Hello Bisqwit, it's NesVideoAgent here.
I created this pseudo-submission from movie #628.
I hope you don't mind ;)
(Don't reply to this message - it is automatically generated.)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1230: Bisqwit's NES Batman in 11:31.75
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [628] NES Batman by Bisqwit in 11:29.40
Editor, Player (67)
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Post subject: Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Famtasia!
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
So due to Bisqwit not recalling how the original encode was made all these years ago and the only reference I have is Dacicus' downloadable this needs to be pointed out. During the final fight at Joker Bisqwit fails to advance into the credit sequence, instead Batman stays dead in its tracks. Checking over how the input is placed it seems intentional that the input ends after the final hit, but what occurs after such as going straight to the credit sequence without additional input is unknown. This TAS/Game doesn't run into a desync issues I checked both the other Famtasia TASes to be sure. It's straightforward for a Famtasia TAS. Rather than modifying input provided, I took the alternative approach of extended the input, as the case of the input ended too early being the case. User movie #47283525293912320 I'm requesting that the movie file to be corrected to the file I'm providing as well as that TAStime. Without the original encode that was made we don't know if there was additional input done manually by the encode (Bisqwit) was made or not.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Post subject: Re: Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Famtasia!
Editor, Active player (296)
Spikestuff wrote:
Checking over how the input is placed it seems intentional that the input ends after the final hit, but what occurs after such as going straight to the credit sequence without additional input is unknown.
Without submitting a statement concerning what happened with this submission, I will add for the record, that it used to be a practice in the early days of TASVideos ­— and this submission certainly qualifies — that movies do not need to supply all input to advance the ending. Instead, the extra input would be supplied by the publisher. This was possible as long as the necessary input would be trivial, such as in Rygar where you just press a button at any time of your choosing, to flip the page in the ending scene. The purpose of this compromise was to put a line between skillful & speedy performance and a cutscene/ending, so that the ending, which is not part of a skillful & speedy performance, would not have to be fast-forwarded, but could be enjoyed in proper.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Bisqwit wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
Checking over how the input is placed it seems intentional that the input ends after the final hit, but what occurs after such as going straight to the credit sequence without additional input is unknown.
Without submitting a statement concerning what happened with this submission, I will add for the record, that it used to be a practice in the early days of TASVideos ­— and this submission certainly qualifies — that movies do not need to supply all input to advance the ending.
Are you absolutely sure it used to be a practice? Because we checked certain games that require extra input after the final boss is defeated to actually reach the ending, and as it turns out, only two movies did not perform the extra input necessary to actually reach it, this being one of them. The second one, incidentally, is also one of yours.
This was possible as long as the necessary input would be trivial, such as in Rygar where you just press a button at any time of your choosing, to flip the page in the ending scene.
Here's the thing: In Rygar, you still reach the ending, requiring just one button press to advance in it. In this game, for instance, you have to get to Joker after he's been defeated to actually get to the ending. Needless to say that by today's standards, this movie would be rejected for not completing the game proper and thus should've been replaced with an extended file that actually reaches the ending. BTW, the SRC rules for this game are also pretty clear:
Timer ends when you loose control after Jokers deathanimation and the screen starts to fade.
The screen never starts to fade with the movie file alone, unless manual input is provided.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
fsvgm777 wrote:
BTW, the SRC rules
The whole site, speedrun.com, did not even exist when this submission was created.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Bisqwit wrote:
fsvgm777 wrote:
BTW, the SRC rules
The whole site, speedrun.com, did not even exist when this submission was created.
Does it matter? On Speed Demos Archive, the speedruns are timed from when you gain control of the character (in this game, you gain control of Batman after "Stage 1-1" vanishes) until the loss of control (in this game, when the screen starts to fade after approaching Joker). Obviously, our (current) timing starts from console power-on and ends when the credits are reached without further interaction (so no manual input needed to reach the ending). I'd really appreciate if you replied to the other points I made in my previous post.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Our submissions are supposed to follow our rules. We don't care what the rules for other sites are. Please keep the discussion to what we care about and what matters for us. This run definitely has issues though if the ending cannot be reached without extra input. http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#MovieMustBeComplete
It must be able to reach the credits or end screen without requiring any further interaction; all input must come solely from the input file (e.g. configuring the emulator to autofire after the end of playback is not allowed). An exception has been allowed for Rygar.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Nach wrote:
Our submissions are supposed to follow our rules.
I would like to add that new rules do not take effect retroactively. This submission was published somewhere between April 2004 and July 2004.* Here is a snapshot of what the site rules were in June 2004. https://bisqwit.iki.fi/jutut/nesv-old/rules.html EDIT: *) Apparently in April 10th, 2004.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Bisqwit wrote:
Nach wrote:
Our submissions are supposed to follow our rules.
I would like to add that new rules do not take effect retroactively.
I think this is obvious to everyone. It's more of a question how to we deal with this particular submission with the new rules in place. Of importance here is that our encoders don't want to have to add input when they do a re-encode.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2056)
I'm willing to convert and resync this run and add the extra inputs if that will help things. EDIT: ...or not. After receiving some further details from Spikestuff, I don't think I'm the one to do this.