(Link to video)
Spider-Man is a game loosely based on the... okay, we've already been through this twice now.
Chances are, you probably know how this goes. I made a run of Green Goblin Any% and Spider-Man 100%; you can read the extensive descriptions on either of those if you genuinely don't know how a run of this game plays out.
This is Any% as Spider-Man. Plays on easiest difficulty, aims for fastest time with no restrictions (other than no in-game cheat usage).
My previous Spider-Man Any% was 26:24 RTA timing, while this one is 25:17 RTA.
One thing I discovered recently is Vick Skip. In "Chase Through the Sewer", there is a cutscene where Shocker tells a thug "It's time to stop that freak! Vick, make it happen!" Vick breaks off the valve and causes water to flow through the pipe which Spider-Man needs to go through, so you have to take out the thug with the valve (Vick) first and shut off the water.
I found a way to go through the pipe even while water blasts out, but doing so prevents the player from grabbing Advanced Web Gloves, which are extremely necessary for the run. So Vick Skip is mainly useful in Cheat%, where the player has all the upgrades from the get-go. It would save around 20 seconds.
I use a partial Vick Skip to enter the pipe AS the water is shutting off, so it saves only 2 or 3 seconds here.
ALSO: this game has pretty significant audio issues when dumping, so be sure to see the encoding notes on my 100% run, or ask zinfidel how to properly line up the audio and video of this game!

feos: This movie only synced for me after I followed these steps and then loaded a state Zinfodel made on a GPU that this movie synced on for him.
There wasn't a lot of feedback, but the action is mostly similar to the 2 existing publications of this game and they have good rating.
Execution looks really good. Accepting to Moons as a Fastestcompletion branch.
Zinfidel: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #7114: Natetheman223's GC Spider-Man in 25:34.27
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
“This door is locked, one of the jerks must have the key” Nah, one of those jerks IS the key. Yes vote
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Zinfidel
He/Him
Player (200)
Finally got around to watching this one. I like how I can see a progression of fine-tuning over the course of your TASes of this game. While the 100% TAS is already quite optimized, this one feels even tighter, particularly in the indoor stages. The last stage with the Green Goblin is pretty boring though. I don't know what you could have done here since it seems like you really are just resigned to chasing him around, but the fact remains. Still, it's a yes vote from me since I enjoyed my 25 minutes.
Natetheman223
He/Him
Experienced player (600)
Zinfidel wrote:
The last stage with the Green Goblin is pretty boring though. I don't know what you could have done here since it seems like you really are just resigned to chasing him around, but the fact remains.
The chase is actually somewhat bearable on Super Hero difficulty since Goblin goes extremely fast - so fast that turbo swinging isn't enough to stay in range; you have to cut him off around buildings or else you literally won't be able to keep up. Just something to add for if I ever do a Super Hero TAS of this game.
I like 3D Spider-Man games.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
What's the right memory card setup for this run? Desyncs for me in the first level.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Zinfidel
He/Him
Player (200)
I got this run to sync but had to use my laptop with Intel integrated graphics to get past the first level. On my machine with NVidia graphics it would desync variously. Here's settings I used that you can try: - Remove the XFB stuff from the game properties as natetheman suggests in the previous runs - Speed Limit: 100% - No memory cards (Slot A/B/SP1 all set to <Nothing>) - 1 standard controller in port 1 and nothing else
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Zinfidel wrote:
- No memory cards (Slot A/B/SP1 all set to <Nothing>)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Natetheman223
He/Him
Experienced player (600)
It should just require a singular, formatted, USA memory card. If it desyncs in the first level, try closing Dolphin and reopening it. Or maybe the problem is bigger - one time, Dolphin just flat out stopped syncing every movie I had, even though they had synced previously. I had to reset Dolphin fully by deleting the Dolphin Emulator folder in my documents, which fixed it. EDIT: I swapped my graphics adapter to my NVIDIA card and it desynced. I guess the solution is to not use it as the adapter? When I have it set to my Vega 8 graphics it syncs fine. EDIT 2: This happens sometimes if you have more than one version of Dolphin on your computer, since settings from the newer version can add/overwrite those on 5.0. So yeah, you may have to full reset dolphin. EDIT 3: Lovely, it's not syncing for me anymore, even after I reset all my settings.
Skilled player (1650)
Natetheman223 wrote:
Super Hero TAS
Sounds great!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4463] GC Spider-Man by Natetheman223 in 25:34.27
Natetheman223
He/Him
Experienced player (600)
I actually did commentary for this run some time ago at a marathon, along with a friend of mine. If it could be added to the publication along with the commentary tag, I'd appreciate it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qy5JQlywv8