A fat man is kicked out of his own castle, and goes on a rampage to reclaim said castle.
Note: While mike89 didn't directly contributed to making this movie, he was listed as coauthor because most of the routes originated from him.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: VBA23
  • Fastest Time
  • Manipulates Luck

Comments

The run was made into existance when shortly after the publication of the previous run, AndyD discovered a faster, more optimized route at the second stage. He also came up with the brilliant idea of using the routes made by mike89 in his 100% run, and modifying them to work in the Any% run. Lastly, he discovered how the Final Boss's Run energy works, which helped in shortening the battle.

Stage by stage comments

Turn off the alarm clock!

No improvement due to lacking input.

To the castle!!

This stage has been changed to resemble mike89's 100% run. The 3rd and 4th rooms are the only ones in this stage that were not based on mike89's run. Also, it was a complete coincidence that the dime appeared at the last room. Saved - 114 frames.

Storm the castle!!

The pausing in the room with the firefox is due to AndyD's discovery that pausing allows the enemies to move during a screen transition, allowing the critter to move closer to the pots. By the end of the stage, thr run is 168 frames ahead of the previous run.

Defeat the giant spear man

While doing the run, we noticed some of mike89's routes were actually slower than his routes made in the Any% run. So we combined them together, and ended up 194 frames ahead of the previous run.

Go through the grand hall

Same as above,this stage combines the routes from the Any% run with the 100% run. By the end of the stage, it is 266 frames ahead of the last run.

Kick 'em out!

The most noticable thing is that the Boss ran out of energy earlier, and without pausing. This is due to AndyD's discovery of how the Boss depleted his energy, so with careful manipulation, we were able to exhaust his energy faster than before. Admittingly, the boss could've been stopped earlier, but this happens.
For anyone who wants to attempt this in the future, these are the addresses for the final battle:
  • C037 - Energy 1 : Can't be manipulated (1 byte unsigned)
  • C038 - Energy 2 : Can be manipulated (1 byte unsigned)
  • C036 - 7 Frame Timer before the boss could be hit (1 byte unsigned)
  • C025 - Boss Horizontal Position (1 byte unsigned)
Also, there's a 4 frame rule to everything, so you either save 4 frames, or lose 4 frames.

Other comments

We would like to thank mike89 once again for his tricks and timesavers. Without him, the time saved would not be possible.
Screenshot Later.

sgrunt: Replaced the submission with a version 25 frames faster.
Flygon: Added YouTube module.
klmz: Accepted as an improvement to the published movie.
Flygon: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2909: jlun2 & AndyD's GBC Wario Land II "any%" in 08:07.83
Yes voting as an improvement of a currently published run. Encoding in SD and HD.
Active player (301)
There's no need to list me as co-author for this, the reason it was done on eg. Sonic 3 is because large parts of the previous author's input still existed. Unless that's the case here, and I don't suspect that it is, I shouldn't be listed as an author. I really like some of the new room strategies, I wish I had thought of stuff like the third room in 2-1 (since I had already worked out that continuous jumping in a two-block high space was far slower than straight dashing, but of course once your timer runs out you don't have a choice). Definite Yes vote. Have you guys given any thought to taking on the 100%?
Editor
Wario always makes me happy. He gets the money and doesn't care about the girl. Yes from me.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Former player
I would like to congratulate jlun on his hard work. We had been working on the improvements for about a month now. The progress had been really slow as we were both busy IRL. I still think there is room for some improvement, it's just a matter of finding them. But I know that a lot of the screens are now perfectly optimized, unless there is a new movement/dash/glitch yet to discover. I was a bit sad that I couldn't find anyway to bypass or cut down the cut-scenes, which take up about 30% of the input time at the start. But I kept telling jlun not to publish it yet as I kept finding possible improvements.
Active player (490)
Really nice run, yes vote.
Skilled player (1706)
AndyD wrote:
I still think there is room for some improvement, it's just a matter of finding them. But I know that a lot of the screens are now perfectly optimized, unless there is a new movement/dash/glitch yet to discover.
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Also, there's a 4 frame rule to everything, so you either save 4 frames, or lose 4 frames.
Uh....I managed to save 2 frames at the first part of Stage 2 - 1, which due to the frame rule, ended up saving 2 more frames. I was unable to hex edit the final batte back in, so please excuse me while that particular part is redone. Sorry for the encoders (Flygon) who now have to reencode the run.
Banned User, Player (142)
YES voted and encode in HD
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
Former player
jlun, it's only 2 frames leave it for at least a month until we can find at least a seconds worth of savings
mmarks wrote:
mmarks... it is already HD encoded. Though, won't embed yet until I can confirm wether or not the submission will be replaced. The current upload is now set to Unlisted for the same reason.
Banned User, Player (142)
Flygon wrote:
mmarks wrote:
mmarks... it is already HD encoded. Though, won't embed yet until I can confirm wether or not the submission will be replaced. The current upload is now set to Unlisted for the same reason.
Well, right now I'm uploading the encoding HD to YouTube and to MediaFire, to end this
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
mmarks wrote:
Flygon wrote:
mmarks wrote:
Well, right now I'm uploading the encoding HD to YouTube and to MediaFire, to end this
jlun2 wrote:
I'm sorry Flygon, but I found out a mistake that cost some frames. Please don't upload the encodes yet to youtube. Sorry!
This came to my PM box while I was sleeping. Do not upload any encodes to YouTube unless they are Unlisted or Private.
Skilled player (1307)
Seeing both movies side by side, I can tell that this is way more polished than the previous run. Yes Vote.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
I was originally waiting for the improvement but I watched anyway. Really good job. The Wario Land games are always fun. The pausing was sort of distracting, but that's minor so it won't affect my Yes vote.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Active player (347)
is a nice run for it in the shortest time possible. yes vote.
mkTAScommunity website: http://mktascommunity.foromotion.net/ mkTAScommunity youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/mkTAScommunity Working in Wario Land 2 and Wario Land 3 Speedruns NON-TAS My twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/vlacksr My hitbox channel: http://www.hitbox.tv/vlackSR
Editor
To be honest, I wish someone would do the long route for once. Watching Wario sleep isn't too fun. And it's a major length difference in gameplay.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
henke37 wrote:
To be honest, I wish someone would do the long route for once.
[movie 1376]You do?[/movie]
Skilled player (1706)
Originally an improvement of around 4 frames, AndyD convinced me there could be more room for improvement, which ended up being 25 frames. So I would like to thank him once more for all his work. The updated run could be found here. I'm not sure if there could be any major savings unless a new trick is found.
Why not just make a new submission and cancel this one? It's, surprisingly, a lot less pain for encoders.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Flygon wrote:
It's, surprisingly, a lot less pain for encoders.
And a lot more pain for everyone else.
Just a note, I don't tend to read submission text if I have already read the first revision. >_> Remaking the HD encode now. May consider SD (But liable to pass it onto Alexra).
SD Encode: http://www.mediafire.com/?pqr883f993il9cs They didn't exactly get much treasure.. :P
Archive collection Archive download Thanks soooo much Alexra! <3