• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Emulator used PSXjin v2.0 svn633
Castlevania Chronicles is a remake of Akumajou Dracula for Sharp X68000. Simon Belmont will defeat Dracula again.
I did the run in hard level and choose arrange mode, in original mode the hero will lose more HP when he takes damage, arrange mode is more suitable for take damage as timesaver.
I used stopwatch for level 1 boss fight, the subweapon only effective on the boss. In some area, I manipulated enemies' movement. I also found a trick that the hero could use subweapon with less attack animation if he jumps and whips twice before. In addition, not too much to describe.

klmz: The author neglected a time saver, which does not undermine the value of this quality movie that the audience appriciate. We accept it.
fsvgm777: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3161: zggzdydp's PSX Castlevania Chronicles in 26:28.38
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
:| Has anyone watched it yet?! An encode please!!! XD
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
You were working on this and never told me? Kurse you. Oh well, saves me the trouble of working on it. ^^;; Edit: It desyncs on me after the giant portrait in Block 1. It's obviously not registering a jump as you do a ducking whip instead of a downward jumping whip attack.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Sir VG wrote:
Edit: It desyncs on me after the giant portrait in Block 1. It's obviously not registering a jump as you do a ducking whip instead of a downward jumping whip attack.
Are you using the correct BIOS (scph1001.bin)? If so, did you set the sound mode to "2: Synchronous (tas safe, buffering glitches)" (or "1: Dual SPU (tas safe, slight glitches [default])", except the sound quality is bleh)? Since the run synced for me (on svn662 and svn715), I can say that the run is well executed. I especially liked the fight against the third boss (the Necromancer, according to this site). Yes vote. Furthermore, I'm encoding it to SD.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
I totally did not see this run coming, please, someone make an encode
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
fsvgm777 wrote:
Sir VG wrote:
Edit: It desyncs on me after the giant portrait in Block 1. It's obviously not registering a jump as you do a ducking whip instead of a downward jumping whip attack.
Are you using the correct BIOS (scph1001.bin)? If so, did you set the sound mode to "2: Synchronous (tas safe, buffering glitches)" (or "1: Dual SPU (tas safe, slight glitches [default])", except the sound quality is bleh)?
Yes to everything. I've tried both Dual and Sync for audio, the latter makes the problem worse as I can't hear anything at all. Same BIOS, same version of the emulator. My only guess is that my version of CVC doesn't perfectly match up so thus it isn't read right. Or something. Ah the "joys" of playing with ISOs.
Post subject: Encode is up on Mediafire
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Encode is up on Mediafire (finally it decided to cooperate with me for once): http://www.mediafire.com/?p4dc3y10b73195p
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Watched the encode (thanks, fsvgm), and I must say, I really liked this run. For the most part, the action was nicely fluent and the boss fights were smooth. A few things though: 1.Why did you walk down a few ledges instead of jumping from them? 2.Could you have managed damage a bit better to avoid waiting in a few places? Still, the run was very good, so I'll vote yes.
Skilled player (1149)
scrimeh: 1. if the hero jump from a high place, he will pause a few time when he land on. 2. where are the "a few places"?
zggzdydp wrote:
scrimeh: 2. where are the "a few places"?
In any Stage where you face the boss with enough health to take another hit. Then again, I can't really a place where it would really have helped, so never mind that.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Wow, I never knew this game existed. It's nice to see the Super Castlevania IV engine reused. I love how much they put in this game. Many new clever enemies I never saw before, also great exciting stuff in the background. Death's level was especially clever in that regard. Also nice to hear a new version of Bloody Tears. For the girl monster fought at the clock tower, could she be saved like in other games? As for the run itself, quite good. Game doesn't seem that complicated, but this run provides plenty of entertainment, and it looks to be quite quick. I especially liked the times you took out half a dozen enemies in a single shot. Now the Transylvania municipality is going to be all over for what you did in this run. Demolishing a huge chain of buildings without filing the proper forms in advance? For shame! There were people down there that you killed with all your rubble!
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
GabCM
He/Him
Clearly the Belmont clan is Scottish. They keep running around in leather skirts, after all. Okay, I guess it's more likely that they're in the BDSM scene. Oh well. This is pretty standard Castlevania fare, this time with pink hair and inexplicably female mudmen. I have to say I found the dance-remix music to not be as good as usual, but the gameplay itself was well-executed; nice work! My favorite bit was the fight against the teleporting guy in the ice caverns, notwithstanding the terrible sound effects for the boomerang. What was up with the girl frozen in ice?
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Watched the encode, and was fully entertained throughout! Well deserving of a Yes vote.
Current projects: FDS Nazo no Murasamejou (hiatused), MSX Metal Gear 2, Arcade Rygar Possible Projects: MSX Nemesis 2, PCECD (NES?) Gofer no Yabou
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Thanks for the encode. You forgot to do one thing that'll have a somewhat big impact on the run: You forgot to turn the timer off in the options. Your score will be lower, but it cuts out the wait time at the end of the stages. Also, thanks for the new Stage 1 strat. I didn't think about using the ceiling on the boss like that. Need to improve my speed run then!
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Other thoughts: It's cool they have a gigantic statue crying blood while bloody tears is playing. Dracula has the coolest maids ever!
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Thanks zggzdydp. You helped me improve my Block 1 & 4 speed runs! I'll be sure to credit your awesomeness in my notes! :)
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Downloaded... Watched... :D Wow, this is really a nice run! YES vote!
Active player (432)
I was pretty much blown away by how awesome some enemies looked and behaved and also the fact the elegance of the background. I was thoroughly impressed and I hope this further motivates those two who are working Super Castlevania :) Easy yes vote and congratulations ziggy for making a truly entertaining tas.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Sir VG: Disabling the timer would certainly be a nice little time-saver. However, I think it's fine to keep the timer, since it gives a clear, easy-to-spot indication of how quickly the level was completed. (Besides, don't speedrunners like tracking level times anyway?) I'd classify this as a speed-entertainment tradeoff. fsvgm777: Thanks for the encode! zggzdydp: Nice run! I loved seeing how many boomerangs you could use in the later bossfights. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Player (200)
I like this Castlevania game - it keeps the old school feel alive, with updated graphics and totally-out-of-place techno remixes of the classic level themes. The run looks well done and on par with the other traditional-style Castlevania runs on the site, so I see no reason not to vote yes.
Rayas wrote:
Dunno if I'm really clear. I need to drink more.
<br>
adelikat wrote:
The idea was to kill off my family to avoid lost time to them getting sick and other inconvenient things.
Yes vote! I also didn't know that this game existed. And I thought I knew every game that IGA contributed to. I guess not. Copyright 2001? This game came out laaaate! The best way to explain my enthusiasm for this run is to repeat what I said to myself while I was watching it. I read this thread first, then watched the encode. "Oooh, pretty." "He's gonna get hit! Ah, nope." "Clever." "The bosses sure take a lot of damage quickly when TASed, but that's normal." "All this dance music is kind of inappropriate for a CV game, but it's good!" "How did he not get hit there?" "Or there!" "Man, how many artists worked on this game?" "Holy shit level 15 already?? Where'd the time go?" "Does this game have a soundtrack?" "This game was definitely designed by a huge Castlevania fan. Who else would think of that?" (I didn't suspect that it was an IGA game yet. Which is shocking in hindsight.) "Okay, playing Simon's Theme for the final level is pretty badass." "Credits! I'm looking forward to these for once." (Really.)
PRODUCER IGA
Whoa! :O But that explains a lot.
Character Design Illustration Ayami Kojima
Expected, but still noteworthy.
Music and Arrangement >>>> Sota Fujimori <<<< Hiroshi Iizuka
\o/ \o/ *facepalm* wow... 1. That explains everything. Who else would turn in an album of dance music for a Castlevania game? (Where Sota's brain should be, there's a synthesizer.) 2. For once I listed to some techno, loved it, then learned that it was Sota. Usually it's the other way around. As for the timer, I'm not worried about it. It's a classic CV game after all. It doesn't take up that much time, PSX games surely don't hex well yet, and arguably it should be left in. The author took enough care to waste the hearts at the end of each stage. I don't think that future improvements should be allowed to count the time saved by disabling the timer.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Huh, I did not enjoy the dance music as much as you did, Catastrophe. I'll definitely acknowledge that it was well-composed, but it just felt too out of place. Also, I agree that the timer settings should be left as they are for this run. Is that what you were mentioning in your submission edit, klmz?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1829] PSX Castlevania Chronicles by zggzdydp in 26:28.38
Post subject: skipping a section at stage 12
Hi, At 10:48 at the beginning of stage 12 you kill a bat coming towards you. In the original Sharp X68k you can jump on the bat, take a hit and land on the plateform above to directly go upstairs. If it's still possible on this version, you should be able to save about 20 seconds.