Contra: Hard Corps is the only game of the Contra series released on the Genesis / Mega Drive console. In this game, you get to choose between four characters, each with different abilities and weapons.
This game has four completely different final stages, each with a different ending, depending on the choices you make earlier.
The Japanese version was chosen because, for some reason, it gives the players a health bar, allowing them to take some damage without dying.
Fang is used due to a glitch that allows him to deliver fully charged D weapon shots, without taking time to charge it.
This speedrun is 263frames faster than adelikat’s!!! The place mainly saved time was the doctor boss in stage 5. I used the D shoot 5 times, once more than adelikat’s. And I was at the right not left. So boss turned the third action straightly. Saved about 5 seconds. Other place I saved the time is in stage 4, before the big boss, there was a door. I used down+C once less than adelikat’s. Saved some time.
However, I wasted some time in some places. Such as the big boss in stage 1. I did the same as adelikat’s. But I was slower than his 2 frames. I don’t know why. So these places was a pity…
That’s all.

feos: Added YouTube module

Truncated: Dibs!

mmarks: Replaced YouTube module (for module HD)

Truncated: This was a nice watch. I was a bit afraid in the beginning that the playarounds were going to consist of switching weapons really really fast, but it got better. Accepted!

GabCM: Waiting for FerretFaucet's mmarks's encode...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2987: Soig's Genesis Contra: Hard Corps in 14:07.52
Former player
So the Japanese version is basically an easy mode of the US version, because you can take damage? Are there any other differences between the ROM versions? If not, this looks like a bad ROM choice to me. The other improvements sounded nice though, so I'm going give this a watch when I get home.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
It's the same ROM choice as the published run (which he copied the first half of his submission text from), so you can't really blame him on that.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Former player
Mothrayas wrote:
It's the same ROM choice as the published run (which he copied the first half of his submission text from), so you can't really blame him on that.
Oh, okay. Then it's okay I guess.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
I will make a streaming SD DONE.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Banned User, Player (142)
Starting HD encode
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Brushy wrote:
So the Japanese version is basically an easy mode of the US version, because you can take damage?
It's the other way around, actually; the US version is like Nightmare Mode of the Japanese version because you can't take damage. The game is absolutely nuts.
Previous Name: boct1584
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1469)
Yeah, I chose the same version as the published run. And I did some improvement. In stage2, the 2nd kind of foe, a robot who held up a bomb to run after me. I narrowed the distance to the robot, then I took the D shoot. Saved 4 frames. In stage 3, the big boss 4th action. I improved adelikat's scheme. Not only I jumped, but also I went right. Saved some time. In Stage 4, the 2nd boss.(two balls) I got injured to narrow the distance with boss. Saved 13 frames! And the 2nd point saved time, is the door. I did Down+C once less than the published. To make the door got injured earlier. Saved some time. In stage 5. When I met the doctor boss. I made him turned the 3rd action straightly. Saved about 5 seconds.(Not 5 minutes! I made a mistake page of submission) These were all of my improvement.
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1469)
Here should be "Not 5 minutes! I made a mistake 'in' page of submission.)
Editor
I am curious, is this route the fastest? Besides the Secret ending of course. The auto scrolling before the Dr. fight is slow and dull. I will give this a weak yes since it beat the old time.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1469)
hegyak wrote: I am curious, is this route the fastest? Besides the Secret ending of course. The auto scrolling before the Dr. fight is slow and dull. I will give this a weak yes since it beat the old time. Yes, you are right. I was a little slower than the published before the doctor boss. Because there are some places, although I did same as the publish, but I was slower. I don't know why. Like the big boss in stage 1. And the first boss in stage 4(came from the waterfall). I did the same, but I can't got the same result. So I have to did faster somewhere to try to cut down the wasted time.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
hegyak wrote:
I am curious, is this route the fastest? Besides the Secret ending of course. The auto scrolling before the Dr. fight is slow and dull. I will give this a weak yes since it beat the old time.
They're both autoscrollers, whether you choose Lab or Chase. I believe Chase is faster (it's used on the secret ending). The decision of Lab vs Chase and Fight vs Surrender leads to different endings, so for the purpose of being consistent with the published run, the same choices need to be made. I'd still like to see a run w/ the best ending (Lab/Fight, which gives you the GOOD JOB! screen instead of see you next mission).
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1469)
Oh yes. I like this way(Lab/Fight) very much. I am going to do this movie in some days.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Awesome! I know there's a generally agreement not to do all the endings on the site (since you're suppose to limit the branches, according to the rules), but I think 3 (Chase/Surrender, Lab/Fight, Secret Ending) gives the most variety while including the best ending.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Banned User
Holy wow, this run was awesome. I've never played the game before but it seemed about a trillion times cooler than the NES or SNES Contra games. Anthropomorphic wolves with bionic arms, flaming walls of death, breakdancing robots, hoverbikes that turn into ostriches, wall climbing, a boss that morphs into various constellations as well as a helicopter, among other things, ... what's not to love?
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Pointless Boy You forgot to mention the music :)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
This was pretty nice! The damage on the two-ball boss of Stage 4 doesn't look good, but I approve of saving time. I'm glad to see the doctor used a different attack; somebody had mentioned in the comments of the last published run that a different attack should be used. Also, I liked most of your style in autoscrollers. My favorite was seeing you slide over pits in Stage 5 instead of jumping them all. Yes vote. However, I do have one question: when the doctor is producing little robots, you shoot him and the robots with a weapon which isn't D. You also use other weapons in the final fight against the alien cell. Why don't you just use the D weapon blasts the whole time?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Sir VG wrote:
Awesome! I know there's a generally agreement not to do all the endings on the site (since you're suppose to limit the branches, according to the rules), but I think 3 (Chase/Surrender, Lab/Fight, Secret Ending) gives the most variety while including the best ending.
Is there any room for one of these to be a 2-player run? Also, good job on this one Soig. Looks like you put a lot of effort, found nice improvements, and made an effort to be entertaining where possible. (and I of course voted yes!)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Senior Moderator
adelikat wrote:
Is there any room for one of these to be a 2-player run?
If it makes the run faster, it should be done on a faster route. If it makes the run slower, then on the slower route, I suppose. In any case I support doing other routes because this game kicks ass and deserves more content.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1469)
mklip2001 wrote: However, I do have one question: when the doctor is producing little robots, you shoot him and the robots with a weapon which isn't D. You also use other weapons in the final fight against the alien cell. Why don't you just use the D weapon blasts the whole time? When the doctor produces little robots. In fact, the HP of doctor can't be damaged. And I use the A shoot in order to shoot the little robots. And in the final fight, I used the B shoot aginst the alien cell only two times. Because it can saved a little frames. And the published run used the same shoot, too. All in all, I did the same as the published here.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Thanks for the answers, Soig! This sounds pretty good. As for another run, I think it would be cool to see a Lab/Fight run with 2 players. There's no way 2 players could be as fast as 1 player, because weapons are weakened in power with 2 players (especially Fang's D weapon), but 2 players could be pretty entertaining when showing a new route.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Encoding now.
Skilled player (1469)
陈立杰,how to contact with you?
Do the work.
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1469)
Well. Can you speak Chinese? If you can speak Chinese, we can use it. Because my English is much worse than my Chinese. I use the baidu Hi. Do you use it?
Senior Moderator
You can PM each other on these forums, just so you know.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.