Col. Brown has spread sludge all throughout the sewers, causing animals to mutate into hideous, dangerous creatures. It's up to you to stop these monsters before the Col. takes over the town.
Movie features:
  • Emulator used: Gens 11a
  • Takes damage to save time
This game lags a lot, especially in sewers. Flames cause most lag, breaking sludge barrels coming next. It's best to leave them outside of screen as fast as possible.
Lag frames: Not quite sure, but they slow you down only if you're on ground when they occur.
TECHNIQUES
-Jumping is faster than walking (pretty obvious)
-Summon bouncing ball to reduce lag (less items flying around) - 3:14
-Dive into enemies and recyclers (Seen first time at 0:48)
-Corner push (If you go just over the corner in air you're pushed one frame forward)
This is seen first time just in the beginning (0:10)
-Quick overhead kick
-Quick item pick/ladder grab (Wait one frame and push down)
-Avoid collecting super cans (at the end of stage 1-3 frames is added for each can)
-Takes damage so there's no need to slow down and handle enemies after that
-Runs into enemies and takes damage to reach higher ground
Enemies
There are lots of different types.
A few are really annoying and we can even take advantage of some of them.
Seagull (0:09)
Police (0:10)
Rat (0:12)
Shooter (0:16)
Sludge mutant (0:37)
Spider (0:38)
-Shoots 8 projectiles and causes major lag
Ghost (0:41)
Small Sludge (0:54)
When you get near them they turn into timed bombs. They slow us down a little at 1:07
Bouncing ball kid (1:26)
He jumps so high he's the toughest one to pass by
Flying sludge (1:43)
Dino (1:54)
Sludge piranha (3:12)
Jumping nail (4:41)
Clockwork drummer (4:47)
Construction worker (4:55)
Flamethrower guy (5:02)
Albino Mouse (5:15)
Biker (6:09)
Hedgehog (6:10)
Wasp (6:52)
Duck (6:52 - not actually trying to be hostile)
Snake (7:01)
Toy plane (7:05)
Scientist (7:08)
Clown (7:32)
Old man (9:48)
Toy tank (10:16)
ITEMS
Blue shoes: A gun replaces your magic ball
Green shoes: Invincibility
Black shoes: destroys enemies on screen after 1,5 seconds
Big Heart: Restores one health
Possible improvement: Level 6 in Sewer starting from 4:14.

adelikat: Good enough for publication.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2567: maTO's Genesis Marko's Magic Football in 10:50.40
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
It's only a while before this gets published. This was really cool. I'll vote yes and provide an AVI a bit later.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Slow game, but some good tricks here and there. I guess it's worth a weak yes-vote.
Skilled player (1086)
This was a pleasant little watch. Voting yes.
Expert player (2581)
It reminds me of Kid Kleets for SNES. It's a pitty that you only like to TAS Genesis games... or so it seems. But that's not the place to talk about my, or your favourite console. You did a good job and my vote is Yes.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
This is, in my opinion, rather borderline. It is a little bit faster than the average platform game here, and the football does make for a slightly different game mechanic, but I don't think those are enough to salvage this from not being overly interesting on my part. Therefore, meh vote. I will, however, dignify this with an encode: http://www.archive.org/download/GenesisMarkosMagicFootballIn1050.4ByMato/markosmagicfootball-tas-mato.mp4 Stream that here: http://www.zexsoft.com/aktan/?GenesisMarkosMagicFootballIn1050.4ByMato/markosmagicfootball-tas-mato
I finally realized why I kept expecting MarcoKarty to be the one who had made this run...heh. I'm inclined to agree with sgrunt. The gameplay is largely very basic platforming. The ability to jump on the soccerball seems like it should allow for some interesting opportunities à la Gimmick, but this never seems to happen in practice. And the environments and level goals just aren't interesting enough to make the run entertaining. I will grant that the run picked up noticeably once you got out of the sewers, though. Voting meh. Thanks for the encode, sgrunt!
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
In this game, Marko kicks a soccer ball. However, this ball is not as cool for kicking or bouncing as the Mega Ball in Mega Man 8. Marko doesn't play soccer as well as Marcokarty. Lastly, he isn't quite as good at killing enemies as this Marco. More seriously, the game is ok. It's cute, but it lags a ton, which throws off the entertainment when destroying two sludge barrels slows down the game. The ball could be an interesting game mechanic, but it doesn't get used very creatively in a speedrun. All in all, it's an ok game at best for me. I'll vote Meh because the game still looks well-run.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
I voted 'meh' but on reflection should have been a weak yes. I was interested to see this and though disappointed with the lack of unique mechanics, this seems well played. I think that whilst a worthy goal, lag reduction just isn't as much of a cool 'crowdpleaser' technique as, say, unintended warps, abusing collision detection etc. I did like the rope-climbing technique used.That was pretty cool to see.
I'm just some random guy. Don't let my words get you riled - I have my opinions but they're only mine.
Experienced player (954)
Voted (weak) Meh, this didnt was realy entertaining to me, i was bored at the end. The slowyness of the character and non-interresting overall game concept didnt made up for me. Now i think like all run from mato, this is quality and probably publish worthy, but the game itself doesnt catch up precedents ones :p
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1486] Genesis Marko's Magic Football by maTO in 10:50.40
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3965)
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing