As always, I have provided a release package on my my sourceforge project. It includes the movie file, submission text, and level savestates.
This is a 9.83 second (590 frame) improvement over the previous movie by AKA. This project started some years ago by Cardboard. I got involved and we TASed most of level 1 before Aqfaq posted a WIP that had some small improvements requiring us to redo from the start. This stalled the project for awhile, but recently I picked it back up and finished it up.

Improvements

Level 1 (179 frames)

The lag counter goes crazy in this game, however most "lag" frames are not destructive because the screen still scrolls. Heavier lag is "destructive" lag in that it freezes the screen for that frame. To distinguish between the two, I wrote a lua script to count frames where the screen fails to scroll. There were a lot of misc lag frames saved in this level but the big improvement is a nice shortcut just before the boss. It involves throwing a rock then jumping on it while it is in midair, in order to reach high ledges. Thanks to aqfaq for discovering this shortcut! The boss was improved about 50 frames with a slightly different strategy.

Level 2 (5 frames)

Not much here, mostly just walking to the right, and little to no lag.

Level 3 (3 frames)

Ditto

Level 4 (185 frames)

The big improvement here is the shortcut near the beginning of the level. I use a rock to get up to a ledge rather than hopping to the left on ledges. There is also a nice damage boost shortcut done later in the screen. There are also lots of other small improvements as well.

Level 5 (218 frames)

217 of the 218 frames here was saved on the boss. Rather than jumping on the ledges and attacking the bosses head, I stay on the ground and belly flop him. The key to a fast fight is to manipulate him into doing the charging move as often and as fast as possible. The end result is awkard and sloppy looking but that is really how the boss fight needs to go down.

Suggested Screenshot

Thanks

Aqfaq - for finding improvements and tricks Cardboard - for getting the project started and getting me involved

Flygon: Replaced the Flowplayer module with a far higher quality YouTube module.
GabCM: Added a link to the HQx encode.
mmbossman: Judging soon... Judging now!.... Accepting!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2892: adelikat's Genesis Chuck Rock in 08:51.43
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Your submission text appears to be broken - particualarly the "!" header (edit: this was fixed)
The Submission Text wrote:
As always, I have provided a release package on my my googlecode project. It includes the movie file, submission text, and level savestates.
All I can find in your package is the movie file. Am I doing something wrong?
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
NitroGenesis wrote:
Your submission text appears to be broken - particualarly the "!" header (edit: this was fixed)
The Submission Text wrote:
As always, I have provided a release package on my my googlecode project. It includes the movie file, submission text, and level savestates.
It won't appear until you press upupdowndownleftrightleftrightba which makes a dinosaur appear, which you then need to color.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
NitroGenesis wrote:
I uploaded the wrong file, it has been fixed now.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Player (244)
The only time I've ever seen this game played was by the (painfully unskilled) kids on Nick Arcade. So it's... a big improvement from that!
Active player (276)
Unga bunga!
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Wow, spectacular improvements. I wasn't expecting the mid-air rock jump at the end of level one.
Since I replaced the Flowplayer module with a HD YouTube module, you'll probably need this post to know where the SD encode is. Archive collection Archive download
Banned User, Player (142)
I liked your improvement, vote that YES. And also I'm going to encode this movie EDIT: Will cancel the encoding because, the encoding SD already was made by Flygon
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
GabCM
He/Him
I'll do the HQx encode.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Mister Epic wrote:
I'll do the HQx encode.
Flygon already has! That's what is embedded in the submission.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
GabCM
He/Him
adelikat wrote:
Mister Epic wrote:
I'll do the HQx encode.
Flygon already has! That's what is embedded in the submission.
It's not an HQx encode. It's a Point-based HD encode. And I won't embed my encode in the submission text this time. I'm thinking of including a link instead. However, it will be embeded in a thread reply and in the upcoming publication.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
This was pretty nice to watch. The rock-throwing shortcut in Level 1 was quite cool, and I really like the new last boss fight. The second boss fight feels a little slower, but I may just be seeing things. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
I've never seen the appeal of this game. It just looks horribly dull. Voting meh for game choice.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
GabCM
He/Him
Well... here it is. Link to video
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Nice improvement. Yes vote.
Player (116)
Me watch run. Me like face chuck rock make when take damage. Me like chuck rock. Me vote yes.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1660] Genesis Chuck Rock by adelikat in 08:51.43