• Aim For Fastest Time
  • Abuses Programming Errors
  • Use Warps
  • Use Multiple hit
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes Damage To Save Time
  • Uses Game Reset Sequence

About this Run

This is an improved version of Submission #2514. Thermal power shortage has been evaded by using the Multiple hit Glitch.It updated it by 19217 frames.

Author's Encode

[dead links removed]

klmz: Accepted as a good improvement in both aspects of techniques and entertainment to the published movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3170: mtbRc's DS Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin in 04:55.42
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
Very nice improvement there. Got to love the glitches :). Yes vote.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
Well, that's definitely a significant improvement, from 10:14 to 4:55. Will watch and vote after encode.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Voted yes. I had no idea PoR had this sort of glitch! Very reminiscent of the Harmony of Dissonance Maxim mode run.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Wow, the run was seriously great. The new route was far more interesting and didn't have all the boring Quest-abuse of the previous one. Also, the multiple hit glitch makes the movie a lot faster and smoother. I'd like to know more about it. Total thumbs up, yes vote, and here's hoping for a full warpless submission someday.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Not encoding, but voting Yes!
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2104)
scrimpeh wrote:
Wow, the run was seriously great. The new route was far more interesting and didn't have all the boring Quest-abuse of the previous one. Also, the multiple hit glitch makes the movie a lot faster and smoother. I'd like to know more about it. Total thumbs up, yes vote, and here's hoping for a full warpless submission someday.
Unfortunately, the quest-abuse is still very advantageous in a NOOB (No Out-Of-Bounds) TAS and thus will be used in my run, unless I can figure out a better alternative (I need Magic Tickets, and to release VK would cost more time). EDIT: However, I'd like to ask a question: Could it be made faster if the author had grind some other lesser enemies rather than hunt down the slimy boss as in this movie?
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
klmz wrote:
scrimpeh wrote:
Unfortunately, the quest-abuse is still very advantageous in a NOOB (No Out-Of-Bounds) TAS and thus will be used in my run, unless I can figure out a better alternative (I need Magic Tickets, and to release VK would cost more time). EDIT: However, I'd like to ask a question: Could it be made faster if the author had grind some other lesser enemies rather than hunt down the slimy boss as in this movie?
I think he kills it to obtain the double jump. As for your run, woo, I didn't know about that, I'm excited now. I don't care so much about the abuse in a full movie, as the ratio of actual gameplay to boring old menu/warping/resetting stuff is far better.
Former player
That's what I call ART!!! I'm really amazed. That means yes
Skilled player (1263)
klmz さんの文より:
scrimpeh さんの文より: Wow, the run was seriously great. The new route was far more interesting and didn't have all the boring Quest-abuse of the previous one. Also, the multiple hit glitch makes the movie a lot faster and smoother. I'd like to know more about it. Total thumbs up, yes vote, and here's hoping for a full warpless submission someday. Unfortunately, the quest-abuse is still very advantageous in a NOOB (No Out-Of-Bounds) TAS and thus will be used in my run, unless I can figure out a better alternative (I need Magic Tickets, and to release VK would cost more time).
However, I'd like to ask a question: Could it be made faster if the author had grind some other lesser enemies rather than hunt down the slimy boss as in this movie?
I am not so good at English first. Please agree though it is likely to become a strange word. Yes. The thing that knocking down the liquid by which green did the sticky paste as Mr. scrimpeh says acquires Double jump is one reason. I have a hard time very much in the Death battle if it doesn't take it. The thing to improve the levels up to 9 in it and a short time is the second reason. If the levels are not raised up to 8 or 9, it seems not to be able to evade the fingernail by the game against true Dracula.
Patiently and excitedly (yes, both) waiting for an encode, as I have no way of accessing my ROM collection from here. Ironically I am actually the kind of person who has bought every game he has ever had on a computer... Anyway, there's almost no way I can imagine I won't end up yes-voting an improvement of such significance, but of course I'll wait and see what we get. mtbRc: Hello, and welcome to TASvideos : ) Your English is much better than my Japanese so do not worry. I understood what you said perfectly and I do not think anyone will have trouble reading your words.
I will not use self-reference in my signature.
Editor, Experienced player (894)
A pleasant run and a big improvement. Voted yes.
Skilled player (1705)
Acheron86 wrote:
Patiently and excitedly (yes, both) waiting for an encode, as I have no way of accessing my ROM collection from here.
Ok, here you go.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
Watched the Nicovideo stream above. Wow, PoR was one of my favorite TASes on the site, and this was so much better. I love (among many other things) how much faster the final bossfight was. Clear yes vote.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
what the shit have I watched YES edit: though more seriously, I really don't like this glitch, all the pausing is boring; hopefully there'll be a non-glitched run
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Wow. This is not only so much faster than the currently published run; almost everything about it is different. There's much less character changing and the voice effects that go with it. The battles are frantic. The route also seems completely different. Could somebody more familiar with the game explain more of what's going on here? I'm curious how the players are all of a sudden able to dash a lot near the end. Regardless, this is a clear Yes vote. Very nice job!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
What just happened here? Yes vote.
Lex
LOL
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
The only thing this run is lacking is more "Jonasan! Sharotto!" I'm surprised that this much time could be saved - I guess this is what happens when glitch discovery marches on. Yes vote.
jlun2 wrote:
Acheron86 wrote:
Patiently and excitedly (yes, both) waiting for an encode, as I have no way of accessing my ROM collection from here.
Ok, here you go.
Thank you! I still don't understand why anyone would want all those comments going over the video, but whatever, I know how to turn them off. It must be a cultural thing. Having watched it, yes, it's a great improvement. Makes sense that it'd be faster to level up enough to kill the boss before he can use that slow, time-consuming wing smash attack.
mklip2001 wrote:
Could somebody more familiar with the game explain more of what's going on here? I'm curious how the players are all of a sudden able to dash a lot near the end.
PoR has a pretty easy-to-abuse suspend glitch (can be done in real time). Basically, after saving the game, if you suspend on the veeeeeery edge of a screen, the game thinks you're in the next room when you aren't; when it loads you back in, it can do crazy stuff, like launch you at high speeds or toss you into an entirely new area. At about 2:32 the runner uses this glitch to teleport himself into a room in the Throne Room area that has the Speed Up spell floating. The text is scrolled too quick to see it, but he equips that spell right as he does the next suspend, then is using it to move very quickly for the rest of the game. It's similar to the Black Panther soul in the other Castlevania games. The series as a whole is fun to play through and I recommend giving it a try if metroidvanias have any interest for you at all.
I will not use self-reference in my signature.
OK so the credits are the actual half of the whole nico video... that must mean something. Yes vote.
Player (36)
I'll take care of the encode for this. :)
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
gocha
Any
Emulator Coder, Former player
I love this new route. Yes, I enjoyed it very much. Congrats.
I am usually available on Discord server or Twitter.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Acheron86 wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
Acheron86 wrote:
Ok, here you go.
Thank you! I still don't understand why anyone would want all those comments going over the video, but whatever, I know how to turn them off. It must be a cultural thing. Having watched it, yes, it's a great improvement. Makes sense that it'd be faster to level up enough to kill the boss before he can use that slow, time-consuming wing smash attack.
mklip2001 wrote:
Could somebody more familiar with the game explain more of what's going on here? I'm curious how the players are all of a sudden able to dash a lot near the end.
PoR has a pretty easy-to-abuse suspend glitch (can be done in real time). Basically, after saving the game, if you suspend on the veeeeeery edge of a screen, the game thinks you're in the next room when you aren't; when it loads you back in, it can do crazy stuff, like launch you at high speeds or toss you into an entirely new area. At about 2:32 the runner uses this glitch to teleport himself into a room in the Throne Room area that has the Speed Up spell floating. The text is scrolled too quick to see it, but he equips that spell right as he does the next suspend, then is using it to move very quickly for the rest of the game. It's similar to the Black Panther soul in the other Castlevania games. The series as a whole is fun to play through and I recommend giving it a try if metroidvanias have any interest for you at all.
I think most of us understand the suspend glitch, since that was used in old runs. I wanna know how the hell he beat Death/Dracula so damn fast. I see a few attacks and a flurry of numbers on screen. What, did the runner just hit a "DIE MONSTER YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD!" button or something? :P YES vote. That was a damn awesome watch.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Tub
IIRC (so don't quote me on that) that's a limitation of the hit detection. Your sword will usually stay inside the enemy for several frames, but it's only supposed to damage each enemy once. Thus, the game keeps a list of "<enemy> cannot be hit again by <damage source> for <x> frames". The trick is to apply enough damage sources at the same time, to make the list overflow. The game will evict the oldest entry, and its damage source can hit again, creating a new entry, evicting the next oldest, which will hit again etc. Since gocha didn't have any objections to the route or implementation, I guess it's safe to say yes. :)
m00