Submission Text Full Submission Page
TAS (Tool Assisted Speedrun/Superplay): This run was made on an emulator, with slow speeds, frame-by-frame shooting, and re-recordings. It is not meant to show skill, but rather the game pushed to its limits, because it is purely a form of entertainment. Go to tasvideos.org for more information!

For the people who thinks this is taken off of someone or cheated its not.

FractalFusion: Judging.
FractalFusion: This movie does not give the impression of a TAS. It looks more like a casual play without death. The movie also breaks rules, such as the no-SRAM rule (this movie uses SRAM), and whoever wrote the submission text did not write it seriously.
Rejecting the run.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3180: Pictian's SNES Super Mario All-Stars "SMB1 warps" in 07:32.38
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Hi, and welcome to the site. There are several problems with this submission which lead me to believe you may not have read the [wiki Rules]Rules[/wiki] and/or [wiki Guidelines]Guidelines[/wiki] before submitting this.
  • You initially specified a branch ("princess only") that would lead people to believe this run is of a different game than it is (SMB2u as opposed to SMB1).
  • The submission starts from SRAM; this is normally disallowed without good reason (and even then normally only with a verification movie for the SRAM).
  • This run fails to beat even [movie 665]the site's oldest SMB1 warps movie[/movie], not to mention [movie 1715]the most recent[/movie]. Generally speaking, we only accept runs that beat current records.
We do encourage new TASers to continue their work; however you may want to read up on what we normally expect first, and consult with the community in the future before submitting further runs.
46 re-records and the most helpful submission text in site history. Can I vote WTF? I'd like to vote for WTF. Submitter, certainly we are glad to have you here, but I might suggest you take some time, get to know the community, discuss runs before submitting, and learn the general sense of how things work here. This is not a submission that many people will take seriously.
I will not use self-reference in my signature.
Skilled player (1706)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
This run was made on an emulator, with slow speeds, frame-by-frame shooting, and re-recordings.
Re-record count wrote:
Hm...
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Pictian, I do not know if you understand the purpose of this site or not. Please read the welcome page if you haven't already. We aim to complete games with an extremely high level of precision of input, which constitutes a form of art. The movie you have presented appears to be more like a casual play without death. Please also read sgrunt's post above, as the submission breaks some rules.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Acheron86 wrote:
the most helpful submission text in site history.
It really is. Until he told us otherwise, I totally thought he was cheating. Seriously though, welcome to the site, and please read up a little bit more on our standards before making a submission. Perhaps stop by our IRC channel and talk to some published players?
All the best, Brandon Evans
Post subject: Re: #3180: Pictian's SNES Super Mario All-Stars "SMB1 warps" in 07:32.38
Editor, Experienced player (608)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Go to http://tasvideos.org/ for more information!
This here is TASVideos. What was the point of that sentence?
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
I don't think you re-recorded enough, 54 times is way too few, way too little hardworking, and running away from a thrown hammer instead of going front doesn't count much for 'a game pushed to its limits' ... =P Try adding more technique, and faster speed, because in frame advance and slowing down the game, you actually have full control of Mario and can really go 'superplaying' the game.. Also, I don't think Mario games are much suitable for 'Takes damage to save time', because it can't be done without losing all of his speed O_o On the good side, ... hm..... ........ you didn't cheat, that's a good point! Well, it pays to read the FAQs, rules and everything that's already said, I did it and maybe I'll manage to do a TAS in the near future.. +D
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Editor, Expert player (2313)
SM-Allstars, SMB1 in 05:05.62: Nicovideo Account | Free
Editor, Skilled player (1172)
The submission process here at TASVideos (which you went through to have the movie show up in here) is generally aimed for high-precision runs, either for times that aren't obviously trivial to beat, or for runs that show off the various aspects of the game beautifully if speed isn't a primary goal. A casual run that took little research and one evening to create almost certainly won't be accepted as a submission. A Tool-Assisted Speedrun submitted here is expected to have the player use savestates, frame advance, and any other means to their fullest. Don't hold back on perfecting the run, if you plan on submitting your next run here. We're fine if you post at the forums with your stuff. But as a submission, we're looking for high quality, and judge more harshly based on that. Don't be scared by negative responses here, it's great to see someone else trying!
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Only 46 rerecords, useless use of a port, and being over 50% slower than the TAS of the original SMB warps... there's no way I could possibly vote yes on this. Therefore, no vote.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Banned User, Former player
Perhaps it's a Tool-Assisted Slowrun.
Skilled player (1706)
Warp wrote:
Perhaps it's a Tool-Assisted Slowrun.
You mean like this?
Post subject: ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT
I GET THE POINT All READY I Upload A TAS of Super Mario World & i'll try the best on it BTW what is the shortest snes game except for super mario bros
P!c7!@n
Post subject: Re: ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT
Lex
Pictian wrote:
BTW what is the shortest snes game except for super mario bros
http://tasvideos.org/936M.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCij4x9cLEo Don't take this post seriously.
Post subject: Re: ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT
Skilled player (1637)
Pictian wrote:
I GET THE POINT All READY I Upload A TAS of Super Mario World & i'll try the best on it BTW what is the shortest snes game except for super mario bros
Pictian: If it doesn't beat [1415] SNES Super Mario World "warps" by ISM & Mister in 10:22.17, it won't get published. TASes, to be accepted at this site, must be of the highest quality.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Um, you should probably pick a game that hasn't been done yet or one that you can find an improvement for. A lot of the well-known games already have runs that have taken months (if not years) of planning and optimizations, so you are not expected to get a run published without a lot of work. This site highly encourages social interaction, so please participate more on the forums (just talk to us; we don't bite) and read up on the known tricks for the games you want to run. Chances are, there's a topic for your game already, and you can learn from others that have run the game previously. To show your runs without submitting, you can use Microstorage to provide the movie file. Also, welcome to TASvideos. ^_^
Working on a mod of an old favorite in my spare time. PM for updates!
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1477)
Well. I will vote no. Because this run was too slow. I think you should watch published run firstly. You can learn from them. Like 1715M by HL. Also, I want to do this run now. So my run will submit in future.
Skilled player (1706)
Soig wrote:
Also, I want to do this run now. So my run will submit in future.
Well, if you want to TAS this game, there better be a reason why it should be published along side the current SMB movies. Else the auidence might not be impressed.
GabCM
He/Him
sgrunt wrote:
This run fails to beat even [movie 665]the site's oldest SMB1 warps movie[/movie], not to mention [movie 1715]the most recent[/movie].
But these runs are based on the NES version, while Pictian's run is based on the more perfect SNES version. It's probably simply a bad game choice because of that.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
I was wondering when this would be rejected, given the comments on the other crap submission.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Banned User, Former player
Sir VG wrote:
I was wondering when this would be rejected, given the comments on the other crap submission.
The three-day rule still applies, which is a good thing. Kudos to the judges for maintaining consistency on this.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Submitted: 06.13.2011 20:01 Grued: 06.18.2011 13:09
That's 5 days, sir.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Ironically, the judges broke the rule with the other submission, which was cancelled by DarkKobold the same day it was submitted.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.