Submission Text Full Submission Page
Emulator FCEUX 2.1.4a Video Extension fm2
Big Nose the Caveman is a NES game made by Camerica that was released in 1991. It is a side scroller.
You control the "Big Nose" character, who is running through many islands to find his dinner, because he is very hungry. Along the way, Big Nose collects bones, that he can use to buy items from the various shops that include spells, upgrades to his abilities and items.
This game is also very difficult because you cannot restart from where you left off once all your lives are gone. It is also very long with four islands (Paradise Island, Monster Island, Terror Island, and Chaos Island) each containing several levels. Big Nose the Caveman dies in a single hit unless he has stones. The stones can shoot out of his club, killing enemies. As many as three stones can come out of the club. There are also many pitfalls, traps and deadly lava/water since Big Nose can't swim. Genre: Adventure Type: Platform
Objective: Finish the game as quickly as possible, mainly looking for a higher score.
The stones and the bones are worth 75 points. Some enemies have scores varied from 10 to 15.
I searched the shortest routes and highest score.
At various times I have avoided taking a few items not to go get on a wrong track with little scoring.
Details: The bosses are repeated in the game, the difference is that they will attack more and are more resistant.
Max Score: 204645
Glitch: Used only in the fight against the bosses scorpions, you must be a precise distance and keep the sequence of attacks to the firing of the head does not cause damage.
Items: We used the item Light Spell, is an item that destroys anything instantly, thus greatly reduce the time it would be taken in a melee confrontation with the boss.
The bosses who received the Light Spell: World 1-4 Boss Scorpion; World 1-6 Boss Dinosaur Aquatic; World 3-3 Boss Giant Worm; World 3-5 Boss Big Fish; World 4-2 Boss Giant Worm; World 4-7 Final Boss Pterodactyl;

DarkKobold: Judging

DarkKobold: Master of Pigs, this TAS was well done. However, this game is just slow paced, without much potential to show off. You tried your best by maximizing score, but I just don't see anyway Big Nose could be publishable. I'm sticking with the decision from #839: QoiZ's NES Big Nose the Caveman in 26:09.87, and rejecting for game choice.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Patryk1023
He/Him
I'll vote after encode.
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Voting no. This is a bad game choice, and you didn't use the codemasters skip.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
I started drowsing off due to boredom at the 4 minute mark... Voting no for game choice as I cannot see this game getting any more entertaining.
I loved the game :-/ Anyway, it is already there for those who want to enjoy. ^__^
Patryk1023
He/Him
Shitty game, man :P No vote!
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Thanks for the temporary encode, Master of Pigs! Unfortunately, the game isn't really interesting to watch. (It does seem sort of fun to play, especially if you purchase and use more spells.) The boss fights seem pretty good, though. The one glitch with the scorpion fight was cool. Some basic questions and comments:
  • There is a way to skip the opening Codemasters logo. Our currently-published runs for the ALADDIN Deck Enhancer (the Dizzy game, and Linus Spacehead's Cosmic Crusade) both use that skip. Maybe you can edit this skip into your movie.
  • I like the idea of going for high score as a second goal. With this game, though, that doesn't involve a lot of skill (as opposed to games where you can make combos).
  • There are several times when many enemies on the screen and the game lags a lot. It would look better to kill more enemies to reduce lag, even if you miss a few bones as a result.
  • How do you choose which bosses are attacked with the Light Spell?
  • How does your choice of shop door work? It seems like it should always be faster to go to a shop than to walk to the Exit sign. (In fact, what do you use to pay the shopkeeper?)
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
mklip2001 wrote:
[*]How does your choice of shop door work? It seems like it should always be faster to go to a shop than to walk to the Exit sign. (In fact, what do you use to pay the shopkeeper?)
You pay the shopkeeper with bones that you collect during levels.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Lex
I loved this game as a kid, I definitely want a TAS of this game published, and I LOVE that you danced to the music in the first (club helicopter) flying level. This TAS put a big smile on my face. I'm voting yes for those reasons. One has to admit this game has great music and style. Edit: Also, this is a game I could console-verify or cart-lend for console verification. Edit: Also, this game is a far better game than Super Mario Bros. For example, how did you simply not take the hit on that scorpion boss? So cool.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Lex wrote:
Edit: Also, this is a game I could console-verify or cart-lend for console verification.
I have access to this cart, but probably will not go out of my way to verify it right now (Leaving the area for a month and a half).
All the best, Brandon Evans
Patryk1023 wrote:
Shitty game, man :P No vote!
Hey! Added games worse than this here. Examples are 52 Action and Adventure Island 1 and 2. Let's try to collaborate at all did the best I could since the game is linear. As I had advised my main goal was to try a good score. :-/ @NitroGenesis That opening codemaster can not be skipped. If I could have done it immediately. There could be another version of the game covers the opening jump.
Lex wrote:
I loved this game as a kid, I definitely want a TAS of this game published, and I LOVE that you danced to the music in the first (club helicopter) flying level. This TAS put a big smile on my face. I'm voting yes for those reasons. One has to admit this game has great music and style. Edit: Also, this is a game I could console-verify or cart-lend for console verification. Edit: Also, this game is a far better game than Super Mario Bros. For example, how did you simply not take the hit on that scorpion boss? So cool.
This was my first game I had when I was a child. And music is one of the best I've ever heard.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Master of Pigs, do not be personally offended by the criticisms here. You should be commended of your obviously hard work, but that doesn't mean that this is going to get published.
All the best, Brandon Evans
Brandon wrote:
Master of Pigs, do not be personally offended by the criticisms here. You should be commended of your obviously hard work, but that doesn't mean that this is going to get published.
I did not feel offended (laughing) The important thing is worthwhile. Some liked it, so I'll keep thinking of the video on youtube for those who want. ^__^
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Master of Pigs wrote:
@NitroGenesis That opening codemaster can not be skipped. If I could have done it immediately.
Wrong. Do a soft reset on frame 7 and hold start after that.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Can really reduce the frames using the reset. The start has to use only the frame 74. I'll edit the video, but that sentence would not change much. :-/
Meh for poor game choice. Much of it is basic run to the right game play and some pretty slow auto-scroller sections.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!