Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - a 3 player arcade game, where you play either a white, red, or black Michael Jackson. If you have problems telling white MJ from black MJ, its ok, he couldn't tell the difference either.
  • Uses 3 Players
  • Used Lua
  • Take Damage to save time.
  • Uses FBA v.5
About the Bootleg romset - Currently, the real version does not work in FBA; and it may never work in FBA. This means that my only option to TAS this was the bootleg rom. If FBA ever gets the real version working, I'd suggest it obsolete this version, regardless of time. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the bootleg and the real version is circles around the children.
Also, a warning to any encoders, youtube's Content ID system AUTOMATICALLY flags this video as containing copyrighted material. While they only say an advertisement may appear next to the video, it would possibly make your channel "impure" so host at your own risk.

Level 1 - Bad

This level is actually just the first part of Level 5, which is really dumb. Essentially, you start in the evil bosses lair, and then leave.

Level 2 - Smooth Criminal

This is my favorite level, as Smooth Criminal is my favorite MJ song. You'll also notice that MJ's outfit in the game comes from this music video. About the dancing - there is no audio in FBA in frame advance, and mz disabled slow down in FBAv5, so all dancing to music has to be done in real-time. Hence why it is difficult to do, and I rarely do it. That said, I had to dance to the refrain of Smooth Criminal.

Level 3 - Beat It

The dance kills enemies that would come out of the Alley, as well as the big machine. I also use the dance twice against the boss, to kill all of his turrets, which is faster than trying to fight all of them.

Level 4 - Another Part of Me

Yes, a graveyard level that doesn't have Thriller as the main theme. That drives me insane. Anyway, the dance in the first part of the level makes the helicopter go away faster, which allows me to enter the graveyard sooner. The zombies and such have pretty high health, so I have to line up shots to hit multiples. Also, note that I set the Red MJ up to dance on someone's grave.

Level 5 Bad

The final level, I try and play as much on the elevator as possible. Bad is a really hard song to dance to in a video game. Also, I use dances against the final boss, as it freezes him open during the dance, allowing me to do ~50 damage per dance, and taking him down in one round.

Credits Billie Jean

MJ can turn into a Jet! What can't the King of Pop do?

A Platform to Comment

I don't believe MJ was ever guilty of child molestation. Sure, he had some severe issues. However, he was forced into becoming a performer at the young age of 6. I think his strange obession with children was simply him attempting to recapture a lost youth.

Suggested Screenshot

Mukki: This seems to sync up for me. Judging...
Mukki: Viewer response seems particularly enthusiastic here and rightly so. This is an interesting, albeit very odd, run. Accepting for publication.
GabCM: I'm going to encode and publish as planned by DarkKobold and I. This is going to take some days.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Banned User, Player (142)
Starting HD encode
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
mmarks... I have some advice for you. Please don't HD encode this game. I won't HD encode it either. DarkKobold has actually had issues with Sony placing advertising on his WIPs and getting copyright strikes against his account due to the music that this game contains. An upload to Dailymotion should get you by, however.
Skilled player (1636)
Youtube wrote:
Copyright Info: Michael Jackson's MoonWalker in 11:50 Your video, Michael Jackson's MoonWalker in 11:50 , may include content that is owned or administered by these entities: * Entity: Warner Chappell Content Type: Musical Composition What should I do? No action is required on your part. Your video is still available worldwide. In some cases ads may appear next to your video. What can I do about my video's status? Please note that the video's status can change, if the policies chosen by the content owners change. You may want to check back periodically to see if you have new options available to you. Under certain circumstances, you may dispute this copyright claim. These are: * if the content is mistakenly identified and is actually completely your original creation; * if you believe your use does not infringe copyright (e.g. it is fair use under US law); * if you are actually licensed by the owner to use this content. I need more information. I want to learn more about the dispute process. Please take a few minutes to visit our Help Center section on Policy and Copyright Guidelines, where you can learn more about copyright law and our Content Identification Service.
Yeah, so they just flag it.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
this looks SO wrong that i had to vote yes.... also nice run, the elevator part was pretty good
Editor
I am questioning the optimization of the screen scrolling, it looks like a player is lagging behind in a few spots, especially at the end of stages/rounds. Please explain.
Active player (432)
Good game choice, I liked the run and please continue tasing arcade games :) Yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Skilled player (1636)
henke37 wrote:
I am questioning the optimization of the screen scrolling, it looks like a player is lagging behind in a few spots, especially at the end of stages/rounds. Please explain.
The way the camera works, it won't move until all enemies are cleared. Thus, a player lagging behind is often the one that makes the last kill, to force the screen forward. A good example of this is the end of level 3, when black MJ grabs the monkey to transform - that allows for the game to continue, but he is far away. It is faster to have him grab the monkey up top (that sounds so wrong), than to wait for bubbles to come to you. I should also note, that once that last enemy/monkey/child is gone, the computer takes over.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Nicos wrote:
This should be the publication screenshot!!! Also big yes vote, excellent Michael Jackson action here. TODO: insert joke about there being different colored Michael Jacksons.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
fruitbane
He/Him
Seriously fine work. I loved this arcade game. It's probably one of the better designed isometric action games, even without the Michael Jackson stuff. I swear, DK, you are the king of multi-player TASes. Have you considered taking on one of the PCE's 5-player sports games and poking around for crazy glitches?
Post subject: Re: #2943: DarkKobold's Arcade Michael Jackson's Moonwalker "3 Player" in 11:49.83
Player (244)
DarkKobold wrote:
If you have problems telling white MJ from black MJ, its ok, he couldn't tell the difference either.
=D
DarkKobold wrote:
I don't believe MJ was ever guilty of child molestation.
Have to agree with you on this one. I'm going to watch this now! EDIT: Okay, what the hell is wrong with the ending story? "He will return one day to" ...to what? The game itself is entertaining, whether TASed or not, which helps. Looks pretty optimized too. Yes!
Editor
Well, I am satisfied with the explanation. The run is good, so it's a yes vote. Also, did you guys read the credits? Guess who the designer was...
Active player (292)
wow this game is actually really awesome
Mediafire downloadable HD encode being made upon request, will also make SD encode if no one does it before me. Hit syncing issues that I cannot figure out how to fix. Optimized screenshot:
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
This was some pretty cool laser action, with giant robot MJs thrown in for good measure. The dancing also is pretty violent. Nice going. Any interest in working on the current Genesis run we have? At first, I thought this run was going to be an improvement of that.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Excellent game choice, and a truly entertaining run. I'd give it a yes if I could.
Looks good to me, though the hatspin is the least entertaining if fastest of the dance moves that I remember. I can't say that I know if it's with the "official" version, but the character portraits seem different than I remember- actually having normal skin with their different suits. Here's [Yes vote] for you!
Well, I'm giving this a yes vote. Though, personally, if the dance is in this game, I would have loved to see them make everyone do The Thriller. xD That would have added epic amounts of awesome.
Skilled player (1404)
Okay, show of hands: Who here, when watching this, sang the Weird Al versions were applicable? Your butt is wide? Well mine is, too. Just shut your mouth, or I'll sit on you!
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
This movie has so many sexual undertones that it's frightening. (Did that plane resemble a huge phallos symbol?) I vote Yes ^^
Bein' away for like five years, and not a single new post in the ZSNES forum... :'-(
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
This was great, and I agree with Mazzic, there's just so many uncomfortable sexual undertones in this game... Votes yes.
Skilled player (1636)
Could someone please attempt to encode this? It has bad audio drift problems. Needs an HD and SD encode with sync'd audio.
Here is an SD encode with sync sound, made with Flygon's parameters (umh and crf=18 as per his suggestions, though I used merange=512 even if he suggested 128): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17315175/arcademichaeljacksonsmoonwalker-tas-darkkobold.mkv Also here is another screenshot, because Flygon's one wasn't the suggested one (the kid is too far from Michael Jackson), and it wasn't optimised (still used /C2, you could shave more than 2.5kB from it with /C3): edit (as per this suggestion): File name: arcademichaeljacksonsmoonwalker-tas-darkkobold.mkv File size: 105922976 bytes MD5: f35a5c9539076b9a11dbb1da2288aea5 MD4: 4fbf7d580bb2939d7aa682a1cb4e01ec SHA1: 378e185fa968749d09d4637ff4c2f470e45ed6c1 SHA256: 1f11ec09dcfd3fe5418c6e45ecc61d03518910a8762c2b64b3b5a0ade56ce593 SHA384: 09eebaaa5d89f95d88b5eb45fa300106497d6e589a2f442c59e6fa9773c4e6216b6f5976c826ec6bb832ef94f1899f35 SHA512: a960a75651cccb71f4942c354e97ccb38608c718a43c7b317823f31327619c29529ce297c7bcbf4ae8a560eec9cfa69c81ee517b3e558ed4138325f01208750e MD2: 53f6291054587179ae83fd5dae8d4465 ADLER32: 92076fea CRC32: 80059f91 edit 2: also yes vote, it is a good movie, with nice action and (of course!) great music
Gah, everyone seems to be able to sync this game but me! It's worth noting that the script you're deriving from is outdated anyway, I use a different script for encoding nowadays anyway... though, admittedly, it's actually far looser. Also, thanks for improving the screenshot! And the advice. I'm clearly losing my touch, heh.
Skilled player (1636)
Any luck getting an HD encode?