• Aims for fastest completion
  • Heavy glitch abuse
  • Manipulates luck
  • Doesn't corrupt save data
Emulator: VBA-rr v20, it doesn't sync on any other version
Well, I was bored and decided to improve the published movie by 10 frames.
The rival battle could've been faster. In fact, when I started the run, I improved it, but getting to Viridian in less frames got me terrible randomness. I need to encounter a Lv2 Pidgey to do the glitch optimally and the way the RNG works, I couldn't get it without a massive loss of frames in that occasion. So, I left the battle untouched and improved the movie after it.
For those who are not familiar, Doko Kashira Door is one of the many Select button bugs that occur in the first japanese versions released, and is the fastest known way to complete the game apart from save data corruption.
I had to use v20 because it's the only version that emulates the glitch. This is unfortunate, because it doesn't have Lua scripting implemented, which could be used to shave more frames by manipulating a faster rival battle that generated good randomness for the wild pokemon encounter.

The glitch

Doko Kashira (where am I?) is a game-breaking bug on the japanese versions of Pokémon. It occurs because the programmers forgot to disable the flag for switching items or pokemon when the menu is exited in battle. This was fixed later in the (J) v1.1 release and subsequent (U) releases.
Because of this bug, it's possible to force a lot of garbage data into the game's RAM, making it go nuts. The trick abused here is to switch the 2nd item in your inventory with the first pokemon. That somehow destroys the end marker for your party and the game starts overwriting data in other portions of memory. The useful fact is that it decreases the map ID of the destination of certain doors everytime you walk four steps, this is used to get from the rival's house to Celadon and from there to the Hall of Fame.
This isn't everything about the glitch though, it may occasionally change the coordinates of a warp, change the graphics of a block of four tiles and remove their wall status, and sometimes the game may simply crash or KO your entire party.
In the run, the fight menu is clicked because it's necessary to avoid the game killing you. It's necessary to encounter a L2 Pidgey when doing the glitch. All other pokemon that appear there, except L2 Rattata, make the game crash when you take the shortest path back. Rattata's cry is longer than Pidgey's though, encountering it would make the run longer.

GabCM: Added YouTube module.
Flygon: Added point-based YouTube module, Mister Epic, you deserve that name, because you're friggin' epic! *hugs the epic Epic tightly* :3!
Flygon: Just some formatting related business regarding the modules, should look cleaner now.
Also, added download link for point encode, I encourage GabCM to upload my point upload to his Archive collection, as well as his HQ encode.

Nach: Accepting as improvement to existing run.
sgrunt: Since nobody else has apparently done a standard encode of this, I'll do so. Apparently I missed GabCM's encode. Either way, this will be published as soon as I grab a screenshot. Can't use GabCM's encode - it has a bad aspect ratio flag. I'll encode this myself as previously stated.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
GabCM
He/Him
SD encode Archive collection Video file (MP4, 3.5 MB) HD (HQ4x+HQ2x) encode YouTube ^ In the author's comments.
When I click on "Link to video" for the HQx-Based HD encode, it takes me to the run for Wario Land 2.
The forum has been bugging up again. The submission text is updating, but not the forum. It is fixed now. Yes vote due to improvement of an already great run. YouTube HD (point) encode download Mister Epic, are you able to upload the HD encodes to your Archive collection?
Onyx3173
She/Her
Voted yes, too short to not be entertaining and improves the current run. Also, I tried to play Mister Epic's encode and Flygon's encode at the same time, almost got them perfectly synced. Made it slightly more entertaining.
I am a figment of my imagination.
Skilled player (1086)
It's been a while since I watched the old run so this was great. It never ceases to amaze me how glitchy the first generation is. Voting yes.
I somehow managed to get both encodes perfectly synced on my first try, sweet. Yes vote for improvement. For some reason I found the "debug players" part of the credits very funny. :> It would have been really cool if you had managed to save 13 frames since the current submission claims to be within 13 frames of optimal, but 10 is pretty good, too. EDIT: Oh! I'm not a newbie anymore. Nice.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Thanks for the encodes, Flygon and Mister Epic! As for the run, it's nice to see a short glitch like this improved. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
I didn't understood the glitch, but I'm pretty sure that what was behind the door was not what the programmers intended. Voting yes!
No.
Voting yes! Watching this gave me that same feeling the improvement to the Pokemon Yellow glitched run gave me. The improvement wasn't much but it is still amazing to see these glitches again and improved.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1639] SGB Pocket Monsters: Green "warp glitch" by p4wn3r in 04:24.37
Skilled player (1705)
Can this movie be obsoleted by the Yellow TAS? It is not a vaultable goal, and it seems possible to do save corruption on the original red/green versions as well.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
No, towards jlun2. Dokokashira door is a glitch which is only exclusive to the Japanese version of Red and Green. Remember this, I only wrote Red and Green. Japan's Pokemon Blue is our Blue and Red. I don't remember the story behind Yellow but it came out after Blue and that was also a game which fixed a few glitches from the other versions.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Skilled player (1705)
Spikestuff wrote:
No, towards jlun2. Dokokashira door is a glitch which is only exclusive to the Japanese version of Red and Green. Remember this, I only wrote Red and Green. Japan's Pokemon Blue is our Blue and Red. I don't remember the story behind Yellow but it came out after Blue and that was also a game which fixed a few glitches from the other versions.
This is not a vaultable goal. It doesn't matter if it's exclusive if it's possible to beat the game at a even faster time.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
There are no “No” votes, this should just be published normally.
Skilled player (1705)
ALAKTORN wrote:
There are no “No” votes, this should just be published normally.
I think it's better to check the entertainment ratings, but it seems most of the raters were non-public, so I have no clue if it's heavily divided, or most people rating this at ~5-7.
N._Harmonik
She/Her
The YouTube vid doesn't exist anymore.
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
Spikestuff
They/Them
N. Harmonik wrote:
The YouTube vid doesn't exist anymore.
Checks Still Exists: Link to video
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Skilled player (1705)
So...is there any verdict on this? I got reminded of this when a new pokemon TAS was submitted.
Editor
Well this is in a similar boat to FractalFusion's old Pokemon Gold run. It must be either lifted to moons or obsoleted, and the first option is the lesser of two evils.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Let me remind you. You bypassed my statement on your case jlun2 and ignored it or that you chose to ignore it. The only way this TAS can go if someone updates Pokemon JAPANESE Red/Green or that we can accept it to go to the Moon it doesn't have to go to the moon.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Skilled player (1705)
Spikestuff wrote:
Let me remind you. You bypassed my statement on your case jlun2 and ignored it or that you chose to ignore it. The only way this TAS can go if someone updates Pokemon JAPANESE Red/Green or that we can accept it to go to the Moon it doesn't have to go to the moon.
I'm not exactly ignoring you, just that it seems the reason noone is making a save corruption run is because there's thinking that the yellow one is alright, and this is allowed to live rather than making a red/green save corruption TAS. >.> I was suggesting yellow to obsolete this one. Edit: Or at the very least clarification on it's vault status. That's the main thing bothering me anyways. Since the vault is not to just throw TASes regardless whether or not it could be fastest.
Patashu
He/Him
If this gets moved to moons, can the old Chrono Trigger 21 minute memory corruption TAS be moved to moons on the same justification? http://tasvideos.org/Movies/ObsoletelyFabulous.html It's both more entertaining than this by far and any logic that would move this to moons would move that to moons too. Thanks!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I believe the decision was that the 21 minute Chrono Trigger one can't be a current publication because it relies on inaccurate emulation to do the save glitch that's central to the run. It's unfortunate, as it was really entertaining.
Skilled player (1705)
Sorry to bump this, but Link to video Now that there's video evidence of the save glitch possible in (J), can this be obsoleted?