Submission Text Full Submission Page
How do you do! My username is FVDTsuyosa. I am a pupil in PRC. I tried to make a movie on TASVideos. SMB2J_Warpless, I used a mushroom in 1-1. I also beated Bowser Koopas in every Castle. However, my English is not very good. I don't know how to introduction. I have a network friends on Baidu. He's HappyLee. He's very powerful on Super Mario Bros.TAS. He has many submissions on TAS of Super Mario Bros.
   This is my first movie on TAS. Hope you like it~!

Critical_five: Added Dailymotion module.

mmbossman: Claiming for judging over the weekend. I've taken a look at this submission, compared it with the currently published SNES run, and come to 3 conclusions: 1) This run lacks a lot of the content that the currently published run does; 2) The only new content that this run adds when compared to the published run is the flagpole glitch and a couple different walking through wall locations (which make up a very small percentage of the movie); and 3) The stylistic choices in this run are neutral to slightly worse than that of the current run (I particularly don't like the repetitive jumping while facing backwards, except in the stages with flying fish). Considering this, I think it's obvious that this run shouldn't obsolete the SNES version, and I also don't believe it provides enough unique content to warrant a separate category for SMB2(J), so I'm setting this to 'rejected'.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2843: FVDTSUYOSA's FDS Super Mario Bros. 2(J) "Warpless" in 21:26.92
Expert player (2453)
Hey, FVD, what brings you here? Nice work, the first SMB2J FDS warpless movie ever! It seems very improvable to me. Yes vote.
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Editor, Player (67)
Hi, FVDTsuyosa. I would like to point out that there is currently no "warpless" branch for publication of FDS SMB2J. If you want to TAS this game, you should probably work with the "Lost Levels" version in Super Mario All-Stars. The current publication for that is here.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Expert player (2453)
Hi, Dacicus. I prefer SMB2J warpless doing in the FDS version, so does andrewg. There can be both publications in our site, I think.
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Player (70)
Voting YES on this one. Very good executed, and entertaining at the same time. Is it possible to see a continued run with the fantasy world 9 included? Cheers
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Welcome to tasvideos, FVDTSUYOSA! I won't be voting until I see an encode, but it is good to finally see such a run being submitted.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Dacicus wrote:
Hi, FVDTsuyosa. I would like to point out that there is currently no "warpless" branch for publication of FDS SMB2J. If you want to TAS this game, you should probably work with the "Lost Levels" version in Super Mario All-Stars. The current publication for that is here.
In addition to this, I would also suggest that you use Luigi instead of Mario, as there is no published Luigi Warpless run.
Previous Name: boct1584
Post subject: Encoding...
I'll encode that in SD. Edit: Wait, FVDTSUYOSA, what's your real number of re-record? Edit 2: SD encoding done: Dailymotion MediaFire Edit 3: Before I vote, I'd like to know why you didn't complete the 9th world.
Hiya, FVDTSUYOSA. Personally, I think this is the version the current "100%" run shoulda been done on instead of the SNES version. I'm voting yes, because it looks very well done. Personally, I would like to see the 9th world done.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
The run looks technically very well done, but I'm unsure it really warrants to have its own publication next to the SNES run, especially because the SNES run shows more off the game. Not gonna vote on this one.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
You need to complete the game 8-9 times to get the extra worlds. However, you could get round this by using SRAM.
Banned User, Player (142)
I like it better than Cpadolf , nothing else that can use the glitch in the game and not are the levels A-1, A-2, etc I Yes vote
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
Editor, Active player (296)
Mitjitsu wrote:
You need to complete the game 8-9 times to get the extra worlds. However, you could get round this by using SRAM.
Actually, in the FDS, no such thing as SRAM. The data is saved directly onto the floppy disk (the disk image file, which also contains the game).
Active player (308)
Bisqwit wrote:
Mitjitsu wrote:
Actually, in the FDS, no such thing as SRAM. The data is saved directly onto the floppy disk (the disk image file, which also contains the game).
He didn't mean it literally... floppy disks don't come with RAM memory. He meant SRAM as "Save RAM" or simply "Saved Data"... EEPROM and Flash aren't SRAM either, but we call them like that anyway.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Editor, Active player (296)
pirate_sephiroth wrote:
He didn't mean it literally... floppy disks don't come with RAM memory. He meant SRAM as "Save RAM" or simply "Saved Data"... EEPROM and Flash aren't SRAM either, but we call them like that anyway.
And what I meant is that FDS saves don't come with a neat separatable unit that stores the saved data. It is written directly into the original game image, akin to a ROM patch, which modifies the original game.
Banned User
Watching this on full screen made me dizzy.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Man, this submission hasn't been getting enough attention, has it? Anyway, the run is not as entertaining as SMB1 warpless, since there aren't as many tricks like the vine glitch or shell glitches. However, the stages themselves are pretty awesome, and the difficulty makes it more interesting. This doesn't seem to be quite as good as HappyLee's warp-full run in World 8, but it's still certainly good, and I would be in favor of publishing this alongside our current runs. That also invites other people to compete and improve it.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
I agree with mklip2001 - this submission hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as it should. I just now got around to watching the encode and I have to say that this is very well played. I have never played the original NES version of this game and I feel that it is sufficiently different than the Mario All-Stars version that it should be published as its own game. I also have a somewhat vested interest in seeing more FDS games, seeing as I'm one of a very few number of people who have published runs for that platform. :) This gets a strong Yes vote from me. Well done, FVDTSUYOSA! ... I don't know how to pronounce your name, but good luck nonetheless! A.C. ******
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
Experienced player (822)
scrimpeh wrote:
I'm unsure it really warrants to have its own publication next to the SNES run, especially because the SNES run shows more off the game.
This is pretty much what I'm thinking at the moment. Yes, the SMB2J version is the original while the All-Stars version is a port, but the currently published movie has a lot more content. And while I am not an expert on the technical quality of this movie, when HappyLee says a Super Mario movie looks quite improvable, I tend to believe him. So, if we already have a run of the same game, but with more content and higher precision, is there a reason to have this published? EDIT:
dwangoAC wrote:
I have never played the original NES version of this game and I feel that it is sufficiently different than the Mario All-Stars version that it should be published as its own game.
Care to expand on why you feel it is "sufficiently different" than the all-stars version?
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
mmbossman: There's a lot more hopping in this one. Flags are always tagged at the bottom when possible instead of wherever. Sections where Mario does stuff like walk through walls are completely different. I'd say this deserves publication for sure. Maybe later after both movies have been optimized more, if they can be proven to be nearly identical they can be merged.
Experienced player (822)
I'll watch both versions side by side this weekend to see what I think.
Experienced player (822)
scwizard wrote:
mmbossman: There's a lot more hopping in this one.
I don't find that to be a positive.
scwizard wrote:
Flags are always tagged at the bottom when possible instead of wherever.
Considering the currently published lost levels movie is a pretty good optimization effort on an older movie, I doubt that the flags were tagged "wherever", but the flagpole glitch is missing in our currently published SNES version. By chance, does anyone know for sure if the flagpole glitch works on the port?
scwizard wrote:
Sections where Mario does stuff like walk through walls are completely different.
I missed this, could you point out specific levels? (EDIT: Saw one in 4-4) From my perspective right now, this publication has less content and worse stylistic choices (imo) than our current movie, while only adding the flagpole glitch. If I can get some examples of other specific differences I'll definitely take a look at those.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
mmbossman wrote:
scwizard wrote:
mmbossman: There's a lot more hopping in this one.
I don't find that to be a positive.
Agreed.
but the flagpole glitch is missing in our currently published SNES version. By chance, does anyone know for sure if the flagpole glitch works on the port?
I don't know it for certain, but the flagpole glitch was well known at the time Cpadolf did his movie. Surely it occurred to him to try it out.
while only adding the flagpole glitch.
I think its worth noting that this is the most significant contribution this movie makes compared to the published movie. And it is well demonstrated in the exact same way in no less than 6 other movies on this site.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!