This is an improvement of 2672 frames (44.53 seconds) over the previous submission.

Game Objectives:

• Emulator used - SNES9x 1.43 v17
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Uses a slower route to save time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Uses warps

Comments:

This run has compiled a different proposed route for the any v1.1, traveling through Desert World, ending up back into the original route at Desert Star World. However, this route actually costed a loss of more than 700 frames, but in return, lets me gain more than 100 frames when I acquired Yoshi and the shell from Desert Secret.

Stage-by-Stage Improvements (Parenthesis indicates number of frames gained or lost):

Misty Isle 1 (1)
Had a 1 frame improvement of acceleration; No fadeout lag was gained/lost.
Misty Isle 2 (3)
Had a 2 frame improvement of acceleration. When landing on downward slopes, I was actually able to get an oscillation of 49-48-47-49, essentially doing a "6/3". However, this did not seem to save any significant time. No fadeout lag was gained/lost.
Misty Isle 3(-60)
64 frames were sacrificed in order to get the fireflower. 1 frame was gained from fadeout lag.
Misty Isle 4 (-57)
Was able to acquire the feather 3 frames faster.
#1 Misty Castle (-42)
Building up P-Meter to allow flight when entering the pipe in the first room did cause a loss of 12 frames, but air-cancelling allowed a total of a 17 frame gain in the second room.
Salty Isle
Just your average hopping/flying level at constant 51.
Desert World 1
Desert World 2
Due to Mister's proposed way of acceleration, I was able to keep the fireflower needed for Desert Pyramid.
Desert Pyramid
I had a bad oscillation with the Reznor fight, so he shot out a fireball at a bad time. I was unable to use my cape to destroy it at an earlier time, so I had to lose some time.
Desert Secret
Acquired the shell and Yoshi needed to save time.
#2 Desert Castle (-747)
Desert Star World (-736)
11 frames were gained from lag management.
Water Star World (-734)
1 frame was gained from entering the pipe earlier. Another was gained from fadeout lag. In my opinion, this had quite some entertainment even though you aren't provided much to work with.
Crystal Star World (-737)
Was able to duplicate a Yoshi Wings block 5 frames earlier from getting a positive X speed while diving facing left to allow a higher-X-speed head start rather than hitting Mario's head against the wall. However, 3 frames were lost total because I needed to keep Yoshi.
Sky Star World (175)
Roughly 900 frames were gained from the Yoshi Wings exit here.
Ice Star World (163)
12 frames were lost from lag.
Pipe Star World (488)
6/5'ing with the cape allows me to have a 2 frame gain. Double-hitting the key box allowed me to boost through the top of the wall, saving much time.
Bowser's Star World (2631)
A whopping 2000 frames were saved here from flying under the level, rather than completing the level regularly.
Backdoor Star World (2669)
I was somehow able to enter the pipe much earlier. Keeping flight until next room helped get a head start and then build up P-Meter again. A total of 9 frames were saved here also from lag management.
Bowser's Back Door (2772)
1 frame was saved from lag management from the first room. 2 frames were gained from ending the last frame of input earlier. Also, in my opinion, the Bowser battle has provided more entertainment.

A Couple of Potential Improvements:

• Better lag management from Ice Star World
  • Better execution in Pipe Star World (I had saved 4 frames over this run, but found out I wasn't recording and was unable to repeat this)
  • Many minor improvements overall throughout this run
Overall, I think this run was quite a success overall. I would like to thank bahamete, TheFinalBoss726, Kaizoman666, and DJSecret for continuous support and for giving constructive criticism on this run.

Nach: Judging.

Brandon: Added HD YouTube stream.

Nach: Although this submission has many many flaws, it had a nice reception, with an overwhelming majority to accept it. While this movie is low hanging fruit, I find it offers a fresh look at the warped run through Super Demo World, and still manages to surpass the previous run. Therefore, I'm accepting it.

Brandon: Publication underway.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Active player (263)
Yes! As I've said on skype, this run is amazing. Great improvements, good technical value and great entertainment. Well done Justin. : )
Retired smw-96, smw any%
Really unoptimized, but I liked it regardless. Yes for me.
Current projects: Yoshi's Island Disassembly Yoshi's Island any% TAS with Carl Sagan
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
DJSecret wrote:
Really unoptimized
Explaining what you saw that was unoptimised would help the author to improve the run, you know.
sgrunt wrote:
DJSecret wrote:
Really unoptimized
Explaining what you saw that was unoptimised would help the author to improve the run, you know.
I talk to Panga frequently on Skype; I've already told him.
Current projects: Yoshi's Island Disassembly Yoshi's Island any% TAS with Carl Sagan
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
We'd love to hear about it too - it would help the judges make their decision.
sgrunt wrote:
We'd love to hear about it too - it would help the judges make their decision.
One thing that I noticed is that he broke consistent hopping speed in a level or two, decreasing his speed from 51 to something lower. Also, *points at "lost frames" counts*
cant wait to see it, will wait for the encode to vote
live life
mindnomad
He/Him
Former player
I saw this on YouTube earlier today. Bricks were shat. Definite Yes vote
Skilled player (1307)
Please check the "minor edit" option while youre editing the submission. You're flooding the IRC channel.
arflech
He/Him
mindnomad wrote:
I saw this on YouTube earlier today. Bricks were shat. Definite Yes vote
link plz
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
mindnomad
He/Him
Former player
Experienced player (584)
Sonikkustar wrote:
Please check the "minor edit" option while youre editing the submission. You're flooding the IRC channel.
Ah, sorry about that. I'm a little new to this site. I'll be sure to check that option for now on.
Player (208)
See also: 100x100 limit on avatar size. :P It actually took me a while to find that site page for reference, so it seems to be something one wouldn't come across right away. EDIT: lol you fixed it before I even finished posting.
DJSecret wrote:
Really unoptimized, but I liked it regardless. Yes for me.
DJSecret wrote:
One thing that I noticed is that he broke consistent hopping speed in a level or two, decreasing his speed from 51 to something lower. Also, *points at "lost frames" counts*
Er, does "really unoptimized" mean that like 20 frames were lost over the course of the run? It seems to me that you might be embellishing the fact that you can see extremely minor technical errors. I can find a few frames lost in many runs on the site, but I don't consider them "really unoptimized." How many frames of improvement would you estimate are "known possible" over the course of the run?
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
YES!!! Mos def! I enjoyed every little detail. Loved the new tricks and i was very entertained, all the way. Sorry to say but it needs its star. :) Thanks!
YES YES YES, perfect improvement, must be published and I agree with jaysmad, it really needs a star
live life
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Awesome improvement, entertaining, original and fun. A yes from me.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Wow! Maybe a little time can be saved with this submission, but it's certainly very precise. The new route is quite surprising. It's also quite entertaining... there were some very good style choices made with this run. Out of curiosity, it seems like the glitch to get under the ground in Bowser's Star World is new. Could this kind of glitch save time in the Super Mario World any% run? (I was thinking that maybe Donut Secret 1 could benefit from it.) Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor
Mario decided to violate walls and physics. Sonic says Mario ripped him off. Yes vote.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Player (172)
Congrats on finishing your work! I'm happy to see a new sdw run as well as I'm sad that you didn't include the known improvements of desert castle, which andymac showed in his 100% wip. I can find almost nothing newer than ISM's and jimsfriend's ideas (possibly I overlooked some); if you'd been more careful, you could have tried to fly in the narrow space between the spikes and the lava after grabbing the key in backdoor star world, which I expect will save about a second. I also wonder if we can manage to skip a layer-2 phase near the keyhole. I'm hesitating about whether I should post a movie of that improvement (I'll make it later anyway) because I don't want to throw this run into a frame war again. Sorry for my negative comments but I'm sure this run can shape up better, and in my opinion, it should. I think it'll take a few days, at least if I have the time, for me to check improvable parts and suggest them to the author. Refraining from voting. Related links: http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/200025#200025 http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/219742#219742 http://code.google.com/p/andymac-tas/
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
Experienced player (584)
Mister wrote:
Congrats on finishing your work! I'm happy to see a new sdw run as well as I'm sad that you didn't include the known improvements of desert castle, which andymac showed in his 100% wip. I can find almost nothing newer than ISM's and jimsfriend's ideas (possibly I overlooked some); if you'd been more careful, you could have tried to fly in the narrow space between the spikes and the lava after grabbing the key in backdoor star world, which I expect will save about a second. I also wonder if we can manage to skip a layer-2 phase near the keyhole. I'm hesitating about whether I should post a movie of that improvement (I'll make it later anyway) because I don't want to throw this run into a frame war again.
I appreciate the feedback Mister ^.^ especially considering that you are one of the best Super Mario World TAS'ers in the community. It's sad to see that I missed some improvements that andymac has showed off, but hopefully that will be fixed. I think I should also add these in the "A Couple of Potential Improvements" section as well. Hopefully, this won't turn into another frame war. Also, something I had always questioned is if keeping speed 51 in Desert Star World was possible, because of that "invisible barrier" you get when you don't scroll the screen, the flying goomba causes you to lose Yoshi. I tried to eat him, but I don't know what happens since I can't see the off-screen action. Perhaps you could investigate on this matter.
Mister wrote:
Sorry for my negative comments but I'm sure this run can shape up better, and in my opinion, it should. I think it'll take a few days, at least if I have the time, for me to check improvable parts and suggest them to the author. Refraining from voting. Related links: http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/200025#200025 http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/219742#219742 http://code.google.com/p/andymac-tas/
I take constructive criticism quite well. Even if it's negative, there are great benefits from knowing where some improvements are spotted. Since runs continuously get improved, hopefully the next one will be harder to optimize ^.^ Thanks again for the feedback.
Skilled player (1307)
Forgot to say, but this run is amazing. Yes Vote and I hope you submit more of you SMW TASes in the future.
Very polished run.good work.
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
That's nice run ;) yes vote!
Player (172)
PangaeaPanga wrote:
Also, something I had always questioned is if keeping speed 51 in Desert Star World was possible, because of that "invisible barrier" you get when you don't scroll the screen, the flying goomba causes you to lose Yoshi. I tried to eat him, but I don't know what happens since I can't see the off-screen action. Perhaps you could investigate on this matter.
According to ISM, that's possible; you have only to press B when stomping on the first pokey so you can get extra height to scroll the screen enough.
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"