(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Objectives:
  • Floods the queue
  • Attempts rejection for bad game choice
  • Attempts rejection for arbitrary goal
  • Doesn't color a dinosaur :(
People have been trying to do a TAS of this game, but have failed miserably. Chess is about pawning, and when it comes to this, leave it to the experts!
This movie is slower than adelikat's, but in exchange is the most awesomest TAS that was and will ever be submitted. Also, it's extremely optimized, I spent 15 minutes months looking for improvements and I could beat my previous run, which the whole world considered optimal.
Now 0.21 seconds faster!!!!!!!!111111111111

FractalFusion: Judging, because everyone likes Battle Chess.
FractalFusion: Some may like it as a chess composition, but, like most (all?) chess video games, it doesn't serve any real purpose as a TAS. This one doesn't even have the excuse of taking advantage of a bad computer player.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3087: p4wn3r's NES Battle Chess "U17im473 p4wn4g3" in 02:11.57
pawn'd yes vote
Editor, Player (67)
Now this is an interesting April 1 submission. What emulator version did you use to make this?
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Player (42)
I used FCEUX 2.1.4a
Editor, Player (67)
Yes vote, btw.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Yes vote for an improvement to the published movie.
wow that was the most thrilling TAS ever! I think I'm going to be bored by every other TAS from now on by comparison.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Oh, it is ON now, biatch. *Commence war*
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1637)
That was funny, but not haha funny... more like my parakeet died last night funny. So, yeah....
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I claimed in the YouTube comments that I would vote Yes for this if it was submitted (I'm ITGSKIZ there). As promised, I vote Yes. This is clever enough that it may actually deserve a playaround publication, even if it's not as impressive as the Tetris playaround.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor
Let me sum it up as this: First you edit the board to your liking, keeping the players reasonably evenly powered. Then you check repeatedly and force the cpu to capture your pieces. The the big payoff comes when you realize that the cpu has boxed himself in and is defenseless against the knight. This is clearly the best battle chess submission.
Editor, Player (53)
I've only seen the old video, but that was King Tut's puzzle
I'm the best in the Universe! Remember that!
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
That was actually pretty good. I think this is worthy of publication as a concept demo. Yes vote.
Previous Name: boct1584
Patryk1023
He/Him
That video pwn'd me! Yes vote.
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
Skilled player (1706)
Editor
For those who are new to chess (like me), I found a link about this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lubomir-kavalek/king-tut-in-chess-puzzles_b_819986.html.
Tub
so it's just a slight variation of the game henke just linked? Color me unimpressed.
m00
Player (42)
WTF? My internet connection went down for almost the entire weekend, and now that it's back, I'm kinda surprised at the reception of this movie. As the title and the submission suggest, I made this as a joke and really had no intention of getting it published. This sequence is one I have read about / someone told me way back when I played chess competitively, I didn't even know it had a name or where to find it on the internet. If it wasn't noticed yet, the combination is entirely forced, (actually I find it amazing how much the CPU thinks before doing a forced move), Black has only one choice to move, there's no luck manipulation involved. Is the position impressive? Yes, but not about anything that has something to do with a video game, it'll be the same thing if shown on a chess board. Since there's some relevant support, I'll keep this up, but it's definitely not something to publish, in my opinion.
Banned User, Former player
At least it's more entertaining than a regular game where the computer is not given enough time to be a fair opponent...
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Instead of just getting it over with and playing Qe5#, the player toys with the opponent and forces him into one of the most humiliating positions ever. This is a neat submission and it absolutely must be published... ... as a chess composition. As a TAS, it is worthless whatsoever. I agree with p4wn3r; it should be rejected.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I'd be surprised if we ever get a Chess submission worth publishing. The game itself is uninteresting in terms of TASing. It doesn't take advantage of any TASing tactics, and is merely scoped to Chess fans. Which means nothing more than a move lists needs publishing, and you're better off with going to a Chess site. The "game" used doesn't really matter. Of course if you find a Chess game where you can make a Queen move like a Knight and violate all sorts of in game rules, then perhaps there'd be what to consider.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Editor, Player (67)
Nach wrote:
Of course if you find a Chess game where you can make a Queen move like a Knight and violate all sorts of in game rules, then perhaps there'd be what to consider.
Some form of Absorption Chess, you mean? That site has a bunch of other chess variants, some quite interesting.
I think he meant more a game in which you could create glitches that allowed you to cheat, not a game that was explicitly designed with differing rules from normal chess. The goal is to find a game in which TAS tools become relevant for more than just manipulating the computer's decisions.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Well, there are glitches in this game that allow Black to go first, or a player to do consecutive moves, or a pawn to move and capture sideways. I still don't think that is much to base a TAS on. It might be interesting though. Edit: Wiki: GameResources/NES/BattleChess.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
this was enjoyable enough I guess, yes vote
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.