(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Aims for fastest time (by input)
  • Manipulates luck
Recorded with FCEU 0.98.16, but will work in any version.
I spent a week continuing Acmlm's disassembly and found out how the cards work. After another week, I found the optimal delays for this strategy and manipulated time at the naming screen better to minimize delays.
This movie is about 3 seconds faster than the published version and 1 second faster than hero of the day's trading strategy. Similar to hero's strategy, I use trading, but in a way that is completely unexpected.
I won't give the strategy for suspense. If you really want to see what it is before watching, a near-identical strategy is somewhere on a message I posted at this forum.
What I will say is the following:
  • I found out that using Player 2 was better in terms of minimizing delays.
  • I spend a couple seconds on the naming screen. Why? Using the card searcher program (monopoly.cc) I created, I found out that the desired combination occurs after some 2500 executions of the random function RndFunc1. I also found out that although RndFunc1 usually executes once per frame, the naming screen executes RndFunc1 multiple times, depending on RndCount1, and that pressing A will reset RndCount1.
  • The name I enter isn't just for show. Because pressing A will reset RndCount1, I press A at optimal times, which results in pressing A four times, plus "OK".
  • The delays in the game were minimized with a separate delay searcher program (monopolysolve.cc). It took me a whole week to search the timing of every action in this strategy. I extensively used the (monrngtriv.cc) program to find the "distance" between two random seeds.
  • Interestingly enough, the current source for (monopolysolve.cc) was a result of a lot of tweaking to get the desired result. The delay searcher program accommodates a few different strategies, to increase the chance of a solution turning up. There is a part where I must manipulate three CPU rolls at once, so it would be stupid to try and find it manually. After tweaking to correct a timing error, I found a solution, then tweaked the source a few more times before I was satisfied with the result.
Delays:
cards: 1+136+0 (strategy-dependent here) first turn: 0+3+0 cpu turn: 2 second turn: 15+0 cpu 3 turns: 3+7 (I think)
Source to programs (not very neat): http://rapidshare.de/files/30535975/monopoly_source.zip.html---
See HomePages/FractalFusion/Source/Monopoly for source.
Thanks to Acmlm for his part of the disassembly.
Enjoy the movie!

adelikat: Accepting for publication. Publishers should note that most people (including me) voted for this run to be published along side of the existing run.

FractalFusion: After a long time of trying to decide, I have decided to cancel this submission for a few reasons:
  • For Monopoly, there isn't much point to fastest input anymore.
    • This submission can be beaten by a less entertaining run by 8 frames.
  • Trading is not a good strategy. Lack of "controlling the CPU" is one factor. Arbitrarily setting the price is another.
  • Most other facets of this run are encompassed or extended by submission #1199.
  • The only thing that really remains is bizarreness. Publishing bizarre sub-1-minute runs is not indicative of what the site's goals should be.
  • Having two Monopoly runs published is also not indicative of what the site's goals should be.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1166: FractalFusion's NES Monopoly in 00:27.08
Former player
I gotta say, that's some impressive stuff. Good job.
Zoey Ridin' High <Fabian_> I prett much never drunk
Active player (253)
Finally, a Monopoly run worth watching.
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcuV2JdaBYY]Streets of Rage 3 (2 players)[/url]
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
faster, but controversial. The published run takes advantage of player 2 without any decisions from that player. This is more conceptual and kinda about the game. This run manipulated the cpu player instead. And quite frankly just shows how foolish the cpu is (which is not hard to do). While the strategy kicks ass, i'm not sure it makes for a better run. Some might also see it as an issue that the player doesn't go bankrupt until much later compared published run.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Senior Moderator
Though I've found it hard to fully enjoy the movie itself, I enjoy the concept. And I like how the actual game continues for so long after the input being stopped. Masterfully done! And of course it is a yes vote.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
I love these monopoly videos. Amazing how quick these computer AIs can be beaten using extreme luck manipulation.
Active player (277)
I love the giant hammer that pounds the buildings into existence.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Active player (405)
Heh. So the actual movie file is faster, but the recorded AVI would be much longer than the existing run. It's a faster run, but it's not.
This movie rocked my nuts off. I think the old Monopoly vid should remain since it's so different.
Player (88)
Wow, that was cool. Very nicely done FractalFusion! I remember when you first posted that strategy, and I was skeptical. You proved it to be a very efficient strategy. I am voting yes, but I don't know if this should obsolete the other monopoly run. Maybe both could be published because they both show different ways of manipulating luck.
They're off to find the hero of the day...
Impressive work done to discover how to perform this strategy. A clear yes, though I suggest a separate movie as well.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Experienced player (612)
Yes Vote. Looks good and different than the other one currently published and I also think that this one shouldn't obselete the current one (if it is published) since it's not the same strategy but I guess you couldn't say the same thing about other games' runs, could be quite a dilemma.
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
This is so different from the current video, and I find it quite humorous! I put a yes vote down, but please keep both Monopoly videos.
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
Just make sure that a big "movie input stopped" message is displayed on the avi.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Thanks for the comments. I understand that this movie is very different from the published run. In my movie, I can arbitrarily set the trade money to whatever I like, and the CPU makes some poor money decisions, even though it is extremely unlucky. The published run is more definitive, gets to the point, and doesn't need to trade. The published run actually has more luck-manipulation, although it does not manipulate three rolls at once after end of input. I wonder how many Monopoly movies we really need. I am thinking of trying to make a movie that bankrupts multiple CPU players.
Active player (432)
Either way, this run displayed a different strategy and I enjoyed it even though it went so fast that I hardly understood what the hell the author did in realtime. Voting Yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Ok, I am on board with the 2 runs idea (I think this will be the first time I vote for multiple runs of anything ;p). I want to clarify that it is NOT the different strategy but the different goals. This run bankrupt the CPU monopoly character. Acmlm's run is a more "pure" (probably a better word here) bankrupt that does not depend on any decision from the 2nd player. So I am voting yes. I am intrigued by the thought of a multple player run. Though, I too think that might get excessive. But I still want to see it :D
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Banned User, Former player
In short, Acmlm's movie (ab)uses luck manipulation to bankrupt the other player, and this one (ab)uses horrible AI. I am also voting for two published runs.
Perma-banned
Former player
adelikat wrote:
I am intrigued by the thought of a multple player run. Though, I too think that might get excessive. But I still want to see it :D
Acmlm vs FractalFusion? would never end!
Banned User, Former player
You could just ack the rohm so that two of the CPUs are named Acmlm and FFusion, then just set them loose in a 2P CPUvCPU game. (actually, I wonder how much money you could generate on a monopoly board, if all you did was run past Go and get the "Collect x$ money" cards)
Perma-banned
Active player (405)
Okay, I voted yes on the grounds that this would not obsolete the other video.
with all the positive comments i guess ill finally watch a monopoly run =p btw completely unrelated but i always thought it would be cool to make a movie where the player would get every single terrain / hotels everywhere with the computer not getting a single terrain but staying alive (hello jail & community/chance) until the player completes this.. basicly get 1499/1500 of the CPU's money as fast as possible and him getting many +$ cards to help finance you ( but never enough to bankrupt him until you have everything ) you should try making that movie fractal... would involve a lot of extreme luck manipulation i'm sure =p see how many turns ahead you can end the movie =)
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
AngerFist wrote:
Either way, this run displayed a different strategy and I enjoyed it even though it went so fast that I hardly understood what the hell the author did in realtime. Voting Yes.
Yeah, I definitely watched it in slow motion the first time!
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
Active player (405)
Heh. You guys are slow readers. I completely figured out what happened... the second time....
Active player (325)
That was great. I really liked seeing the CPU take so long to self-destruct without any further input from the player.