About

• Emulator used: fceux-2.1.4a-win32
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Only released in Japan
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck

The game

夢ペンギン物語,presented by KONAMI as Antarctic Adventure.The character in this game is a fat penguin.It walks slowly.The attack is jumping and suppress enemies. At first,it can get thinner if it complete Stage 1 automaticly.

Comments

Stage 1

Kicking the enemies,getting the yellow bottles to get thinner.With "Shape UP",it showes thinner,and can spit out “ポ” to hit the enemies. The blank under the screen can show the degree of powerful time. Killing the bird can get yellow "M",and it has the same effect like this.Manipulate luck and kill enemies to get bottles.There is no boss in this stage.

Stage 2

Flying stage,manipulate luck to get the bottles,the black power up when it reach the top.Kill the boss.

Stage 3

Giant cake mountain,running up towards,getting a "H"to fly and meet the boss.

Stage 4

The same tactics as stage 2.

Stage 5

The same tactics as stage 1.

Stage 6

3 landslides, jumping on it can get farther.killing the last boss and end this movie.

sgrunt: Replaced the submission file with an 11 frame faster version at the request of the author(s).
DarkKobold: Judging.
Flygon: Added YT module at authors request.
DarkKobold: While the autoscroller sections weren't particularly well done, they weren't horrible. Additionally, I checked, and sometimes the shots go through the enemies, and sometimes they don't, confounding what is a missed shot. For a first TAS from the author, I think this is a good job. An improved movie should focus on improving the autoscrollers, as well as the time. Accepting.
Nahoc: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3114: Yunshui & X2poet's NES Yume Penguin Monogatari in 09:49.00
Skilled player (1469)
The automatic scene kill the entertainment. But it's short enough,nice character design from KONAMI. Haven't seen your run for a long time,Yun Shui. Yes.
Do the work.
will vote after encode;)
live life
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (550)
i'll do the HD
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Skilled player (1306)
The autoscrolling stages seem incredibly glaring with the missed shots. Other than that, fast & well played. Yes Vote.
Player (147)
Watched this while eating some rather butter and syrup drenched waffles. According to this game I should weigh something like 300 pounds right now. Yes vote for making dieting seem much easier than it is.
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
Skilled player (1469)
You have taken a miss in the last boss. Farthest shooting can make the bullet flying for longer time,but you may press shoot button earlier for 17F per bullet. So,this is the improvement saving 11 frames for the last boss. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1405537800/Yunshui-Yume%20Penguin%20Monogatari.fm2
Do the work.
Player (44)
X2poet wrote:
You have taken a miss in the last boss. Farthest shooting can make the bullet flying for longer time,but you may press shoot button earlier for 17F per bullet. So,this is the improvement that saving 11 frames for the last boss. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1405537800/Yunshui-Yume%20Penguin%20Monogatari.fm2
Thanks for figuring out,but I cannot reupload it.
Rongorongo
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Yunshui wrote:
If you so desire, we can replace the submission file. Considering the contribution of x2poet, were I to do this I would contemplate adding x2poet as a co-author.
Player (44)
sgrunt wrote:
Yunshui wrote:
If you so desire, we can replace the submission file. Considering the contribution of x2poet, were I to do this I would contemplate adding x2poet as a co-author.
I agree with adding the co-author. Replacing the submission file is better I think.Need faster but not original work.
Rongorongo
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Done.
Editor
Are you guys done playing framewars? Yes? Good. Now I can request the encode.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Cool. Doing SD as well
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
I'm torn.. the platforming levels were really entertaining but the autscrolling levels weren't. and that's not your fault because you executed them excellently. I'll vote yes instead of meh because this is a pretty quirky game, so that in itself bumps the entertainment value up.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
GeoCorn wrote:
the platforming levels were really entertaining but the autscrolling levels weren't. and that's not your fault because you executed them excellently.
I second that, and also voted yes.
Editor
So there is a timer that you can increase with powerups. And it counts down at the end of each level? So you should aim not to collect more powerups than needed. Did you do that? I doubt it.
Skilled player (1469)
I'm not the original author,and Yunshui cannot express well in English.His submission text is only the translation from me.I will ask him for the answer. In my opinion,more powerup is not the problem I only noticed. But the clock adding 15 seconds,that should not be picked up.
Do the work.
If you actually watch the run with that in mind, you'll notice that he avoids most clocks. These add time to complete the level, but the only ones that need additional time to complete are the two sidescrollers. In every other level the clocks are avoided, and even in the sidescrollers he starts avoiding them after collecting a few (and ends those levels with 11 and 3 seconds remaining). The only exception is collecting excess clocks in the final level, but that doesn't matter since the timer count down happens after input ends. The bottles are health drinks that make Penta thin. The objective of this game is to complete each level as skinny as possible (such that the bar at the bottom of the screen is to the right of the heart above it; the heart moves farther to the right when you go to the next level). Taking a hit or eating some of the food thrown at you makes Penta fatter (you cannot die). Collecting extra health drinks does not affect the time limit, but being super skinny has benefits: moving faster and being able to shoot projectiles. EDIT: Also, how skinny you are does not add to the score. The time left on the clock at the end of the level will also make you thinner, depending on how much there is. Oh, the reason why you need to be skinny? Your girlfriend (the pink penguin) will reject you if you're too fat. EVEN IF you rescue her from the baddie. Yes, that is a very shallow penguin. EDIT: Apparently she would rather be with the pimp than a fat good guy. I learned these things from a Let's Play of the fan translation of this game: http://www.youtube.com/user/LpingWithArdwick#grid/user/2E3C91B3A1F8B2F8 Anyway, I voted yes.
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
Editor
I failed to communicate that I meant that I doubted if he was collecting the correct amount of clocks. He clearly is ignoring them properly most of the time.
Ok. I watched the TAS after reading your first comment, and the only time clocks were collected (other than the final level) was when the level was completed with 11 and 3 seconds to spare. Unless I missed something. Since each clock is 15 seconds, I think that aspect was managed properly.
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
Voted yes since it was surreal and short enough to be fun.
blahmoomoo wrote:
Oh, the reason why you need to be skinny? Your girlfriend (the pink penguin) will reject you if you're too fat. EVEN IF you rescue her from the baddie. Yes, that is a very shallow penguin.
She'll reject you even though she has an eating disorder herself? Eesh, talk about conceited...
trytoguess wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
Oh, the reason why you need to be skinny? Your girlfriend (the pink penguin) will reject you if you're too fat. EVEN IF you rescue her from the baddie. Yes, that is a very shallow penguin.
She'll reject you even though she has an eating disorder herself? Eesh, talk about conceited...
You know what's worse? The last line in the video (essentially) says "Well, let's start your second lap!" and you are thrust back to level 1. Remember kids, if you're fat, or even normal, the girl of your dreams will never love you! No matter how many times you selflessly save her from a bad guy, you must be super skinny!
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I also think the missed shots in the autoscroller looked bad, but the game was pretty nice! Hooray for cute penguins and fast boss fights. I think the plane sections were done about as well as they could have been done. Yes vote. I would also suggest taking a screenshot from Stage 3 when the H powerup is active.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.