Wow, I've wanted to finish this run for a while. I used to play JPB as a college kid, extensively. JPB is a what happens when the Star Wars Universe collides with Double Dragon.
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses Death to save time
  • Uses shortcuts
  • Contains an entertainment/speed trade-off.
  • Did NOT use Lua
  • Used the Force, Luke

General Notes

I TASed this game using my XBox360 controller, to do the analog control. This game is painful to TAS, because the camera moves constantly, which changes the direction Obi-wan moves while holding the analog stick in the same place. Thus, I was constantly fighting the camera to produce direct lines of movement. Also, Battle Droid and etc fire is avoidable by taking sharp curves, which is why I occasionally have erratic movements.

Trade Federation Ship

"Iz that Wegal?" - I play quite a bit with the first boss. I race, I run, I jump, and I demonstrate how useless he is. Also, after the first boss, I use an invisible platform to jump through the piston, saving me from having to take the normal route. The bombs hitting the second boss would be impossible to replicate in real-time.

Swamps of Naboo

"Yousa thinkin people gonna die?" - After the droid ships roll out, I grab the midway marker, and run off the edge of the screen. This gets rid of Jar Jar, who'd I'd otherwise have to wait to run across the entire screen.

City of Theed

"This has not been our day for warm welcomes." - The first big jump is a shortcut that bypasses the staircase to the right. You have to jump from the very small sticking up platform on the banister to achieve that jump. I do have to waste time often, as I can't scroll the screen to far before the hand maiden is counted, or else she will disappear. I need to save 7 of the 8, so I skip the one on the rooftops - mainly because she takes forever to run far enough to count.

Theed Palace

" I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war." - The first part of the level contains one of my favorite shortcuts I discovered. I use a small part of the base of a column to jump up to the next level, saving having to take the long way to the left or right. Another shortcut involves jumping on to the column to the crypt.

Tatooine

"I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. And not just the men... but the women, and the children too." Ironically, the only Sand People that die are right in front of Anakin. This was required by the game, and also great... foreshadowing? No major shortcuts. Also, once you deal enough damage to Darth Maul, you have to wait until the music crescendo to board the ship.

Coruscant

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you." - This is my favorite level of the game, both in the TAS and just playing. I took many shortcuts in this level. First, after the boss destroys the ship you are ridding, you have to jump to a 2nd platform. There are 2 blue Greedos, the southmost you have to destroy to get a ship to raise, making the next jump possible. However, I shortcut this by jumping on the very small railing, and making a 2nd jump from there. Another minor shortcut comes after I kill the 1 blue greedo, my only kill the entire level. Normally, you have to wait for the ship to raise from below. A well done jump allows you to make the entire distance up, and hang from the edge.

Ruins

"No giving up, General Jar Jar, Mesa think of something." I found one major shortcut in this level by accident. After you defeat the first round of battle droids, if you use the cliff to run forward and disappear, you can bypass the 2nd set of battle droids. Normally, the game forces you to stop, and take on 3 Battle Droids and a Commander.

Streets of Theed

"F#@$#$ing autoscrollers." Really, this is a pretty bad level, as you don't actually need to shoot any BattleDroids. I hold X to reach maximum speed, and maintain it.

Palace Cliffs

"Stay in that cockpit." While you only need to save 5 of the 6 pilots, the level ends immediately after saving the 6th. Thus, I take out each of the six rooms as fast as possible. Also, the order chosen was to maximize the use of all the power-ups. The 2nd set of Droidekas is by far the hardest enemy in the game. They block nearly everything (including reflected shots.)

Final Battle

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge" - You will notice that Darth Maul blocks a ridiculous number of attacks. First, I had to attack during these times to manipulate Darth Maul's attack. He has a pretty well set pattern, and the way to advance him past his next planned action is to attack and have him block. Only some of his attacks are interruptable by Obi-wan's slash attack, so I had to advance him to one that I could actually attack during. Otherwise, all of DM's attack combos exceed Obi-wan's block meter, and result in damage. Also, when using a force powered attack, I will take damage to match damage to DM. Finally, I hope someone notices what I did special in this fight.

Suggested Screenshot

Actual Suggested Screenshot

adelikat: Accepting for publication.
Aktan: Processing... may take a bit...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2851: DarkKobold's PSX Jedi Power Battles in 46:31.18
Wait, so you did not use Mace Windu? And people are supposed to vote yes on this movie? Interesting. I used to play this with one of my buddies, but never got very far; iirc the camera and jumps raped our health too much :( I look forward to viewing and voting ;)
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Skilled player (1636)
Sticky wrote:
Wait, so you did not use Mace Windu? And people are supposed to vote yes on this movie? Interesting.
I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to vote No for silly reasons. And you will know my name is DarkKobold, when I lay my vengeance upon thee. In all seriousness, Obi-wan is the 2nd fastest Jedi, but Adi Gailla hits like a wet noodle, so she is useless against Darth Maul. Plus, Mace Windu doesn't even have a purple saber in this game. Finally, canon!
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
No purple lightsaber, eh? This disappoints me. I do seem to remember the guys having some stats, so understandable for the lack of use... still Mace is a Bad Mother Fucker.
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote:
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
Can someone provide an encode please?
GabCM
He/Him
scrimpeh wrote:
Can someone provide an encode please?
I want to, but I'm not able to encode PSX games. So, I'm letting anyone who can to do it.
Publisher
Mister Epic wrote:
I want to, but I'm not able to encode PSX games. So, I'm letting anyone who can to do it.
Letting he says, like you have any say! =p
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I remember making it as far as Tatooine, and getting stuck on a series of jumps outside Mos Espa. Also waiting on an encode.
Previous Name: boct1584
Skilled player (1670)
I can have an encode up and running in a few hours (Will probably be done when I wake up tomorrow), if I find someplace to upload it to. My dropbox is kinda out of the question as it commits suicide when there's too heavy traffic, and I'm not gonna bother to register at some site for this to work. Yes, lazy. EDIT: Give me 3 more hours with this. By 3, I probably mean 4.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Skilled player (1670)
I have no idea how to share archive.org-links but here goes \o\ http://www.archive.org/details/DarkkoboldsPsxTasJediPowerBattle Have fun. Make no complaints about the file format, size or quality or this is the last PSX-encode I bother to do.
Warp wrote:
Active player (276)
Thanks for the encode Cardboard. Having played this game myself, I know how tricky some of the boss battles can be. It might not be full of flashy tricks but its still technically a very solid TAS. Yes vote from me.
Skilled player (1636)
Thanks for the encode, Cardboard! I guess I'd better finish my submission text soon.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Too bad you couldn't have taken at least 1 swing at Jar Jar in the swamps. A good entertainment tradeoff IMO. In coruscant, is it actually possible to make him fall to his death, or was that massive manipulation?
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote:
This game is quite long, and basically consists of running (though badass running, since he's carrying a saber) and boss fights. Still, you made the fights quite entertaining and I enjoyed it. Yes.
For your viewing pleasure, I put Cardboard's encode on Dailymotion: Link to video
Good job on this, I'm somewhat surprised that the sound is audible. But for the official encode, I just want to point out that the mz experimental plugin might give an interesthing result for HD/youtube.
Publisher
BadPotato wrote:
Good job on this, I'm somewhat surprised that the sound is audible. But for the official encode, I just want to point out that the mz experimental plugin might give an interesthing result for HD/youtube.
I don't know what resolution Cardboard did his encode, but from what I've capture, it's a weird native resolution. I predict it will probably be close to 640x480 resolution when I do the encode. Also, I highly doubt it, but if eternal SPU syncs well enough, most of the sounds will be there.
Skilled player (1636)
Sticky wrote:
Too bad you couldn't have taken at least 1 swing at Jar Jar in the swamps. A good entertainment tradeoff IMO. In coruscant, is it actually possible to make him fall to his death, or was that massive manipulation?
I actually took a few swipes at him during the Swamp's Boss Battle, at the same time as using him as a Gungan Shield. The Boss's death Coruscant is actually pretty easy to do on the console, except he pushes you off, so your jump back has to survive. This actually happened to me by accident while testing things in the run.
BadPotato wrote:
I tried it, and the run syncs, but JPB is at 30 fps, and the GPL forces 60, so it is unwatchable using that plugin. However, its been hard enough on encoders just to do a PSX run, so I'm happy with the 2 I'm getting.
Skilled player (1670)
Aktan wrote:
I don't know what resolution Cardboard did his encode, but from what I've capture, it's a weird native resolution. I predict it will probably be close to 640x480 resolution when I do the encode. Also, I highly doubt it, but if eternal SPU syncs well enough, most of the sounds will be there.
Fairly sure I used 640*480. Mine wasn't meant to be looking great, syncing with sound or whatnot, it was just meant for people to be able to watch the run so the judging process can be sped up.
Warp wrote:
Publisher
Cardboard wrote:
Mine wasn't meant to be looking great, syncing with sound or whatnot, it was just meant for people to be able to watch the run so the judging process can be sped up.
Oh I know, you did a good job at that =). The sound should be synced, what syncing I was talking about was input sync. In earlier versions of PCSX (including the one DarkKobold used) sounds were disabled to keep input sync, hence why there are missing sounds. When using a SPU like Eternal that does not have missing sounds, the input starts to desync with movie playback.
The run looked optimized enough... except for one question. In the Theed Palace, after waiting for Amidala to catch up and running past the Droideka (around 17:50 in the encode(Thanks, Cardboard!)), you make a single jump and grab onto the edge of the spiral ramp. Would a double jump not have been able to make it all the way? Aside from that, I loved watching Coruscant getting broken to hell, and I did catch the special extra at the end. ;P
Stuffs. Yarr!
Scepheo wrote:
The chance of choosing the right door is 0, because laser-absorbing goats will brainwash you.
Skilled player (1636)
Edward_Tohr wrote:
In the Theed Palace, after waiting for Amidala to catch up and running past the Droideka (around 17:50 in the encode(Thanks, Cardboard!)), you make a single jump and grab onto the edge of the spiral ramp. Would a double jump not have been able to make it all the way?
That actually works by forcing the screen to scroll. While a double jump would make up the distance, the screen wouldn't actually let me move that far. Something about the way a hang/recovery works, forces the screen to scroll. The same thing happens at the beginning of City of Theed, when I do a single jump to the balcony. The hang/recovery forces the screen to scroll, allowing a transition that "shouldn't" happen.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Thanks for the encode, Cardboard! Once I finally was awake enough to watch this run properly (I tend to watch a lot of runs shortly before bed), I enjoyed it. The scenery changes enough to keep it from being repetitive, and the dodging seems impressive. It was really funny to watch Darth Maul running away between phases of the final battle but you were right next to him... sort of like Darth Maul told you to race him to a tree or something. Anyway, yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Red Jedi needs food badly! Dodongo hates smoke X) It was an interesting run, though a bit on the long side for a beat-em-up. Always good to see another PSX tas, though!
Working on a mod of an old favorite in my spare time. PM for updates!
mklip2001 wrote:
... sort of like Darth Maul told you to race him to a tree or something...
Link!
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote: