Submission Text Full Submission Page
Our unnamed hero is trapped into a magical world of monsters and magic, but prefers to run through the 30 stages of the game instead of fighting for his survival. Eh, what a wimp. This movies focuses on avoiding enemies like plague and getting as fast as possible to stage ends, while making sure that the next stage will be a treat.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Dega 1.16pre1
  • Fastest playthrough
  • Takes damage to save time
  • No item used

Comments

Wow, after so many years, it's a relief to both at least make a proper TAS and see this game which was so hard to beat when I was a child finished without any Dragonslayer or Power suit. Nor Game Over.
Dragon Crystal is a random-generated dungeon RPG on the SMS filled with bad engrish, where you have to find the exit of the 30 stages before finding the crystal ball on the 30th stage which lets you end the game. The game's difficulty becomes outrageous after only a couple stages, and getting through the whole game can become extremely difficult, as it is insanely random. The stages are filled with swords (your weapon), armors (well, your armor, also changes the sprite of the character at some points), potions (healing, removing poison, but also making you sluggish, paralizing you, etc), staves (magic attacks, getting to the next stage, but also removing a level or summoning a monster), scrolls (removing cursed items, providing a map of the stage, teleporting you randomly, etc) and rings (many passive effects, good and bad), but you don't know what they do (or if weapons/armors are cursed) until you use/equip them. They appear as "Red" or "Brown" staff or potion as you get them, and yes the colors for each item changes at each game. I don't use any item nor even get anything from the ground, not even food (which is automatically used every x steps, or sometimes stolen by monsters, and helps you regenerate if you stand still and pass turns, pressing the 2 button).
The "yellow thingie" following you is a dragon egg, which evolves as you level up (by getting experience you get by obviously killing monsters). Sadly, he doesn't do a thing but is very useful for blocking the way as you know it will always get on the tile you just left, and you can sometimes avoid monsters using the egg/dragon to block the way.
Each next stage is generated randomly depending on which frame you walk onto the exit. A solid part of the speedrun is spent waiting for a "good" next level, with an exit easily attainable. Thankfully, as the game is pretty short, it's ok to try and miss, testing on each frame you get onto the exit if the next level will be ok or not. An innocent eye will also not notice how I ramble around some enemies to make sure I don't get attacked by them. Yet it happens twice in the first stages, but these were the shorter available routes compared to other routes in these levels.
Please make sure to notice that the ending is glitched. This glitch happened to me several times on different emulators (notably Meka and SMS Plus for the PSP), but also on real hardware: sometimes the game simply crashes, sometimes it restarts, sometimes it crashes during the ending. Sometimes, well, I get the ending. I don't know yet what causes this glitch and if it can be avoided, but everything that I've tried on this run hasn't been successful.

Other comments

This run isn't long and hasn't needed many rerecords (346 says the movie, but it may be wrong as I've read on the forums about Dega), but it's my first original TAS, and I'm happy to have done it on a video game I've always loved and on which I spent so much time as a child. Also, it focuses on efficiency and doesn't gives much freedom for doing impressive feats, but well, some games just don't allow it much.

sgrunt: Replaced the submission file with one that does not begin from save state. Note that this run uses the Doze core. Also added YouTube module.

DarkKobold: Claimed

DarkKobold: What I see happening, is the 'final objective' is achieved, and then the game crashes. As far as I can tell, there is no guaranteed relation between the two. In other words, suppose someone could possibly figure out a way to crash the game at the opening menu, which caused a similar visual result. If that happened, would that movie qualify as completing the game? I'd say no. Simply because the final objective happens at the moment the game crashes is not sufficient to consider the game 'completed.' After giving this a lot of thought, I'm rejecting this movie as incomplete, as we have another submission of this that does complete the game.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2997: Synahel's SMS Dragon Crystal "Glitched ending" in 01:18.20
Banned User, Player (142)
Starting HD + SD encode. Canceled for moment
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
ALERTS POSSIBLY COMPROMISING MOVIE INTEGRITY: MMV file begins from a snapshot Ok about it and after rambling a bit: I have saved/loaded numerous times at start (from frame 0) to make sure the first level I get is the one I wanted. But if there was a savestate intended from which the game was loaded (and thus from where this movie starts), it's at frame 0. I have been trying to recreate the exact same intro sequence that in the movie (starting input at from 53 from start) from scratch, and I get the exact same number of frames used. So I suppose this should be ignored, I thought that if I loaded from a savestate at frame 0 it wouldn't be a problem. Sorry for that, next time I'll know better.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
If the movie started from frame zero, there's a chance that just removing the save state from the file will fix it. I'll look into it.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Thanks a lot!
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Sub file fixed for those that don't read the sub text. I'm also encoding this. EDIT: SD: http://www.mediafire.com/?qdzcajza5c096a5 SD 512kb (for later archive.org streaming): http://www.mediafire.com/?mujc0iefvjh8f3o YouTube HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5YecDoXNM In any case, I thought this was boring - it's another run along the lines of [movie 1485]Azure Dreams[/movie] or [movie 1012]Fatal Labyrinth[/movie] but on older hardware. There's a certain amount of luck manipulation that needed to be done to get it to this point which is redeeming, but that's not enough to save this from a Meh.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Yeah, that's a bit "meh", it's not very interesting, but well it's how the game is made. Anyway that's mostly a first try from the novice I am!
GabCM
He/Him
I'd vote No for the game choice, since it looks boring, but seeing this run destroyed the game at the end made me vote Meh.
Skilled player (1306)
Hah, That was absolutely hillarious. Voting Yes, for the anticlimatic ending.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
I lol'd at the ending. Yes vote.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Oh, what an ending. Yeah, I'll vote yes because it was short enough not to get boring.
Editor
We need a new category for abusing generated levels.
darkszero
He/Him
I saw the ending and my expression changed to "wat?". Also, it's funny how the music lags when changing levels. Yes for being short enough to not tire.
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
How could you turn thegame into an Atari?? Well, voted Meh, because even if it's really short, it's boring to watch him going always do the same thing in each level =P Kudos for the ending, really \o\
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Player (183)
Voted Yes, because its reminds me a lot of GEN Fatal Labyrinth and Glitch END.
My main objective here is to TAS the most obscure games titles!
Skilled player (1636)
I would rather have seen this go to the real end, and I'm waiting for the possibility of a real-end movie to cast my vote.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
The ending makes this great. Definite yes.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Short enough to be impressed by the luck manipulation, and the glitched ending was great. Yes vote.
Previous Name: boct1584
I might be a little out of line for saying this, particularly given the differences in length between this movie and my example, but if this movie should be rejected due to being boring even with the luck manipulation, then shouldn't King's Bounty have been rejected too?
This is only a little obsessive.
RinKaenbyou wrote:
I might be a little out of line for saying this, particularly given the differences in length between this movie and my example, but if this movie should be rejected due to being boring even with the luck manipulation, then shouldn't King's Bounty have been rejected too?
I think the difference is that the King's Bounty movie is really just a weird ending, whereas this movie is sort of the opposite, as it's a minute of weird gameplay followed by a non-ending. They're like two stanzas in a poem. I vote yes because I like poetry, and anyone who votes no is a smelly poetry-hater.
Oh, play it cool. Play it cool. Here come the space cops.
Skilled player (1705)
RinKaenbyou wrote:
Well, I thought it was pretty hard to get bored from watching a 9.93 second video, and like what goldfish said, this run is wierd with a strange (non)ending and is also alot longer, along with being repetitive.
small movie, a lot of luck manipulation made me think of the ehrgeiz stair simulator, yes vote from me (also, your nick sounds familiar, do we know each other ?)
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
I suppose you might think of Mothrayas, but we aren't related. Thanks!
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
This is definitely more interesting than the latest Ehrgeiz submission, since the music changes, enemies are prominent, and the stage doesn't always look the exact same. I'd say this is a wonderful little bit of apparent luck manipulation that belongs on the site. However, I do not know if the current "ending" is considered valid by site rules. (For a good example of an odd glitch at the ending like that, adelikat's first submission of an Earnest Evans run had a game-ending glitch that was used in lieu of proceeding to the credits.) Is it possible to get a valid game ending by delaying the last action slightly?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Yes, I managed to get a proper ending by delaying getting in the last exit by 60ish frames.