Our unnamed hero is trapped into a magical world of monsters and magic, but prefers to run through the 30 stages of the game instead of fighting for his survival. Eh, what a wimp. This movies focuses on avoiding enemies like plague and getting as fast as possible to stage ends, while making sure that the next stage will be a treat.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Dega 1.16pre1 w/ Doze core
  • Fastest playthrough to get an unglitched ending
  • Takes damage to save time
  • No items used

Comments

This submission follows the "Glitched ending" one, in order to beat the game without making the world tearing itself apart.
Dragon Crystal is a random-generated dungeon RPG on the SMS filled with bad engrish, where you have to find the exit of the 30 stages before finding the crystal ball on the 30th stage which lets you end the game. The game's difficulty becomes outrageous after only a couple stages, and getting through the whole game can become extremely difficult, as it is insanely random. The stages are filled with swords (your weapon), armors (well, your armor, also changes the sprite of the character at some points), potions (healing, removing poison, but also making you sluggish, paralizing you, etc), staves (magic attacks, getting to the next stage, but also removing a level or summoning a monster), scrolls (removing cursed items, providing a map of the stage, teleporting you randomly, etc) and rings (many passive effects, good and bad), but you don't know what they do (or if weapons/armors are cursed) until you use/equip them. They appear as "Red" or "Brown" staff or potion as you get them, and yes the colors for each item changes at each game. I don't use any item nor even get anything from the ground, not even food (which is automatically used every x steps, or sometimes stolen by monsters, and helps you regenerate if you stand still and pass turns, pressing the 2 button).
The "yellow thingie" following you is a dragon egg, which evolves as you level up (by getting experience you get by obviously killing monsters). Sadly, he doesn't do a thing but is very useful for blocking the way as you know it will always get on the tile you just left, and you can sometimes avoid monsters using the egg/dragon to block the way.
Each next stage is generated randomly depending on which frame you walk onto the exit. A solid part of the speedrun is spent waiting for a "good" next level, with an exit easily attainable. Thankfully, as the game is pretty short, it's ok to try and miss, testing on each frame you get onto the exit if the next level will be ok or not. An innocent eye will also not notice how I ramble around some enemies to make sure I don't get attacked by them. Yet it happens twice in the first stages, but these were the shorter available routes compared to other routes in these levels.
In order to get a proper working ending, the last level had to be delayed by a few frames, making the run a bit longer, yet providing the real ending (with its glitched credits, yep, these still happen sometimes but the game doesn't crash anymore). As mentioned on the "Glitched ending" comments, these endgame glitches happened on real hardware.

Other comments

This run is less optimized than the glitched one, but by only 20-ish frames, but provides a real ending. Yet, it's still very short and not very entertaining, mostly due to how the game is beaten.

Flygon: Added YouTube module because I am evil.

DarkKobold: Also claiming.

DarkKobold: First off, I'm biased, because this is my kind of TAS; it manipulates luck to skip a majority of the game. As mmbossman would say, "What is interesting about this movie is what you don't see." I'd agree with that. Secondly, I feel since the previous incomplete version was submitted first, this version didn't get a fair shake, and would have been better received had that version not been submitted. Thus, I am accepting this run.
Also, it should be noted, that further submissions to this game should make sure that the game is completed, i.e. the ending shown in this run is achieved.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3003: Synahel's SMS Dragon Crystal in 01:18.20
Short and sweet, SD and HD encode coming up. Yes voted... a bit cautiously, due to the unoptimizism of the TAS admitted by the author.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
This run is less optimized than the glitched one, but by only 20-ish frames, but provides a real ending.
I think he's just equating frame count with level of optimization.
Previous Name: boct1584
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Indeed, 19 more frames for this run. Other than the last 50~ frames, it's the exact same strategy and recording.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
You should be aware that a higher frame count does not always mean the movie is less optimized. In this case, the frame count is higher because you needed to take more time to reach a non-glitched ending, and the movie is exactly the same as the "Glitched ending" submission other than that; therefore, it shows approximately the same level of optimization. Now, if you submitted another movie of the glitched ending, and it was the same length as THIS movie, THAT would be less optimized, because you would be taking longer to reach the same result.
Previous Name: boct1584
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
I see, thanks for clarification.
Skilled player (1636)
I asked Rayas to submit this, because I want to know which version people prefer.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
Meh, I prefer the glitched ending run. The wtf-factor of the ending is basically what made the run funny.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Watching this game was horrible. It looks like Bad Rom Check.
No.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
For the record, I prefer this to the other submission, but I still vote Meh for the same reasons.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Nice. I'm fine with either submission, but this one feels better to me, as it actually completes the game. The glitched credits are somewhat amusing too. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
GabCM
He/Him
Sadly, my only Yes factor of this run got vanished in this one. No vote.
I don't get why people say this is so unentertaining. If it was longer than 5 minutes, I'd get their point. But for me, I was still occupied with stuff like "wtf is this kind of game?" and "oh, so the maps get smaller as he progresses?" while watching the run, so I didn't find it too boring. The applied strategy may not be very entertaining by itself, but as the run's so short anyway, I don't see that as a problem. I found this slightly more entertaining than the other submission and I'd suggest the glitched credits as a screen shot where it spells "GAGA".
I think it's short enough to warrant a publicatoin. Very nice RNG abuse.
Player (183)
Sure the run is funny man, desserves a Yes! even adding the ending since I'm a lot interested in game ends. Edit: I suggest as screen shot, The Hero walking on the last floor almost reaching the artifact while the dragons are chassing him.
My main objective here is to TAS the most obscure games titles!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1737] SMS Dragon Crystal by Synahel in 01:18.20