(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
A simple, but hard platformer based on a movie of the same name.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.1.4
  • No Continues/Deaths
  • Fastest Time
  • Contains Elevator Action

Comments

I started this run because VBA is undergoing an update/upgrade. I chosed this run because the AVGN reviewed it. This game took a week or so to TAS. Since all the levels feature alot of walking, I tried jumping to make the movie less boring.

Stage by stage comments

Hotel

The game starts off in a hotel where everyone wants you dead. I spent some frames to obtain the "DART GUN" so that I could avoid taking damage when returning to the elevator. I also obtained the "PEARL NECKLACE" but didn't use them. I took damage twice in this level to preserve ammo. I also obtained the "GUN" which I used to knock out a fat guy and 2 chefs. The fat guy must be KOed or he'll grab and kill you. The chefs block my path, and jumping over them is slower, so they must also be KOed.

Street

Once again, everyone wants you dead. I avoid the bat wielding men as they inflict 2 points of damage. I grabbed a "GUN" which was used to KO 2 birds and 2 men. I took damage at the rat to lose only 1 HP instead of 2, as I need that extra health.

House

There's these pointless rooms with keys in them that are supposed to be shortcuts, but I can't get them to work. The paint bucket is supposed to be used to KO Marv, but I used it to walk past him. The bell gives me invincibility, but I don't need it, so I didn't grab it. I hopped around like mad because walking the entire time is too boring.

Tree

I leap vertically up a giant Christmas Tree while being chased by Harry & Marv. I could've moved around while leaping, but I would've wasted frames, so I jumped straight up. I knock down the criminal duo using pigeon feed.

Other comments

Addresses:
063f - Health
0512 - X. Position
Possible Improvement: Better Positioning Horizontally Suggested Screenshot: Some frame in the last battle

feos: embedded Author's encode.

DarkKobold: This TAS was pretty dry, and had a pretty poor response. I can see why, this is just a bland game choice, and thus, am rejecting it for that.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3032: jlun2's NES Home Alone 2: Lost in New York in 08:03.65
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
We must have more shitty games TASed! Yes.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1705)
Didn't like it. It also looks like it's done by a bad player. Voting no.
No.
Skilled player (1636)
This is just a bad game choice.... painful music, boring action. Sorry, had to vote no.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
I didn't make it more than a minute into watching this before I stopped with absolutely zero interest in continuing. From what I saw, this isn't quite the epitome of bad game choice, but it comes close.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
If the game could draw blond hair (in the credits), why does the player's character looks like a brown-haired kid wearing a tinfoil hat? And they made the Christmas tree scary at the top? I'm utterly baffled by this game's artistic choices. But anyway, I have to agree that this doesn't make good TAS material. Some AVGN-reviewed games have done well here, but that's because in those games, we see a TAS player dominate a normally-frustrating game. Here, though, good play doesn't actually look all that entertaining.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
I think I just have more patience than the average person. Heck, I submitted a Top Gun TAS previously!!! Voting Yes, and looks well done!
If at first you don't succeed, load your savestate and try again!
Dwedit
He/Him
Voting yes, because I finally get to see the rest of the game. Normally, you just play the game for 50 seconds, then turn it off in disgust. Finally I get to see the entire game.
voting yes. it's played rather nicely, making this horrible game seem passable protip: play the video without sound. it helps wonders.
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
So why this game have the the same sound effects from "The Simpsons Bart vs the mutants" and some levels are even similar and... well, just compare both games. Leaving that aside... kind of annoying the jumping sound effect especially when done in a row... anyhow, voting Meh due to game being bad /
"At least we get a turkey dinner!" "Marv, you turkey, shut up." The End. Almost voted yes just because of that. Sorry though, jlun2, i gotta go with bad game choice = no on this one. I don't think any amount of effort could possibly have extracted substantial entertainment value (the bizarre shirtless chef (??) battle (?!) made me smile though).
Oh, play it cool. Play it cool. Here come the space cops.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I don't feel this game has a significant amount of technical merit or entertainment value. As such, I can't think of a reason why even a completely perfect run of this game would be enjoyable in any sense. I must vote no.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
While it's nice to see such a horrible game being completed as quick as what's probably possible the game is just so boring, annoying sound effects (all the jumping didn't help with that), once the game was muted it was just barely watchable. I'm going to vote meh on this one.
nice gameplay only boring music, still a yes for me
live life
Player (183)
Used to love this game, even aware thats seem a bad game choice its still quite well done for me.
My main objective here is to TAS the most obscure games titles!
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
It kept my attention. But it was not that entertaining. I guess the game's shittiness mesmerised me. Meh vote.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I've watched some TASes of boring games, but I couldn't finish this one. It's just not a good game for TASing. No vote.
Skilled player (1404)
Huh? Do you seriously force a fat cook to perform a striptease for you as a boss fight? I do not know what it is I watch. And I cannot watch much for this gives me my "bad video game in a dream" vibe.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Skilled player (1306)
Im waiting for this to be console-verified now.
Active player (422)
The treetop was indeed creepy. Anybody else creeped out by the faces in the ending? The text describes the picture, in my opinion. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w196/dunnius/Thetextdescribesthefaces.jpg It also describes my vote. It was rather repetitive and hard to follow. The awful jumping sound was done too much.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Horrible game is horrible. Glad that allows me to see what this game end-levels are without enduring the pain of playing it. Voting yes.
DrJones wrote:
It also looks like it's done by a bad player.
Was it really necessary to take a cheap shot at someone like that? Maybe you should think before you speak next time. Bad Game choice doesn't make the person a bad TAS Runner.
I wasn't talking about the quality of the TASer, but at the perceived quality of the player in the movie. Getting stumbled by suitcases and other things doesn't look superhuman, rather the contrary. It felt clumsy.
No.
jlun2, did you decide to TAS this horrible game because it was among the NES games that micro500 owned?
AzumaK wrote: I swear my 1 year old daughter's favorite TASVideo is your R4MI run :3 xxNKxx wrote: ok thanks handsome feos :D Help improving TASVideos!