Post subject: New idea for WIP advertisement.
Skilled player (1636)
A good point was raised in IRC - that WIPs are rarely watched, because no one bothers to check all of the subforums, threads, etc, to see if a WIP is posted. What if we had 1 mega-thread, which any person could post a WIP/encode, and then link to the discussion? Any discussion within that thread would have to be deleted by mods - every post in the thread must contain a WIP (possibly require an encode?) and a link to the discussion of said encode. No text allowed in these posts either. Moderators, such as myself could easily cull any discussion in that thread.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
I'm adelikat, and I approve this idea.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1885)
Sounds like a good idea.
This works both ways, I tend to ignore things that are megathreads because the quality is usually low. But considering this is TASVideos, I don't really expect so much low quality stuff, heh.
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
I'd already say the thread was a success for me--I had no idea that there was a Jazz Jackrabbit run out there! And of course, the SMW2 WIP is just amazing. I like this idea.
Banned User, Former player
Flygon wrote:
This works both ways, I tend to ignore things that are megathreads because the quality is usually low.
This particular megathread might work much better because it would be a distillation of the interesting content (in other words, the WIP videos themselves), rather than 10% being the interesting content and 90% being useless natter, as usual in huge threads.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
Just make sure the WIPs also get posted to the corresponding game threads.
Post subject: Someone use the subject headers, too!
Editor, Skilled player (1171)
There's the subject header in posts. True, they're small and sort of out of the way -- Who noticed the "Someone use the subject headers, too!" I put as my subject? Regardless, might not be a bad idea to put a useful note in there. Take a look at Critical five's posts, the header is getting use there! System, game name, length of WIP, something. If someone actually looks there, why not show something of value? Besides, TASVideoAgent tells the IRC channel what the subject is, right? Just a thought about making use of that tiny bit of text.
Active player (308)
Why instead of posting dumb embedded players there, why don't you just post the youtube player in the correct thread for the game and put links to them in that WIP thread. And make an RSS feed for it. Simple isn't it?
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
pirate_sephiroth wrote:
And make an RSS feed for it.
This gave me an [wiki WorksInProgress]interesting idea[/wiki] (mostly an excuse to reuse the topicfeed module, but whatever).
All of the embedded videos mean that whenever I load the WIP thread, my computer grinds to a halt for a few minutes. Now, I'll freely grant that my computer is five years old, but it's not that clunky (2GHz dual-core / 2GB RAM). Could we just link to the video instead of embedding it in the page? Odds are that the vast majority of page loads are only going to care about the last post in the thread anyway, so loading all the earlier videos is pointless.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Banned User, Former player
Derakon wrote:
Could we just link to the video instead of embedding it in the page? Odds are that the vast majority of page loads are only going to care about the last post in the thread anyway, so loading all the earlier videos is pointless.
Another possibility would be that the flash player is loaded only on demand, like with the movie info boxes.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
sgrunt wrote:
pirate_sephiroth wrote:
And make an RSS feed for it.
This gave me an [wiki WorksInProgress]interesting idea[/wiki] (mostly an excuse to reuse the topicfeed module, but whatever).
I approve.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Sorry to revive a topic. I think the abandonned or completed WIP should be deleted from the topic?
Skilled player (1636)
niamek wrote:
Sorry to revive a topic. I think the abandonned or completed WIP should be deleted from the topic?
Completed, I can agree with. Abandoned? Maybe someone will be interested in seeing it, if they attempt their own run? Also, how can anything ever be 'abandoned' versus put on hold indefinitely? I have enough projects like that, lol.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Skilled player (1306)
I was just looking at the WIPs in the WIP thread when suddenly, I got an idea. Why dont we make one single youtube channel specificly for WIPs? It would be far easier to keep track of instead of searching through multiple channels of different users. This could also help sort out all the completed runs from the WIPs since if a run is complete, you could just delete the video.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Sonikkustar wrote:
I was just looking at the WIPs in the WIP thread when suddenly, I got an idea. Why dont we make one single youtube channel specificly for WIPs? It would be far easier to keep track of instead of searching through multiple channels of different users. This could also help sort out all the completed runs from the WIPs since if a run is complete, you could just delete the video.
That'd require a lot of coordination between the encoders, something I'm not sure is possible.
All the best, Brandon Evans
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Brandon wrote:
Sonikkustar wrote:
That'd require a lot of coordination between the encoders, something I'm not sure is possible.
Especially since quite a few TASers who make runs for this site speak different languages like snark (who posted Paper Mario WIPs) and the Japanese SM64 TASers.
If there was a YouTube channels for WIPs, there would have to be a channel with ALL the encodes of the published movies.
I am the future ruler of the world! My forum: http://elderyoshisisland.forumotion.com/