Submission Text Full Submission Page
Part 2Playlist
HappyLee: I'm helping Mars to submit his SMB2J warpless run, as a partner and a designer of the mushroom trick in 1-1 which is used as my input in this movie.
This is a real SMB2J warpless run, which includes world 1-9. I stand for the warpless run should be done in the original FDS version instead of the SNES version.

Goals:

• Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Warpless including world 9
It's also an improvement over the rejected submission of FVD, 409 frames faster before entering world 9. It has chosen a strategy to get the mushroom in 1-1 and to get the flower in 1-3.
The re-record count of this movie is obviously wrong, due to his mistakes while inputing, but this run is worth to watch.

Flygon: Added YouTube module.

Nach: This run doesn't seem special enough to be published alongside our existing SNES run for this game. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2874: mars's NES Super Mario Bros. 2 "warpless" in 25:09.31
Post subject: Re: #2874: Mars's NES Super Mario Bros 2 "warpless" in 25:09.31
Experienced player (822)
I stand for the warpless run should be done in the original FDS version instead of the SNES version.
Noted. Why should the rest of us feel the same?
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Expert player (2453)
It's just my advice. You're the judge, and you decide which one's better.
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I feel that a run that doesn't complete as much of the game as the Lost Levels run, i.e. including Worlds A-D, might not be the best replacement for what we currently have. I am wondering if there is a way to use a save state or similar to allow access to those worlds in an FDS run.
Post subject: Re: #2874: Mars's NES Super Mario Bros 2 "warpless" in 25:09.31
Experienced player (822)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
T I stand for the warpless run should be done in the original FDS version instead of the SNES version.
My previous post disappeared (or not, it seems), so I'll be a bit more polite. We have a run with more content that plays through the same levels, plus some. Can you explain why you think we should have another movie that play through fewer levels, just because it's on the 'original' platform?
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I can think of one reason. The engine between the NES and SNES versions is a bit different. Many glitches which were possible with the NES version are no longer possible with the SNES one. Of course, the question is does this run take advantage of that, and if so, is it enough to warrant being its own publication?
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Another reason for preferring the NES version would be that the SNES version has extra animation of Mario pausing at the castle doors whenever he ends a level. That extra time adds up over the course of the run. This may be a minor annoyance, but it's worth pointing out. Just to check: do we actually have Mars's permission for this run to be submitted? Also, HappyLee, great job working with new TASers! Whether or not this run gets accepted in the end, the work is definitely impressive.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
I'm personally all for this run. The engine is different enough from the NES edition to ensure uniqueness, and the timings regarding things are different anyway. I give it a moderate Yes vote. Nothing more, nothing less. Consider a HD encode coming right up.
Banned User, Former player
sgrunt wrote:
I am wondering if there is a way to use a save state or similar to allow access to those worlds in an FDS run.
Just change the "loops completed" byte to 8 or more.
Perma-banned
Editor, Player (68)
I don't get the argument against similar games for different platforms. These old platforms were wildly different, making the games very different. These games are different. Does it really hurt to have a different game that looks and sounds similar but is distinctly different? Does it make sense to reject it because it's on a different platform - especially when, like this case, the games are actually titled differently? I would like to see all worlds on the FDS version. I'm not an expert in Mario runs so I can't say anything as far as technical ability in this run, but it looks good.
true on twitch - lsnes windows builds 20230425 - the date this site is buried
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Xkeeper wrote:
sgrunt wrote:
I am wondering if there is a way to use a save state or similar to allow access to those worlds in an FDS run.
Just change the "loops completed" byte to 8 or more.
I remember when hacks needed approval, a hack to do that was one of the approved ones.
Previous Name: boct1584
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Indeed that was and would be an approved hack. Until a run that plays A-D is made, I don't see a FDS TAS obsoleting the SNES one. Even then, I might be a bit skeptical.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Link to video Hi, I am a playlist.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
I can't see this replacing the Lost Levels run. A hack of the A-D worlds would be a fine replacement, but World 9 here just seems an afterthought. The swimming levels are terrible and remind me of the minus worlds in a bad way.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!