This is the SMS version of George Foreman's KO Boxing, where Foreman demonstrates the skill that made him champion of the world, completely destroying four boxers in the space of five minutes.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Dega 1.16 (MAME core)
  • Takes no damage
  • Colours a few blue boxes
  • Becomes world champion

Comments

As stupid as this run looks, there actually is (very slight) strategy to it. First, during fights, when you get within range and punch, depending which punch you do (left jab, right jab, left upper, right upper) you can force the AI into doing the wrong thing. Uppers do more damage so you want to do them whenever possible, and manipulate the opponent into doing an upper block.
Second are your powerups. You get three for winning a fight and you can put them into one of four stats: P (power), R (???), F (speed), and SP (super punches). Yes that's right, I have no idea what R is. I thought maybe range, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Possible improvements

If you can manipulate a KO (as opposed to a TKO), you actually get four powerups instead of three. I wasn't able to do this, but who knows? Maybe this will become seriously frame-warred.
Hah, yeah right. April Fools!

Mukki: I agree with sgrunt. TKO!...I mean, rejected for lamentable game choice.

adelikat: Unrejecting this submission for consideration into the Vault tier

adelikat: Accepting for publication to the Vault

Ilari: Processing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3071: mike89's SMS George Foreman's KO Boxing in 05:06.13
Editor, Experienced player (608)
April Fools Day would probably be a bad day for someone new to visit the site. Just saying.
Active player (301)
Hey, if you're going anywhere new on the Internet on April Fools, you get what you deserve. :P
Someone make me a hamburger!
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Upon request, I've done a(n HD) encode so that more feedback can be sought upon this run. Check the submission text.
Skilled player (1636)
I thought it was pretty meh all around. Not poorly done, just very repetitive.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
In my view, this is close to one of the most boring runs I've seen submitted here. It's a terrible, terrible game choice, and I think that's why mike89 picked it for a submission at the time he did. Voting no.
Experienced player (954)
Its fun how close this game look to Rocky (reviewed by AVGN), yet it seem less colorfull, smaller sprites, nothing in between combats, very dull for short. Meh too boring.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Boring game, maybe improvable, still not bad. Going for meh too.
Active player (422)
I vote Hamburger. That is a horrible game, and I don't know what to make of the picture of Foreman holding a hamburger. If this were to be published, that would be the screenshot.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... 'twas dry
Personman
Other
I wish movies rejected for poor game choice still got publication-esque pages and were searchable, but just never listed on the front page. I certainly didn't want to watch this all the way through, but I watched a minute of it, and I'm glad I did. Just learning that the game exists and what it looks like if half of that; seeing for a few seconds the blatant ease with which it is broken is the other half. Of course it's not lost forever or anything, it's here in the forum, but I wish the main site served as an archive for this kind of thing as well.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Active player (301)
sgrunt wrote:
It's a terrible, terrible game choice, and I think that's why mike89 picked it for a submission at the time he did.
Yeah, spot on. Rejection for game choice was 100% the expected result when I submitted the run (I made it in two hours a couple of nights before April 1, to give you an idea of how simple it is), I'd have been stunned if it met any other fate. A bit of context: Over at SDA we're doing a "bad game exchange", where we trade terrible games with each other and force each other to speedrun them. However, nobody has come forward with a Master System (the other versions of this game are different, more like a poor man's Punch-Out), so I couldn't trade with anyone, but I couldn't let the idea go entirely to waste. :)
Editor, Player (44)
There's always the Gruefood Delight section. You could try to persuade someone to put it there; it has a publication-esque list of movies rejected for bad game choice, among other things.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2146] SMS George Foreman's KO Boxing by mike89 in 05:06.13