though I am. On SDA, whenever there is a situation where a slightly better category definition is found after the fact, we at least let the old run stay until a new one has been submitted that adheres to the new definition. I'm sure at least this run can be accepted for now regardless? Re. "vague analogies". For the record, there actually IS a Super Mario Bros run on this site that gets all the power-ups, though there's also another one that gets all coins, but those were left out of the 100% definition because "you can't get all of them" (I think that means there's no upper limit unless you do it on one life like the coins run does). I didn't expect such runs to exist, but there you have it. To be honest, it's definitely more entertaining to get the power-ups in SMB than this game specifically because you don't really end up going out of your way so much and the action doesn't stop for as long. I doubt this wasn't a factor in anyone wanting to do such a run in the first place.
Svimmer wrote:
The rules page has this on "full completion" runs: "Full completion can only consist of optional one-time, irreversible, or otherwise strictly limited accomplishments that can be objectively measured and maximized." The power-ups are not irreversible since they "reverse" themselves after time runs out, but they could be described as "strictly limited" I suppose. Even so it doesn't say it HAS TO include all such things.
If all other items that this run collects can be tracked in-game, then we can say their effect is irreversible. It's been told that there's no in-game tracking for nano overloads, and after they run out, it's identical to not having them. This does sound like a point, but I'd still like to know how to check all other items in-game.
Svimmer wrote:
I still don't see it as some kind of must. TASes are the runs where entertainment is supposed to (?) be important. Do you think another TASer is going to come along in a few years and challenge the definition used for this run as it stands, because it didn't get those overloads? Is that REALLY going to happen in this case? I agree that such things should be agreed upon in general, a bit of an outsider though I am.
How does it matter when something is excluded or included? If there are really solid points and community agreement in future, it will happen in future. If our points are already solid, the decision can be made now. We're just going through points that are already there regardless, I find it more sensible to discuss them all in one go, and then simply enjoy the results (bullet-proof definition) for undefined eternity. If points pro nano overloads are not solid, bringing them up in future after we debunk them makes little sense. We just need to debunk them properly.
What I'm saying is I'd personally wait for someone else to challenge the definition used here (which is based on what's tracked and irreversible) and see if their arguments make sense. Similarly, if you leave it up to the TASers to check each others' work (making sure they actually meet the criteria) at risk of the TAS being removed if it doesn't; this tends to result in self-moderation. On SDA, I don't think I remember even a single case of the run not meeting the category definitions after those had already been agreed upon, mainly because the runners will use existing runs as a basis for theirs, but you seem to think some kind of checklist is in necessary. I guess it could be useful. I think some of the collectibles don't affect the game outside of gameplay. Perhaps you'll make a short algorithm/list for what is picked up when that includes everything, matslo?
Player (103)
Svimmer wrote:
What I'm saying is I'd personally wait for someone else to challenge the definition used here (which is based on what's tracked and irreversible) and see if their arguments make sense. Similarly, if you leave it up to the TASers to check each others' work (making sure they actually meet the criteria) at risk of the TAS being removed if it doesn't; this tends to result in self-moderation. On SDA, I don't think I remember even a single case of the run not meeting the category definitions after those had already been agreed upon, mainly because the runners will use existing runs as a basis for theirs, but you seem to think some kind of checklist is in necessary. I guess it could be useful. I think some of the collectibles don't affect the game outside of gameplay. Perhaps you'll make a short algorithm/list for what is picked up when that includes everything, matslo?
I've made a table summariszing the things I collect. https://imgur.com/a/fGooiCO Note that since all base nanoweapons are required for the banana gun I don't include them seperately.
Thanks you! So can we finally define collectables as "items you can pick up that directly influence in-game statistics"? As for ribbons, they also have an effect of a unique monologue when you get them all, is that correct?
Player (103)
feos wrote:
Thanks you! So can we finally define collectables as "items you can pick up that directly influence in-game statistics"? As for ribbons, they also have an effect of a unique monologue when you get them all, is that correct?
The banana gun doesn't fit this definition so are you suggesting that it shouldn't be included? As for ribbons, yes they each have some dialog and you need all of them to get the final one.
Having a selectable weapon is a part of the stats I would say.
Player (103)
feos wrote:
Having a selectable weapon is a part of the stats I would say.
So now you are fine with the things I collect in this TAS?
I was just crafting a clear cut definition, it's unrelated to personal preference. Overloads affect gameplay, but not stats. This borderline is way better than what is described in the submission text as reasons against it. So now I just need to verify the movie.