• Aims for fastest time of two players
  • Genre:Adventure
  • Emulator Gen11b
  • 2 players
  • Take damage to save time
  • Using glitch

The game

Squirrel King

Squirrel King is a platform video game produced, without license from Sega, by the Taiwanese developer Gamtec for the Mega Drive. Gamtec is also responsible for the development of a number of other games, including many for the Gamate handheld system.
It appears to be loosely based upon Capcom's Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers video games for the Nintendo Entertainment System, sharing its gameplay mechanics, although it is not licensed by Disney. As in the aforementioned game, the main charecter must to throw crates at the enemies in order to defeat them.Sometimes crates have helpful things like extra fireballs, extra lives, and health boosts. Other times, they have "power-downs" that reduce the player's health. Despite some animation issues, this game is considered to be of professional quality.
This game was eventually used as the basis for the unofficial Mega Drive Super Mario World game. Some of the levels in this game have their background music based on that of the Super NES video game Donkey Kong Country.

Super Mario World

Super Mario World, also known as Super Mario Bros. (both titles appear in-game) is a hacked version of Squirrel King that uses ripped graphics from Super Mario Bros. as well as newly drawn sprites to make the Squirrel King characters look more appropriate in the Super Mario world.Despite its overhauled appearance, the gameplay was unchanged, so - unlike the original Super Mario Bros. game it resembles - Mario and Luigi are unable to stomp on enemies, and must instead throw crates at them. However, the producers only managed to finish the first two levels. The rest of the levels are identical to Squirrel King with Mario and Luigi sprites.
Since the game is in the English language, it is assumed that it was intended for an international audience. While Bowser is still breathing fire, the boss screen involves split screen gameplay instead of using a single screen. It takes at least eight hits from randomly appearing crates and/or fireballs to defeat Bowser. The music in the boss fights of the game are not reminiscent of any Super Mario Bros. game and were leftovers from the Squirrel King ROM.

Summary

There are 3 glitches in this game that I discovered.

(1)2 players running together can go through the boxes. (2)2p can pick up 1p at the top of the screen when 1p is on the moving thing. (3)Long time for death. running from the middle of the screen to the right will cost 51 frames.

Level 1

It will not decrease the life before drop out of the screen.So I don't have to die in the 1st stage.

Level 2

Using death to save time.

Level 3

Using death to save time.In the boss battle,death may increase 6 items to beat it completely.

Level 4

Using death to save time.

Level 5

Using glitch that 2p can pick up 1p at the top of the screen when 1p is on the moving thing.

Level 6

It is not necessary to use death.final route don't use death that can collect the items to kill the boss and at first can take 2 hits which damage the boss.

Level 7

Using death.Kill the boss in the left of screen to finish the run.

GabCM: Added a YouTube module, sir!

DarkKobold: I'll judge this. Good two player action, good audience response. As much as this game ripped of from Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers, Donkey Kong Country, and Lion King, the game play was unique and interesting enough to make for a good run. Accepting.

GabCM: Just found some time to publish this. Thank you mmarks for bringing what I need to publish.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3004: X2poet's Genesis Squirrel King in 17:18.62
Squirrel King? Sounds interesting. I'll start a simple encode when I get the chance. My fail encode is here. [Link removed due to being crappy]
I like Doraemon
Dwedit
He/Him
The amazing thing about Squirrel King is that for a bootleg Genesis game, it has much better music than most commercially released Genesis games. Granted, some of the tunes are stolen, but still well-executed.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Meh. This game shows nothing better than true NES Chip 'n Dale. Also it doesn't sync on Squirrel King (R) [!].gen Only on Squirrel King (R) [f1].gen
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1470)
I download this rom from [moderator edit].On that page it calls Squirrel King (R).bin.So....
Do the work.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
awesome run. yes vote.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Yeah, this game is pretty much a Rescue Rangers ripoff. I mean, the squirrels are even named Chip and Dale. It's a shame the bosses take so many hits to beat though... it makes the strategies for fighting them fairly uninteresting. However, the platforming in the stages is pretty good. I have one question, though, before I vote: Would it save more time to die more in Stages 5 and 6 instead of in Stages 3 and 4? It seems like you have to wait a lot longer for objects in Stages 5 and 6.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Skilled player (1637)
mklip2001 wrote:
However, the platforming in the stages is pretty good. I have one question, though, before I vote: Would it save more time to die more in Stages 5 and 6 instead of in Stages 3 and 4? It seems like you have to wait a lot longer for objects in Stages 5 and 6.
I was thinking the same thing.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
GabCM
He/Him
How about I make encodes for this? (S+HD)
^ Considering that the audio in mine goes ahead of the video, yes please.
I like Doraemon
GabCM
He/Him
Skilled player (1470)
mklip2001 wrote:
Would it save more time to die more in Stages 5 and 6 instead of in Stages 3 and 4? It seems like you have to wait a lot longer for objects in Stages 5 and 6.
Actually no.In LeveL 5 if one player die the other cannot land on the safe place,and the item will not enough to hit the boss.I must roll the map to show the safe place,and dying cannot drag the map.On the balloon,from the left to the right,no metter how the map rolls,it will cost same 100+ frames,but the map cannot rolls if the player which run before the middle of the screen. And,it still must wait for the other player to roll the map's y-position.So if I choose dying,both of the players must die together,also have not enough items.Y-map cannot roll before the X-map rolls completely,so dying is also a wrong choice. Stage 6-1&6-2,it is not necessary to die.at the time waiting for the other player,map can roll by the left player's movement.6-3 if I die,I cannot take two hits at the first of boss battle,and use death will take one player die in the boss battle to add the item.
Do the work.
Yes vote, just because of Simian Segue. xD Although I'm not so sure either if this couldn't have been improved through better death management. Edit: Wait, no, it's not Simian Segue. Zophar's Domain has it mislabeled, it seems. Does anybody know what that song is actually called? (the Donkey Kong Country Main Theme)
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
x2poet: That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Now I'll vote Yes.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
GabCM
He/Him
That's quite entertaining. It gets a Yes vote from me. Did you know that game was the base of that pirated Mario Genesis game?
Skilled player (1470)
I only know something about the connection with Mario World.
Do the work.
Experienced player (699)
uhh wait, chip n dale? why isn't it called chip n dale? EDIT: now I'm just having fun naming all the rip-offs here. Really, trying to pass them off as squirrels is just ridiculous... I should notify disney of this. And then it has DKC music? What the crap? lol @ sonic-like end sequence screens too. This game. I feel like it's a quiz. Which games have been ripped off in the following game? Song at the graveyard is the same as the song from the graveyard in lion king (SNES). Super Mario World - ending
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Kuwaga wrote:
Does anybody know what that song is actually called? (the Donkey Kong Country Main Theme)
Donkey Kong Title Theme
I guess I'll throw in the Yes vote, as I've been waiting so long.
I like Doraemon
Post subject: For publish
Banned User, Player (142)
Descrimption: Squirrel King is a platform video game produced, without license from Sega, by the Taiwanese developer Gamtec for the Mega Drive. Gamtec is also responsible for the development of a number of other games, including many for the Gamate handheld system. It appears to be loosely based upon Capcom's Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers video games for the Nintendo Entertainment System, sharing its gameplay mechanics, although it is not licensed by Disney. As in the aforementioned game, the main charecter must to throw crates at the enemies in order to defeat them.Sometimes crates have helpful things like extra fireballs, extra lives, and health boosts. Other times, they have "power-downs" that reduce the player's health. Despite some animation issues, this game is considered to be of professional quality. Look at the author's comments This game was eventually used as the basis for the unofficial Mega Drive Super Mario World game. Some of the levels in this game have their background music based on that of the Super NES video game Donkey Kong Country. Archive.org Torrent Dailymotion SD YouTube HD
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1741] Genesis Squirrel King "2 players" by X2poet in 17:18.62
What a knock off game! If this game existed today, there be lawsuits up the ass XD
Former player
Did anyone notice the names at the end are off by 2? It looks like they meant to put Chip and Dale as the first 2 characters to walk across the screen, but forgot to, so the first 2 enemies are labelled Chip and Dale instead. So similarly, for all of the other enemies to walk across. For example, towards the end, Candle and Ghost occur 2 after the candle and ghost enemies.
Player (122)
This game is very interesting,and I also like this game of music.
Editor, Publisher, Player (46)
4K 60 FPS YouTube encode: Link to video